Ford Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
CoupeCruiser09 said:
Will this possibly provide a boost for Ethanol production, such that car manufacturers adapt their engines! Not real good for the old bangers is it? Does anyone know much details of the issues with ethanol?
This is an interesting question.

Brazil has been running a nation-wide experiment with ethanol in cars, and you can read about their experiences online. They have had a percentage of the population running on an 85% eth/15% petrol. Another section of the population runs on 100% ethanol.

Interestingly, pure ethanol is 118 RON. Also, it kills the need for a cat. It also does not leave deposits in your fuel system.

The big whinge a year ago about ethanol levels in fuel, I think, was probably (oil) industry driven, but I may be wrong... maybe some of you know more about the problems they were touting.

Some modifications are needed for earlier engines, but I reckon this is an acceptable scenario, considering what we spend on getting extra horses out of our cars anyway. And how many people mod their cars so they can run straight ULP without the additive?

Check out this link: http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/

That's where I started reading about it.

I can tell you one thing... I am at the lower end of the economic scale. No mint GTHO for me I'm afraid... but no matter what, if fuel becomes that prohibitively expensive I will seriously look at alternatives to keep my classic going.

For a start I already make my own home brew... but that's because I like the results I get. Better than commercial beer anyday!

Dan

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
CoupeCruiser09 said:
Will this possibly provide a boost for Ethanol production, such that car manufacturers adapt their engines! Not real good for the old bangers is it? Does anyone know much details of the issues with ethanol?
Ethanol is a joke. It takes more energy to produce the ethanol than the ethanol provides. In addition it attracts water, rots rubber and has far less energy per volume than petrol.

There is talk that the government is planning on making it's inclusion into fuel mandatory. I sure hope it doesn't get into the high octane fuels.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I will seriously consider selling my monday to friday LPG XF and buying a postie bike before I give up my weekend 351 powered XA.

I reckon petrol is cheap considering the fun i have driving the xa. its all a perspective thing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mike75 said:
Seen a show on telly last week with one oil expert stated that "fuel cost will be back to normal in a year" only problem is what year
ok so whats a normal price?$1.20? 90c?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anthony P said:
I reckon it will hit big time at the lower end of the hobby.Those who can afford to pay 150 grand for a 35 year old Falcon wont be affected but the bloke who has a 10-15 grand toy will be making some tough decisions.Its going to be hard for some blokes to justify having 10-15 large sitting in the garage getting driven less and less because all his petrol money is being used to run his other driver and probably his wife's too.
It will also affect wreckers,mechanics,panel beaters,trimmers etc as guys who keep their cars will be spending more to run them and other spending will decline.Not everyone earns 80 grand a year and the line has to be drawn somewhere.
It also has the effect on the avaage joe's like myself who works in a service industry, We are already seeing it first hand (we fix consumer electronics) & we are seeing less work comming in because of high fuel prices & cheap imports from China.

High petrol prices will the final nail in the coffin for a lot small bussinesses, Mark my words there is a fuel led recession coming & it's going to be real bad depending on what your occupation is...

·
Registered
463 Posts
xbgs351 said:
Ethanol is a joke. It takes more energy to produce the ethanol than the ethanol provides. In addition it attracts water, rots rubber and has far less energy per volume than petrol.

There is talk that the government is planning on making it's inclusion into fuel mandatory. I sure hope it doesn't get into the high octane fuels.
The more energy to produce it thing may be a bit of a furphy. It seems to be pushed by the greenie car hating brigade and is not denied by the oil industry.
It would be an interesting excercise to add up the inputs required to produce a litre of petrol in a similar manner, I've yet to see a solar powered fuel refinery. Using the formula that people use to discredit ethanol you would have to include the energy used in exploration, recovering and transporting crude, refining, transporting and distribution of petrol. I reckon it wouldnt be too hard to make the figures add up so that more energy is spent refining a litre of petrol than is contained in the fuel.
As for the issues around water contamination, less power output etc I remember an article in Street Machine in 1985 predicting that ULP would bring the end of the modified car scene. It obviously hasn't and technology has evolved to meet the challenge. Anyone who has driven an unleaded XF would agree that there was a definate power loss with the introduction of new technology but compare the emissions and power outputs of an XR6T with a 250 2v XY and you would have to agree that there has been a steady improvement.

Regards,
Tote

·
New toy in the shed
563 Posts
I dont really care what it cost to run the XC. The price goes up you pay the price goes down you pay. You just choose were you drive it thats all.

·
'77 XC Wagon in progress
451 Posts
I had another thought on this one this morning, prompted by the young lady at the servo when I sloshed in 60 litres at $1.30 a litre (don't shoot me down for "that's cheap compared to what I have to pay!" - I'm in QLD!).

She said something like "Oooh, I'll bet that stings a bit, filling *that* up..."

To which I replied, completely off the top of my head: "Doesn't bother me provided they don't hike the interest rates up; I've got a big mortgage so a few more cents in petrol is much better than a few hundred bucks a month more on my mortgage."

And I did some sums here at work today. I'm right - half a point rise will cost me FAR more every month than a 50% rise in petrol prices. This means two things:

1. Provided interest rates don't shift for the short term, petrol can hit $2 a litre before I start to lose sleep over it.
2. I think I've got a bloody big mortgage! ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
The first message in this thread was dated in May. Wow, a bunch of price increase has happened since that time. I've paid as high as $3.00 (dollars) per gallon, but I noticed tonight that the price here in central texas has gone down to $2.50 per gallon. That's in only a few days. Gas prices are all over the map these days.

·
Magnificence in Motion
318 Posts
Neeek said:
I had another thought on this one this morning, prompted by the young lady at the servo when I sloshed in 60 litres at $1.30 a litre (don't shoot me down for "that's cheap compared to what I have to pay!" - I'm in QLD!).

She said something like "Oooh, I'll bet that stings a bit, filling *that* up..."

To which I replied, completely off the top of my head: "Doesn't bother me provided they don't hike the interest rates up; I've got a big mortgage so a few more cents in petrol is much better than a few hundred bucks a month more on my mortgage."

And I did some sums here at work today. I'm right - half a point rise will cost me FAR more every month than a 50% rise in petrol prices. This means two things:

1. Provided interest rates don't shift for the short term, petrol can hit $2 a litre before I start to lose sleep over it.
2. I think I've got a bloody big mortgage! ;)
The price of fuel does'nt bother me either, she's my hobby/entertainment/boredom stopper etc, so I drive her, I fill her up and I don't care what it costs. The fuel cost is a small price to pay for the enjoyment I get out of her especially compared to alcohol, movies, restaurants etc!!

I'm a little bit lucky too Neeek, I own my house, so that leaves more for fuel!

·
PHAT COUPES
896 Posts
I think its not our toys that bother us to fill but more likely our daily driver that gets to be a pain in the pocket .
Its starting to cost alot more to go to work and back which inturn means we are earning less .
Still it won't burst muscle cars we learnt to deal with that a while ago

·
XA GS FAIRMONT 302
449 Posts
Chartoo said:
The bubble has to burst sometime. I mean $190, 000 foir a xy gt ph3 is heavy but for a car you cant afford to run because fuel is through the roof is nuts.
Personally I think if you can afford a Phase 3 a tank of petrol for $90 is not going to bother you.

Chartoo said:
Its not impossible to forsee $4 or $5 a litre in the future. Oil production is at max at the moment and resevers are running low. I think the world is just starting to run out of oil.
It was also predicted the world would run out of oil in the late 70's early 80's. Latest I have heard is 2060 for the oil to run out. By then it should not be much of a problem as car's should be a different power source.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Doing the maths at around 20 litres/100km, $1.50/litre, a trip from Wodonga to Dubbo and back to see my brother will cost about $330.

An expensive prospect compared to taking the company car!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well my Daily Driver XB Coupe has retired to the garage awaiting me to pull the engine and do a whole bunch of work..... Got a new daily... 1989 Corolla Seca $1000 bucks, rebuilt engine, heaps o rego. I see alot of people doing the same in the future. Leaving their toys for weekends and driving 4cyl as dailys.

·
Registered
442 Posts
We dont have to much to winge about. I just Arrived in London this morning. Petrol is a about 1.10 to 1.15 Pounds, Thats $2.70 a liter. WHOA.

Glad I aint paying, lol

Steve

·
PHAT COUPES
896 Posts
jg66me said:
We dont have to much to winge about. I just Arrived in London this morning. Petrol is a about 1.10 to 1.15 Pounds, Thats $2.70 a liter. WHOA.

Glad I aint paying, lol

Steve
Its not so bad if you are getting paid in pounds .
If you take into acount that they earn the same as us but in pounds it works out they are paying the same as us here in aussie .
It only works out more if you are trying to pay with aussie dallors

·
Table 5
13 Posts
tony xa said:
Its not so bad if you are getting paid in pounds .
If you take into acount that they earn the same as us but in pounds it works out they are paying the same as us here in aussie .
It only works out more if you are trying to pay with aussie dallors

Yeah - plus the fact you could drive the length of the country on two tanks of fuel...

21 - 40 of 42 Posts