Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone let me know what sort of costs are involved in getting springs reset (properly and correctly) and if they know of any place in Melb that does it?

Also, does anyone know if the rear springs on a XR6 HP (live axle) are the same as on the XR6 VCT (IRS)????????

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
ITSOVR - XR8 has had his reset, i spoke to him breifly about where he got it done.
His was done in Sunshine @ the suspension centre (i think) and when i rang to get a price it was $260 for all 4 springs drive in and drive out.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Re-setting a coil spring lower is a bad idea IMO.
When a car is lowered, suspension travel is reduced.
When suspension travel is reduced, the car is more likely to bottom out and hit bump stops. Typically what is done to elimenate this is to have lower, but also stiffer springs as this stops the car from bottoming and hitting bump stops.
Re-setting a standard spring, unfortunately keeps the standard spring rate, which will now be too soft considering it's new (lowered) height.

You're much better off fitting new lowered and stiffer springs.

BTW, the springs are different from live axle to IRS.

Rick.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree Soxx but I'm am just looking at different options and prices. Fortunatly the XR springs on my car are quite stiff so I think that resetting them "may" be an option. If resetting springs is $260 then I would probably just buy the K-Mac lower springs for $330 and have them fitted. Either way, I'm just curious to hear what others have done and what has been the result.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
i can't see how a reset spring would be the same stiffness.
cutting springs i'd assume were the same stiffness but not resetting them.

what does it cost to purchase and fit a set of springs?
the option i suggested above is $260 which includes removal/fitting.

oh, and ITSOVR kept standard shocks i beleive.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Ok, quick spring lesson....

2 things form the 'rate' of a coil spring.
1, the wire gauge, or thickness.
2, the amount of 'active' coils.
Change either of these and the rate of the spring will change.

Re-setting coils simply heats them and compresses them leaving the same wire thickness and same amount of active coils. Hence the reason why we end up with a spring which is the same rate as the original.

Cutting coils actually stiffens a spring because you have reduced the amount of active coils.
Less active coils = stiffer.
More active coils = softer.

Aftermarket springs will typically use thicker wire and/less active coils.

IMO, cutting a coil spring actually produces a better 'lower' spring than re-setting.
Unfortunately the practise of coil cutting is illegal (ridiculous law) and as a consequence people think it's dangerous.

There was a thread started a while back about it called 'Clipping springs'.

Rick.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
yeah i read the thread about clipping springs, but still can't see the connection between a reset spring retaining its original rate, infact i'd assume it were the oposite with cut springs retaining the original spring rate and a reset spring being stiffer.
i can accept that i am possibly wrong, but its just how i envisioned it :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
personally, i think you may aswell purchase new springs. i got 4 kings for $170, brand spankers.

it cost me 2 hungy to get them fitted!!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
the *only* thing stopping me getting superlows is that i have no idea how the car will sit after its done.
i've seen 2 EL's that are pretty much the same (colour, 17" wheels) and both had superlows, one was atleast an inch lower then the other...
if i knew how mine was gunna sit then np's, but since i dont, i don't wanna go and buy springs, get them installed and then be worried about how the car is sitting, LPG doesn't help either

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
EFFalcon said:
the *only* thing stopping me getting superlows is that i have no idea how the car will sit after its done.
i've seen 2 EL's that are pretty much the same (colour, 17" wheels) and both had superlows, one was atleast an inch lower then the other...
if i knew how mine was gunna sit then np's, but since i dont, i don't wanna go and buy springs, get them installed and then be worried about how the car is sitting, LPG doesn't help either
Was mine the higher of the 2?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Soxx said:
Ok, quick spring lesson....

2 things form the 'rate' of a coil spring.
1, the wire gauge, or thickness.
2, the amount of 'active' coils.
Change either of these and the rate of the spring will change.

Re-setting coils simply heats them and compresses them leaving the same wire thickness and same amount of active coils. Hence the reason why we end up with a spring which is the same rate as the original.

Cutting coils actually stiffens a spring because you have reduced the amount of active coils.
Less active coils = stiffer.
More active coils = softer.

Aftermarket springs will typically use thicker wire and/less active coils.

IMO, cutting a coil spring actually produces a better 'lower' spring than re-setting.
Unfortunately the practise of coil cutting is illegal (ridiculous law) and as a consequence people think it's dangerous.

There was a thread started a while back about it called 'Clipping springs'.

Rick.
One major thing to remember no matter the physics.

Cutting springs is illegal.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Cobra: actually i didnt count urs, and yours was inbetween!

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
xacoupe said:
One major thing to remember no matter the physics.
Cutting springs is illegal.
Quite true, though so is going over the speed limit, and none of us ever do that either........

Rick.

·
BOFH
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Either way, this is getting off topic. I wont be cutting my springs regardless so it's really a mute point.
Now resetting is both a legal and accepted alternative and I am just trying to research it a bit. I have not decieded to do it, I am just looking at it.

Regardless of whether cutting springs is better or not is not the issue, it's illegal and I'm not interested in voiding my insurance because of it.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
That's cool, don't get me wrong, cutting springs is illegal, period.
I don't encourage anyone to do anything illegal, and I certainly don't think you should do anything you're not comfortable with.

I was just pointing out the common myths regarding the process of cutting coil springs.

As I said to you in a different thread, you should check out the Lovells springs as I feel they are better than K-mac as the Lovells are single rate.
I have had K-Macs on a few different cars and in all cases the Lovells performed better.
They will also be far better than re-setting your standard springs as that is a definite backwards step.
For the extra (small) amount of money, it's a no brainer.

Rick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts