Ford Forums banner

21 - 40 of 215 Posts

·
NOS + Boost = Fun
278 Posts
engine will fit fine, but you will probably have to swap your ecu over, and get a custom made loom from your ecu to you BEM. But all else is fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
302 carby eng. ported heads, rollers, 11:1compression, procomp elec ign, extractors, twin system.edelbrock performer289, 650vacsec holley. 235RWHP $5500
has been retired for last year, but will be reborn soon in my EF...better than ever.

·
Registered
651 Posts
mmm its an old technology windsor (1968, 302 block, 347 scat stroker kit)windsor snr heads(should have got afr heads)44mm idf webers(too small but cant afford bigger ones) solid flat tappet cam(couldn't afford roller)10.0 comp......235 rwkw or for the older folk like me about 315 rwhp and 450nm rwtorque,with tremec trans about 435fwhp at a lazy 6500 rpm..........and no boost(sorry you late model guys just joking)

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I am running 386.3rwhp bone stock with the 4.6L DOHC Modular with an Eaton SC on it.

Plans: KB pushing 32# of boost and PCM retune.
Cost: under 4k
Look to hit around 700 rwhp easy.

·
Are we there yet?
1,621 Posts
That's US $$ isn't it though.....

I got 119 rwkw from my totally stock EF on the same day that Blueoval ran 115.
the dyno op. said that is pretty good from a stock EF 5 litre, it seems amazing, seeing as Russel's car ran 121.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
AU II XR8 200kw (auto) stock (5,000klm only on the clock)
=122 rwkw.
after with Herrod mod's
full s/s exhaust 2.5 inch single
Unichip
K&N air filter
=144 rwkw.

·
OFR #7
322 Posts
Stock EL1 5.0L = 112rwkw
Mods as listed in sig = 127rwkw
Other than mods listed engine is stock
Cost so far approx $3000 (engine mods only) mmmm. lot of money for a relatively small gain!

Mick

·
F*#K the government
285 Posts
Big Mick said:
Stock EL1 5.0L = 112rwkw
Mods as listed in sig = 127rwkw
Other than mods listed engine is stock
Cost so far approx $3000 (engine mods only) mmmm. lot of money for a relatively small gain!

Mick

And the winner for the biggest waste in your list is: ChipTorque Chip

Personal opinion only :doh:

·
1 bad 302
963 Posts
EF XR8, 104,000 K's, Pacemakers & twin stainless 2 1/2", K&N fliter.
Auto, owned since new, engine, box and diff untouched.

175.8 RWHP = 131.19 RWKW ?
Did not get a reading before mods, so don't know of the increase from standard 170 FWKW.

Jon

·
boosted sleeper
4,575 Posts
something sounds sus to me. I dont get it, if my motor and Aarons motor are the same, why arent I getting the same if not better rwkw's from the mild mods I've done? I do admit, the dizzy shaft is apparantly bent, harmonic balancer is on its way out and oxy sensors are rooted. But would all that make such a huge difference in power?:shrug:

·
F*#K the government
285 Posts
Big Mick said:
Why do you say this? What experience have you had with them?
The reason I say that is, cost vers what performance you got from it?

Did you do a before and after dyno with filter, headers, exhaust and then fitting the chip?

As I said, this is my personal opinion, I think alot of those chips are like witch doctor cures.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
damage181 said:

Did you do a before and after dyno with filter, headers, exhaust and then fitting the chip?

As I said, this is my personal opinion, I think alot of those chips are like witch doctor cures.
Agree 100% when you can fit a EMS stinger,Wolf,Link,Hawk etc for under $1000 PLUS tuning. Makes a chip very expensive!!!

But you have to have some mods etc that change vacuum, idle etc..Std ecu's on std engines do a good job !!!

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
AU2 XR8
(sold last year)
347 stroker 10.5:1 comp
Trickflow (TFS) Trackheat alloy heads (ported)
TFS Roller Rockers
TFS Camshaft
TFS Track Heat Intake
T3 82mm T/Body
T3 Airbox
Herrod/Custom twin 2.5 X-pipe exhaust
Unichip

Could be some other things I forgot.
225rwkW
(but it had fantastic torque since it ran the smaller camshaft in the TFS range)

·
boosted sleeper
4,575 Posts
AP, it sounds like you have a pearler of an engine! Bet that set you back a few $$$ or two!

All worth it for what you want in the end I guess!

·
Are we there yet?
1,621 Posts
That's the kind of power Street Machine think AU V8's have in them. It would have cost more tham $6,000 though...

·
OFR #7
322 Posts
damage181 said:
I got approx. equal performance increase from the $1800odd I spent on the full exhaust system compared with the $800odd it cost to have the ChipTorque customed programmed for the car (approx 8rwkw each) on a dyno. Yes the exhaust was done before the chip.
The ChipTorque is not just about peak rwkw, it has also made a big improvement in the throttle response of the car over the entire rev range. And since you can't drive around at WOT all the time on the street I reckon improved throttle response is a big plus.
If you were able to drive a car before and after a product like the ChipTorque (or Tweecer) had been professionally tuned for your car, you would know exactly what I mean!

I assume that your "witch doctor" comments relate to plug-in chips purchased via mail order. I would never purchase a chip that can't be tuned for the car on a dyno by a professional.

ebxr8240 said:
Agree 100% when you can fit a EMS stinger,Wolf,Link,Hawk etc for under $1000 PLUS tuning. Makes a chip very expensive!!!

But you have to have some mods etc that change vacuum, idle etc..Std ecu's on std engines do a good job !!!
EBXR240, you must be in the trade to get a Wolf fitted for that price! I was quoted $1800-2000 to supply and fit a Wolf (including dyno tuning). As I was told, the problem with these systems is they can't do everything that the EEC IV/V can do such as idle control for P/S & A/C (Not to mention trip computers, although who really cares if you just want to produce as many kw's as possible?), the maps apparently also have less resolution than the EEC IV/V.
Thats why I agree with you the the standard ECU does a great job, however if you want to optimise the performance of the ECU (and thus your whole engine package) then you go for something like a ChipTorque or Tweecer. Piggy backs like the UNichips are possibly OK to an extent, provided you understand what their limitations are (the ECU will learn around much of the altered parameters when in closed loop mode). I have also had a UNiChip fitted to the car but tossed it for the ChipTorque, primarily for this reason.

Like anything you fit to your car. You should clearly understand how it works and how it will effect your car.

Mick

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Big Mick .. I was meaning alot more than exhaust!! Cams over 280*[220 @50] and big port heads,high compression, shorter inlets etc or forced induction..Yes these ecu's are mainly for engine tune.. If idle is o/k the std ecu may as well stay to do just that...Or more the point the tunner doesn't want to spend the time tuning it to work, after all it can only be done when cold..

·
OFR #7
322 Posts
Yeah, I'm yet to reach the next level and thus will only comment on my own experience.

The problem with the ChipTorque (and Tweecer for that matter) is that there are so few people in Aus who can do them (that is, have the ability to overwrite parameters in the EEC IV/V). Thus we are forced to aftermarket management systems such as Motech, Haltech, Wolf etc. etc, because these are a much more open platform and thus more tuning shops have access to them.

I know you read the forums based in the US and most of these guys that are running stangs from 10 to 12 sec 1/4 miles are using the Ford EEC IV or V as a base and using an aftermarket programmers to modify accordingly. We simply don't have that option widely available yet in Aus. Hopefully, with guys like XR9UTE, this wil change in the future.

Mick

21 - 40 of 215 Posts