Ford Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between retreads & remoulds? Or are they essentially the same thing?

Are they made differently to each other? Is one safer than the other?

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Retread - just the tread part is put on old tyre.
Remould - sides and tread is put on old tyre.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which is safer and are there any pros and cons?

·
3,666 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't use either. I thought that remoulds would be better than retreads as the sidewall would be "reinforced".

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So your saying you would prefer a cheap new korean made tyre like sava or barum over a remould?

·
3,666 Posts
yeah - but double check the speed rating of the korean tyres.

Have had a remould warp on me, and I've seen retreads fail... I'd only use them as a last resort, and then only as a temporary measure.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is my intention. Only till I can afford new tyres, and decent ones at that! Cheers for that!

·
3,666 Posts
no worries! And good luck with the 17's - get em before the mrs changes her mind!!!

·
345 Posts
With retreads and remoulds you get good ones and crap ones.Go to a good tyre dealer and find out what brand they are using.Motorway remoulds are good at $70ea. and Gripfast retreads are good at $35ea.Both are speed rated at 140ks,drive within the limitations of the tyre and you shouldn't have a problem.The above prices are for 15in.

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
If you just want some temporarily, I wouldnt even take a glance at retreads, remoulds, or cheap korean shit....

Head down to your local tyre joint and get some 2nd handies from them, even if they are worn, they will most probably be better than a retread, etc.

The front tyres on my car are very close to unroadworthy. The sides have worn down very very close to the tread markers, but still they grip better than a lot of tyres I have used before.

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
ive got brand new tyers on my car, and the oens before were second hand, with about 70 tread....

·
D.T.A
246 Posts
have a look at www.motorway-tyres.com.au I have had their 16's on the front of my EF Falcon 225/55/R16' s fitted for $90 each!!! they did over 5000kms with em before i sold the vehicle the they were on I had done over 70,000kms with that car and that was the thrid set of tires and the best handling one's in all weather conditions to date and they were remold's the difference between a "retread" with a new belt (tread) fitted and a side walled retread is they are still a retread a "true" remold however is a different thing what happens is that the original tire is striped off all rubber and is left with the steel cage that is how all tires start (fact) they are then x rayed then they're capped using original tecnique's and their own tread designs and sizes, my brother has a set of 4x4 tires on his scout and has done thus far over 10,000kms with them and they still look like new handle fantastically and are australian made! He still hasn't had one problem with them and recently we stuck a set of motorway taxi's onto the old ladys car and she loves em too better grip than she had from her old dunlops and these even though are supposed to be hard wearing are extreamly soft treaded tire!
Give em a go as they really are a great brand and for 205/65/R15's the cost was $75 each fitted and balanced better value than a shit korean thats shit in the wet etc.. and just over a speed limited retread!
hope this helps ya out.
Cheers
Nev

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks man, good to know they are doing you well!

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
IMO they should be illegal on anything but trailers.

I saw one let got one and it put the car right into the barrier......

When you drive along the FWY, how many treads do you see? I'll pass thank you.

·
D.T.A
246 Posts
LTDHO said:
IMO they should be illegal on anything but trailers.

I saw one let got one and it put the car right into the barrier......

When you drive along the FWY, how many treads do you see? I'll pass thank you.
Thats your opinion but, I've personally seen truck tires that have been sucessfully recapped aver 20 times and never loose a belt!! The biggest problems even with trucks that run 'em is incorrect tire pressures!!! Most running over 20psi more than the should, they get hot then they let go, just like the ones you see / saw let go on the car by the way what psi were they running? were they balanced etc.. all factors that dont get looked into!

It's like 4 x4's and trailers when a trailer whips and causes a crash it's put down to just a 4x4 went over!
When the real reasoning is the trailer caused a massive trailer whips, the driver didn't know what to do and lost it, Seen it before!

Now as for the motorway tires the ones they do are of the highest quality in australia, and as I said in my other post the motor-way "mono forms" which is what I have had and brothers & mothers cars have got currently are in fact stripped back to the steel cage, x rayed and then have the tread put back on them Just like every other tire manufactures starts any tire (fact!) these shity china type recaps yes they are shit and ones that dont pass some sort of quality assurance type of testing should be illigal to sell but all the tyres that motorway make are of such a quality that they run full testing's for reliabilty, speed handling, durability etc... but the onis comes back to the driver, tire companies recomend weekly checks of tire pressures but once again how many people would do it?? I dont check mine for 2-3 weeks at a time!

If people ignore what spec's and the manufacturer's recomendations what'd ya think happens? what would happen if you left your oil unchecked for a solid 12 mths??
As for the motor way "mono forms" I'd have no problem putting my future wife, kids etc in a car with these tires on them cause I've seen their manufacturing plant in Stawell in Vic (call in if your up there they'll show ya around) and after seeing the process's that they manufacture & torture test them all to I'd always give them a look into for my tire needs!!
as I said I can understand some concern but like I said are these cheap ones that let go? Been cared for properly etc??

I saw a brand new 18 inch dunlop let go the other week upon talking to the owner they cost over $450 each!!!! and they had done only 2000kms!!! and were checked weekly when he polished his new wheels on his dunnydore and the frightning thing was this was a Z (240+kmph) rated tire!!!!!
very scary! I offered my opinion and personal experiance's with this great company as "blue oval" wanted some info and I threw in my experiances with several sets of their tires, It's like everything in life you get what you pay for buy a cheap $35 china or korean recap and risk you life, But want something good that wont split tear come off and is to a high standard buy motorways!
want the same quality manufactured tire as everyone else in australia makes buy their monoforms!
cheers
Nev

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Nev, something we all gotta keep in mind I guess. regular Tyre pressure, balancing, etc all come into consideration for any type and brand out there.

Interesting topic & responses nonetheless. Keep them coming!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Personally I think retreads and remoulds should be outlawed!!

Some people have had a good run out of these but I know plenty who havent. I agree with MADXF, try for second hand tyres and use remoulds as a last resort.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts