Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Nacho Nacho Man!
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a squizz at this...

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,2056223%5E1702,00.html

It found that the Falcon did best of the Australian cars in the latest tests, almost earning a four-star rating followed by the Camry, the Avalon, the Magna and the Commodore.
In comparison, the Saab, Merc and Volvo got 4, a Renault Laguna for 5.

Poor commode drivers, those extra costs to fix damage compared with Falcons must hurt their insurance premiums a little.

:evil:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Interesting how they compare the crash rating of Aussie built $30k vehicles to $60-80k European vehicles:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Good to see more positive Ford news. I would however like to see a report in to how much safer say an XR is over a Forte. For those who haven't driven one the dynamics are like chalk and cheese. Sure once in a crash situation the reasult would be the same but I would like my chances of avoiding one through better handling properties in my XR when confronted with the same set of circumstances in a Forte

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
Could'nt agreee more HSE2 aswell as better brakes but try telling this to insurance companies.:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
DR XR said:
Could'nt agreee more HSE2 aswell as better brakes but try telling this to insurance companies.:mad3: :mad3: :mad3: :mad3:
And that is a very good point! They are only seeing half the story. Actually I though Ford were going to get their own insurance thing going. I know FTR cars carry some sort of signage above the front screen! (hard to tell as they don't come to my state anymore and the zoom on the TV doesn't work as well as it should after last Bathurst)

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
Holden must be guttered since they put all that effort into designing a head friendly B-pillar, only to find out that the Falcon had less side intrusion and a better score in that area (if I'm correct).
I knew that Ford had increased the sructual strength when they released the AU2 therefore giving it a higher rating in these latest tests, though I wouldn't want that brake pedal implanted in my leg, it ended up only 10cm away from the drivers seat - about time Ford introduced those self releasing pedals.

If the Falcon was fitted with side airbags it would probably get a four star rating.

The comparison between $30k and $80k vehicles is that they're big in size. Personally safety features shouldn't be minimized on lower cost models like equipment such as aircon etc...

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
HSE2 said:
I would however like to see a report in to how much safer say an XR is over a Forte. For those who haven't driven one the dynamics are like chalk and cheese. Sure once in a crash situation the reasult would be the same but I would like my chances of avoiding one through better handling properties in my XR when confronted with the same set of circumstances in a Forte
Which brings me to a major issue I have with Wheels Magazine at the moment. They banned some cars from COTY due to an abscence of lap-sash belts in the centre rear. However, cars that don't even have active safety features available as options (such as ABS) continue to qualify. Isn't it better to avoid the accident than survive it? I don't get it.

Oh, and Ford are a MAJOR culprit. Most models don't have ABS available and more and more are reverting to drum brakes. I will never buy another car without ABS. The reason why if it's sub Falcon size cars I'd be shopping Holden (forgive my sins please....)

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
if it's sub Falcon size cars I'd be shopping Holden (forgive my sins please....)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
J-type said:
I knew that Ford had increased the sructual strength when they released the AU2 therefore giving it a higher rating in these latest tests,
mmm...The fact that Falcons are getting safer by the year gives me an avenue with the missus of persuing an upgrade from a lowly AU1 to an AV.
But baby, just think of the kids safety.:gok:
Rastus.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Rastus said:
But baby, just think of the kids safety
My reason is I don't have a car and I want an XR8!!... A blokes gotta get around you know.. :D

·
7,777 Posts
Ford Man you feature hog - when are we getting those extra smilies?

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
Ford Man you feature hog - when are we getting those extra smilies?
The only reason he has those smiles is he went out on the net and found them for himself...
They are inserted using the img tag...

·
7,777 Posts
Cool - time for another upgrade for FF!

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Aussie Pete said:
when are we getting those extra smilies?
When you buy me a brand spanking new fully loaded liquid silver XR8.
DK's right mate, they're not on this site. They're taking from the www... Cool ay..

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Found a good bit of info regarding the safety enhancements to AUII that didn't get a mention in the aboce article.

The AU2 Falcon delivers class-leading occupant protection features as standard across its entire passenger vehicle range.

Passenger and driver airbags are standard across the passenger car range
Seat belt Energy Management Retractors (EMRs) keep occupant chest loads to a minimum by cleverly regulating the forces applied by the webbing in a frontal crash
Laminated Impact Protection Panel (LIPP) in the driver's floor maximises lower leg protection
Front structure incorporates a sub-frame breakaway joint and refined side-rail collapse features for increased protection in an offset frontal impact
Upgraded side structure with tuned energy management feature delivers optimum side impact protection
Energy absorbing foam inside both front doors enhances side impact protection
Pyrotechnic seat belt buckle pretensioners, triggered by the airbag crash sensor, help the seat belts to deliver maximum benefit
Ford "Caring 4 Kidz" child restraints ensure a family's most precious cargo is afforded the best possible protection
A more detailed outline of the above features follows.
Offset Frontal Impact
Offset crashes, where only part of the front of the car collides with another car or object (e.g. in a head-on collision), usually on the driver's side, can be among the most debilitating types of crash due to the risk of severe leg injury.

The AU2 front structure now incorporates a sub-frame breakaway feature and a new side rail with refined collapse mode. These features all work to provide controlled crush management, optimising protection of the cabin's safety cell.

In addition to this, the AU2 incorporates a Laminated Impact Protection Panel (LIPP) in the driver's footwell, under the carpet. The LIPP is almost 30mm thick and consists of two layers of steel covered and filled with energy-absorbing foam.

The LIPP carries the driver's heels rearward with any intruding floor panels and, as a result, helps to avoid over-rotation of the ankle joint and entrapment of the feet. In addition, the steel acts like armour and the foam reduces heel shock. Crash tests indicate that it's very effective in reducing an injury measure called "tibia index". The end result is better lower leg protection for Falcon drivers.

Restraint System
Falcon was the first local car to provide a driver airbag as standard equipment and the AU2 is the only locally manufactured family sedan to offer a driver and passenger airbag as standard across the passenger car range.

The airbags work in concert with Falcon's state of the art seat belt system. This system incorporates pyrotechnic buckle pre-tensioners in the front bucket seats. The pre-tensioners are fired with the airbags in a severe crash, pulling the front seat belts tighter for improved protection.

Energy Management Seat Belt Retractors All Falcons with dual front airbags are fitted with Energy Management Retractors (EMRs) in the front bucket seats.

In the event of a crash, the EMR seat belts limit the force on the occupant's chest to a pre-determined level. Powerful computer-aided engineering has allowed the EMRs to be developed to work in concert with the front body structure, pyrotechnic pre-tensioners and airbags, to improve protection for the upper body.

The EMR seat belts are world-class technology, fitted as standard to all Falcon passenger cars.

Side Impact
Using sophisticated computer analysis techniques, Ford Australia safety experts have delivered enhanced protection for side impact.

The AU2 body features upgraded B-pillar and roof-rail reinforcements, in addition to clever energy management features:

The bending strength of the B-pillar has been increased by around 370%
The base of the B-pillar reinforcement includes a tuned energy management feature which allows controlled deformation to distribute the crash forces into the floor instead of the occupant
To complement this, energy absorbing foam is packaged inside the front door to minimise impact to the occupant.
These design actions result in about 30% reduction in B-pillar intrusion velocity, which is a key measure of injury reduction.
There are two additional reinforcements and the existing reinforcement has been thickened and upgraded to a higher strength steel

These actions now provide a solid foundation for protection in a side impact.

·
Ford Member
1,054 Posts
If this was Holden we would be reading about it in Fridays Herald Sun aswell as everywhere else. Hope Ford advertises this result heavily for a little while atleast.

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
Yeah they should advertise this point as much as possible, along with the list of other great things it has going for it. Perhaps a rehash of the XB Falcon "I didn't know that" commercial is called for now??

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Funny you should say that. I was watching the 75th video (again!) and thought the exact same thing. Might make people sit up and realise just what goodies are actually in the Falcon. Time for the Ford PR machine to kick the Holden propaganda err.. I mean PR machine in the pants me thinks.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
453 Posts
DR XR said:
If this was Holden we would be reading about it in Fridays Herald Sun aswell as everywhere else. Hope Ford advertises this result heavily for a little while atleast.
HereHereHereHereHere!!!!:thumbup: :thumbup:
you are dead right. anything Holden, it's palstered everywhere. Anything of ours (Ford) we're as quiet as a mouse!
Ford need to get the message out! I know it all costs money (to advertise) but it's a viscious circle. The public needs to know how good Ford really are

****steps down from soap box***:thumbup: :damack: :thumbup:

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
mbrown42 said:

HereHereHereHereHere!!!!:thumbup: :thumbup:
you are dead right. anything Holden, it's palstered everywhere. Anything of ours (Ford) we're as quiet as a mouse!
Ford need to get the message out! I know it all costs money (to advertise) but it's a viscious circle. The public needs to know how good Ford really are

****steps down from soap box***:thumbup: :damack: :thumbup:
Too true, this is another aspect ford should look at, Holen have a great PR department, Fords can be described as somewhat lacking in this area.
What we do see is generally pretty good, i.e. The We Have Ignition adds though....
Lets see more of their good work :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
HSE2
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing