Ford Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering upgrading the Brakes on my AU1. I have found of late that heavy breaking is producing a strong brake smell that even comes in through the A/C vents.

The standard front rotors and pads are about 1 year old. The car is due shortly for its next 5000km service so I will have them looked at then to see if there are any problems.

Surfing around I have found these links.

http://www.dba.com.au/slotted.htm

http://www.bendix.com.au/_products_ultimate.asp

Has anybody else tried the DBA slotted rotors and Bendix Ultimates combination?

I checked the prices on here http://www.discpads.com/ to get an idea how much it costs.

Rotors: F/R ~$119/110,
Pads: F/R ~$76/67

The cost seems reasonable, but is it worth the effort?

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
I have DBA Slotted and Bendix Ultimates on my baby.

They are OK... but I am getting Green stuff pads shortly as they are apparently a lot better.

I got my rotors and pads from Disc pads too. They where a LOT cheaper than anywhere else I could find.
If you are in Sydney and near silverwater... you can pick them up and save the $20 postage fee.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
bbbbbbbrakes

I've just had the DBA Slotted rotors and Bendix ultimates fitted today (AU1 XR8). I got them through Discpads.com. I'll post some photos tomorrow. As far as how they go I can't say just yet, I'll have to wait until the wife gets home. My decision to go for this combination was from first speaking to DBA and reading through the couple of articles that they had about the XR8 cop cars that had the rotor upgrade and secondly speaking to the tech guys at Bendix who were able to recommend Ultimates for both the vehicle and my driving style. I didn't go for a complete upgrade to bigger rotors and 4 spot calipers mainly for the reason that the car does 99% country road/freeway driving and 1% absolutely flogging the bejeesus out of it.

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Yep, unless you're willing to spend over $1k on brake mods, the DBA's / Bendix Ultimates are a fantastic value-for-money upgrade. I have been running this combo for about 18months now, and it's proven quite adequate. Haven't induced any really bad fade, only very very mild fade. I also haven't experienced the dreaded cracking so often alluded to with the x-drilled rotors. It's an old issue and will no doubt cause a few blue-faced arguments.

In any respect, for the money, a great upgrade. I can't comment on Greenstuff cause I've never tried them, but I have also heard good things about them.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the DBA Gold's on my AU1 XR8. They work very well. I'm using Bendix Ultimates as well.

I had them on my EF XR8 as well, and they did 20 laps of Pukekophe without fade. That was without any replacement of the factory hoses or anything.

:s2: :s2:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
XLR8 said:

Fantastic choice Ian, just got a quote for mine.....
Yeah they are and they are getting better. They leave the premium jobs for dead. (not brembo)

You talking to John are you. If you are tell him I said hi and I am still reying to send more people his way.

Just a side note. John from cebco gave me excellent service and would highly recommend this company

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
HSE2 said:

Yeah they are and they are getting better. They leave the premium jobs for dead. (not brembo)

You talking to John are you. If you are tell him I said hi and I am still reying to send more people his way.

Just a side note. John from cebco gave me excellent service and would highly recommend this company
Yes it was John i dealt with........

Cebco are offfering a genuine 10% discount to all NSWTOC Member too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Jase_ELXR8 said:
How are the ultimates for dust, rotor wear and pad wear????
I don't think there is any more dust than the factory pads, but there definetly isn't less. Pad wear is a bit higher (due to rotor slots). I'm not sure on Rotor wear yet.

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
I've had Green Stuff pads and drilled/slotted rotors on the front of my car for about 7 months now. The initial impression was excellent with terrific feel and really solid stopping grunt, but after about 4 months I developed slight pulsing/shuddering thru the steering under light braking which new tyres did nothing to change (normal/heavy braking still feels great). I inspected the front brakes - especially the sliders for free movement - aok. The rotors looked ok except for some small cracks around many of the holes and also dark "smears" extending from each of the holes for about a centimeter. Pads also looked fine and of course the bearings were ok too.

I completely replaced the brake fluid with new DOT4 stuff - completely bleeding the system in the process - and it made some difference to feel (improvement) but not to the basic problem.

Keeping in mind that the brakes feel fine except under light pressure, I've been wondering if the dark smears are from the Green Stuff compound reacting badly to being too cool in the localised areas of the holes.

Anyway, I've got slotted rotors on order and a full set of Ultimates on the bench awaiting their arrival.

As a matter of interest, in 7 months the Green Stuff pads have caused noticeable wear to the rotors - ie. slight lipping is evident.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Yeah i'll be going for slotted rotors as opposed to slotted and drilled.

But in the pad department looks like i'll go for Bendix Standards.

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
I actually only found out that Ultimates are Kevlar composite when they arrived and I looked at the box - when I ordered them it was on the basis that I thought they were an in-between step between std pads and metallics. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have got just stds or semi metallics.

Anyway, I've bought them now and will try them.:eek:o1:

·
Registered
540 Posts
ebc green stuff and slotted that will do the job.

whats the difference between green & yellow stuff. there is another colour to anyone know whats going on.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
EDFUTURA said:
I've had Green Stuff pads and drilled/slotted rotors on the front of my car for about 7 months now. The initial impression was excellent with terrific feel and really solid stopping grunt, but after about 4 months I developed slight pulsing/shuddering thru the steering under light braking which new tyres did nothing to change (normal/heavy braking still feels great). I inspected the front brakes - especially the sliders for free movement - aok. The rotors looked ok except for some small cracks around many of the holes and also dark "smears" extending from each of the holes for about a centimeter. Pads also looked fine and of course the bearings were ok too.

I completely replaced the brake fluid with new DOT4 stuff - completely bleeding the system in the process - and it made some difference to feel (improvement) but not to the basic problem.

Keeping in mind that the brakes feel fine except under light pressure, I've been wondering if the dark smears are from the Green Stuff compound reacting badly to being too cool in the localised areas of the holes.

Anyway, I've got slotted rotors on order and a full set of Ultimates on the bench awaiting their arrival.

As a matter of interest, in 7 months the Green Stuff pads have caused noticeable wear to the rotors - ie. slight lipping is evident.
Are the dark smears on the disc blueish colour? Because if they are, it sounds like the rotors have overheated at one stage. Also the shuddering your experiencing probably means they are slightly warped, which is also an indication of overheating.

·
Australian Falcon Member
865 Posts
No, the "smears" really look to be "spotting" of some sort of material on the discs - you can feel it with fingernail (doesn't actually come off though - it's really well cooked on). It's only a 6cyl Futura so I doubt I'd be able to push it to the point of overheating that badly even if I tried - I certainly haven't felt like I was ever pushing that hard (mind you my suspension is pretty well set up now:s4 ). Also, the shuddering only happens under light brake pressure and even then to be honest it doesn't happen all the time (maybe 70%) - I'd imagine that warped discs would result in at least some feedback at all pressures and all the time? And no, the smears aren't grease flung out from the centre and comming out thru the holes - I checked for that too.

Got a call earlier - the new rotors have arrived so I'll be picking them up tomorrow and fitting them in the next few days.

If I were to approach the whole thing truely scientifically, I'd fit the Ultimates alone first to determine if the pad material was the cause alone, but I'm not that patient.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.