Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
CarNooB
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That pretty much sums it up.

If I accellerate hard or if I go on a freeway and go up to or over 80km/h, the car then runs really rough and has no guts afterwards and if I come to a complete stop and then accellerate, normally or otherwise, it splutters and sometimes stalls.

Sometimes, I'll get to park it before the spluttering and stalling happens, and I find that if I leave it for about a half an hour or more, and then start up, it splutters and stalls three or four times before finally staying online. Revving doesn't help, and if I try and accellerate without just letting it idle until it's fine, it splutters and stalls.

I had thought this to be because of the resinator which is completely buggered, however a mechanic just told me that it has nothing to do with it and shouldn't cause such problems.

I've also been told that it could be simply out of tune, but then again, I've been told that tuning an EA means very little.

For reference, it's an EA (Series 1) S-pack that's done just on 275,000km.

·
CarNooB
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure. Do they replace the fuel filter in a service? Also, why would it be a fuel problem? It only happens after heavy accelleration (2000rpm+) and the stalling/spluttering only happens after about ten or so minutes of lower speeds, or idling for a long period at a stop light or after leaving the car off for half an hour or so.

·
CarNooB
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the resinator is definitely FUBAR'd but I'm not sure about the rest of the system.

·
CarNooB
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nobody? Anybody? It's going to cost me over a $100 just to find out what's wrong with it. I'd rather be able to point and say, "Fix that!"

I've noticed it also happens more often if I have the air con (I only just got the AC fixed) on. The clutch also seems to clunk a lot more and it takes longer to shift gears. Could the clutch have something to do with the spluttering? I wouldn't have thought so since it's more like the engine is choking than anything else, but then I don't know much about cars so...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts