Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as i am new to this forum is there somebody here that could help me to identify a GT RPO 83 engine, Cheer`s Harold

·
Registered
12 Posts
try and find australian muscle car from last year with a black xa on cover
very useful , dispells alot of piss talk about rpo 083 , but in my opinion unless you get it for a good price dont bother because i have seen 2 xa gt's which both owners claimed to be rpo83 but one owner had the car fitted with bigger carb and headers fitted by dealer just after delivery so if it wasnt delivered how can it be rpo ?
put a bigger carb ans extractors on any xa and it will probably go better than rpo any way, the xa is my favourite falcon by the way

·
Registered
540 Posts
From memory they were all built around August '72. They had the 7000 rpm tacho, 780 holley, manual choke and HM headers. To be absolutely sure, contact Ford and ask them for a history report on your/to be purchased car. Obviously, under the options, 83 should be listed.

Paul

·
Go the GT's
650 Posts
The Black car on the AMC Mag is Mark's car. The only way to know for shure is to get in touch with Ford on 13FORD for an early vehicle report. If the car has option 83 then its an RPO, if not well.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think RPOs were built in May, July and August, 1973, with the vast majority in August. If you have an August, 1973 XA GT, you have a more than two to one chance it is an RPO.

·
Registered
138 Posts
if you only have the engine then you must find what car it came from and then find out if that car had option 83 i dont think any one could tell just from engine numbers alone

·
Registered
442 Posts
xagt_coupe said:
The Black car on the AMC Mag is Mark's car. The only way to know for shure is to get in touch with Ford on 13FORD for an early vehicle report. If the car has option 83 then its an RPO, if not well.....
Donnys advice is the best way to find out. 780 vac sec with ford part number is a good pointer along with HM headers.

Steve

PS Donny,

I get up Brissy way a fair bit these days with work, if you fancy meeting up for a beer and a chin wag PM me.

·
BA Barracus
95 Posts
To add to previous posts, the rpo engine had a winged sump, but these were also used in other models due to excess of engines for the PHASE4 build.

:beerbottl

·
Registered
330 Posts
e38e49 said:
Hi, as i am new to this forum is there somebody here that could help me to identify a GT RPO 83 engine, Cheer`s Harold
Check with Mark as above post said.
Not all RPO's had winged sump.
Just because it has ford stamped 780 doesn't mean it's an rpo.
If it's GT stuff always check with someone who knows what they're talking about and looking at.

·
Approach with caution.
1,043 Posts
AU2XR85.0 said:
To add to previous posts, the rpo engine had a winged sump, but these were also used in other models due to excess of engines for the PHASE4 build.

:beerbottl
The RPO NEVER had a winged sump, this is just one of the myths (along with 4 bolt block, 8000 rpm tacho etc).

·
XA GS FAIRMONT 302
449 Posts
The is no set spec's for an rpo vehical. After the supercar scare ford just wanted to get rid of all the phase 4 bits as fast as they could. This meant the bits were randomly put on cars. There have been arguments in the past between rpo owners saying each others cars are different so one cannot be an rpo. It was just a case of you got this sir on your car and you got this part on your car sir.

·
Approach with caution.
1,043 Posts
rfk1 said:
It'll be a "D" block, 4 ********* & big sump.
RPO's were square block, 4 ********* and STANDARD sump.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It is a easily visible casting mark on the front of the block just behind the water pump. Casting numbers are on the sides & not real easy to see. If I can find some good photos........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rfk1 said:
It is a easily visible casting mark on the front of the block just behind the water pump. Casting numbers are on the sides & not real easy to see. If I can find some good photos........
yes, but why do sum motors have a D & others have a square?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts