Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Probe LX Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove home from visiting friends. I live in a rural area and there was NO traffic sighted at 1:15 a.m. About 6-8 miles from home I suddenly had all my lights(dash lights included) and stereo system totally cut out. Power restored quickly, but it cut out a few more times. I struggled to get the cd player to shut off and turned off my fog lights, and finally assessed the situation. I noticed my engine had not stumbled at all but strangely was running hotter than before, and my voltage gauge had dropped to just above the first line. I figured my alternator was failing, but I couldn't explain why my engine had heated up so much. The temperature was at or below 0 and I've been lucky to see the temp gauge rise even to the R while on the highway. When I finally made it back to town I noticed my voltage gauge had risen back to its normal position and the temperature was normal. Cut to the end of the trip, I checked under the hood with my flashlight but didn't see ANYTHING out of the ordinary. WHAT HAPPENED on my trip home tonight???? It scared the hell out of me. I have a few ideas but I want to see what you people can suggest first. Thank you.

·
Old Skool Member
1,031 Posts
Well, sounds like it might be an alternator problem. My roomate has a 95 Gallant, and he threw a belt one day while he was driving. Well he had the same symptoms that you had with the engine about to overheat. I don't know if it's directly attributed to the belt going out, but it seemed obvious. If your electronics were cutting out like that, and your engine started to overheat, I'd check the alternator. Were your headlights dimming at the time as well?

·
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member
276 Posts
the car would heat up because front wheel drive vehicles come with electric cooling fans.

How are your battery connections??? Usually an alternator going out will just show a drop in your volts guage and dimming, not a total cutout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts