Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I have a 1991 Ford Tempo 2.3 lt, feul injected. my old tank has a hole in the bottom side of the tank i got a new replacement tank with the feulpump inside of it. Now i do my own mechanic work, i would like to know how i can switch out tanks with out getting lost.
Lakota

·
Registered
162 Posts
Haynes has a good explenation of dropping the tank.

I lowered it to patch a tank one winter but didn't take it completely off. Basically you need to trip the fuel cut off switch in the trunk (driver side behind the carpet) or atleast unplug it. You can trip it by unbolting it and tapping it against the support beam it's bolted too. It has a circuit breaker type button that will pop out (remember to reset it when you are done).

Crank the car afew times to remove any excess fuel or pressure from the lines.

Beyond that, you want to remove as much gas as possible from the tank. Either by driving it before you start working on it or by sphyining it out.

The straps are held on in the front with nuts that attach to studs that hang down. Loosen the straps and they will come down and be able to be moved out of the way. I'd highly suggest having a floor jack and a block of wood handy. This allows you to lower the tank slowly. I also used a long (about 3 foot) peice of wood and some block so when I lower the tank, I could support the block of wood on the blocks.

From here just loosen your electrical connections and hoses, This would be a fuel line hose, a return line hose, and the filler hose. Then just wiggle the old tank out. You may have issues with the ebrake cable/brackets on the subframe.

Installation is basically the reverse. I'll try to see if my 92 shop manual has anything of value and put together a PDF if I can. Also, haynes is only about $15 and well worth it for alot of general car maintance things.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts