Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this problem ever since I bought the truck in March and now it seems like its getting worse. It really runs bad when you first start it up after it's been sitting a while--say overnight. After it warms up it gets better, but still enough to slightly shake the truck back and forth when your sitting in it. I have done pretty much everything I can think of. Which includes-- spark plugs, DPFE sensor, sea foam like 10 times, upper/lower intake gaskets, all hoses appear to be fine. It kinda sounds like either a fuel problem or a sensor problem....Any ideas???? 1997 Ranger, 4.0L, 5 speed, 148k :whoaa:

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it smooths out at higher RPMs you might try an Idle Air Control Valve, but this usually causes the Check Engine light to come on. If rough through all RPMs, could be a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just rough at cold idle. Especially when first started. Runs fine while driving. No hesitation or missing. :driver:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I should just go ahead and replace the upper and lower intake gaskets....Man, I hope that helps...It's not gonna be warm that much longer...:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 99' 4.0 had a cold start problem also, it was the o-rngs in the upper intake. It would start and idle rough for several seconds untile the o-rings expanded just enogh to stop the air leak, after that the truck ran perfect.
I read on another forum that is was a big problem on 97's. I hope U find the problem.

mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the info....I am planning on replacing the upper and lower intake gaskets, and the fuel rail gasket while I'm at it....I am also gonna check the EGR Valve and replace the Canister Purge Valve.....If none of that helps, then fucc it....I give up....But I appreciate all the suggestions!!!!! :priest: I also wonder if I might have a leaky injector or fuel pressure regulator??????

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I fixed whatever was wrong. I removed the upper intake and used a baby bottle brush and some carb cleaner to clean out the ports. Then I retorqued the lower intake. It seemed loose to me......The lowest my torque wrench goes is 20 ft. lbs (1/2 in.) so i just torqued the bolts to that. And cleaned out the ports on the lower as well....Put it all back together with a new upper intake gasket and it fired right up just fine!....Not to mention it smoked waaaaaay more than any time i've used seafoam in it....It must be extra clean....Tons of power now! :hy: :driver:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem on my '97 Explorer 5.0 V8. Sometimes it would barely idle and stall out unless I kept a foot on the accelerator while at a stop. This seemed to happen only on cold and/or wet mornings, and the problem would go away as the engine came up to normal temperature.

I removed the Idle Air Control valve (IAC, on top of the intake manifold, righthand side; 2 10mm bolts). The valve plunger and return spring had a lot of dry black carbon deposits. It was very hard to move the valve with a pair of needle nose pliers. Since a new valve is upwards of $50, I tried something cheap and simple: WD-40. After lubing up the shaft and spring and letting it sit about 10 minutes, I worked the valve back and forth a few times with pliers (it moved very easily now) and reinstalled the valve (with some high temp silicon RTV on the gasket, which had cracked on removal).

That was about a month ago and the problem seems to have gone away, despite some very cold, wet and even icy conditions since.

Best regards,
Walt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having this problem ever since I bought the truck in March and now it seems like its getting worse. It really runs bad when you first start it up after it's been sitting a while--say overnight. After it warms up it gets better, but still enough to slightly shake the truck back and forth when your sitting in it. I have done pretty much everything I can think of. Which includes-- spark plugs, DPFE sensor, sea foam like 10 times, upper/lower intake gaskets, all hoses appear to be fine. It kinda sounds like either a fuel problem or a sensor problem....Any ideas???? 1997 Ranger, 4.0L, 5 speed, 148k :whoaa:
I had a 2007 Ford Ranger 4.0 L v6 in my shop with a rough run engine with no check engine light and no codes week hydro from coil to feed right side , replace coil pack engine runs better but still a vibration compression test good all at 200 psi plugs like new same goes for the wires . Looked a Harmonic balancer but could not see a problem with it . so i decided to remove it , put my finger in hole and there was a round peace of heavy metal lose , so replace the balancer and engine supper smooth now . I used a dorman balancer did not like the OEM one .

·
Super Moderator
8,288 Posts
Don't think they'll get this. That post was from 2007.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts