Ford Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at replacing the cab on my '87 F-250 given that the floor is rotten over the front driver side mount (causing the cab to lean), and there's body damage around the driver side door preventing it from closing completely (and causing the rain that rotted out the floor to enter). Seems like I can get a cab for a great time d price from the near y junkyards.

The question, though, is about transport. I have a flatbed trailer that shouldn't have any trouble carrying a cab (big enough and a cab falls well enough within the trailer's cargo capacity). However, I'm uncertain as to how to properly secure a cab to the trailer. I'm assuming I ought to rest it on some wood beams, but not sure exactly where underneath the cab they should be positioned. Also unsure about where to position the cargo straps to avoid damaging the clearance lights on the roof. Maybe open the doors, strap across the floor, then close the doors?

·
Super Moderator
1,905 Posts
Rest the cab at the point where the mounting "biscuits" bolt to the cab. You are correct, the only safe place to strap the cab without damage is through the floor. You could lightly cinch a strap over the cab for emergencys, but too tight would damage the roof panel. I would also strap the cab lightly from the rear (through the doors) in case of an emergency stop. Perhaps you could also run a strap over the cowl or find an attachment point on the firewall. I have only done this once with a '56 Ford cab, but we travelled from Arizona to SoCal without mishap. Good luck!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Groovy. Thanks for the info. I figured those spots would be best, just wanted verification. And thanks for tip to prevent the cab from sliding forward.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. For now, though, I've had to put it off for a bit. Project money got eaten up by crazy stuff happening. Hate it when that happens. That's why my dad was never able to replace the convertible top on his Mustang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts