Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 e350 super duty with the 5.4 in it. Took it to the shop to have spark plugs changed, went to pick it up and the guy tells me he could only change three plugs! He says the other five have so much rust that he cannot get his socket on the spark plugs. Say the rust is built on the walls going down into the spark plug hole, he says he tried running a screwdriver and a couple other tools down inside there trying to knock the rust down and that he had no luck. Anybody heard of this? Any idea of what I should do? Seems like at this point once these spark plugs are done so is the engine?

·
Super Moderator
8,934 Posts
If it's that bad, pull the heads. That way you have the option of breaking out the cores and using an easy out. How long have they been in there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's that bad, pull the heads. That way you have the option of breaking out the cores and using an easy out. How long have they been in there?
Not sure how long they have been in, seems like a long time though. I bought the van about six months ago, runs great and has been trouble free just thought I'd have oil, filter, and plugs done on as it is my daily driver. Not sure I am not into the van enough to pull heads was hoping someone else had similar experience and had some insight, was thinking like naval jelly or something else that might dissolve it enough to get down in there. If I was going to pull heads seems like I might as well pull the engine, not really sure it would be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
8,934 Posts
I've pulled heads and engines out of older vans, my experience was that the heads are easier, but all that aside. It's probably worth it to go with Naval Jelly or some other rust dissolver and allow it to sit over night. Afterwards, I'd spray it down with water and spray then blow it out with air and spray it down with WD-40.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've pulled heads and engines out of older vans, my experience was that the heads are easier, but all that aside. It's probably worth it to go with Naval Jelly or some other rust dissolver and allow it to sit over night. Afterwards, I'd spray it down with water and spray then blow it out with air and spray it down with WD-40.
Thanks. Yep, been thinking about Ospho, just fill up the cavity and leave it overnight, then take a screwdriver to it, and then hit it with a shop vac, some small diameter tubing attached to hose with gorilla tape, water, air hose, probably vac again. Might have to do the process more than once. I think it beats pulling the heads, just don't like the van that much.

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
Nothing to lose with what you are trying . PB BLASTER is another alternative .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts