Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to clarify on the below thread, as it sorta lost the plot ;).

I e-mailed capa and they have a kit for the AU/AU2 (Powerdyne) that runs at 8psi boost. Just about every article I've read to do with air blowers on AU's talks about Powerdyne, and doesn't seem to bag them. Also Capa say they don't make Vortech kit for the AU's and it would have to be a custom job, but went on to say that they run them at a higher boost again.

As I'm 1 step away from purchasing (from Capa), if possible, please tell me what the go is. And also what other options are out there, as in Herrod, STA (shudder), etc.

Also have mercy on a fairly mechanical illiterate. =)

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also add it's a AUII XR8. :)

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Hi gunter

I have been talking to them too. I have heard these stories about staying away from Powerdyne but it seems to be the only one that is really pushed for the Au. Scott from Capa has been great, but my problem is that buying the kit is easy, getting someone to install it in Tasmania is proving to be nearly impossible. Capa did claim that their kit is different from that offered by Herrod and in fact it is Capa that supply Herrod with their blowers.
Some people say that the cam should be changed when you install the blower and others claim nothing needs to be changed.
From what I can tell it is a must that the installation be carried out by someone who knows what they are doing. If I were on the mainland I think I would be going to Herrod.
Love to know what you decide to do and who does it. I know a guy with 312kw from a car modified by Herrod with a supercharger and he has been a big help to me. Email me if you want.

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks HSE2,

I will more than likely go with CAPA as the performance shop up here is a CAPA reseller. I was just concerned about the negative comments on the powerdyne blower, but I guess there will always be some bad experiences out there (hopefully I wont become one).

As to the cam issue, I've heard the same. Some say yes, some say no, but I personally am not going to get a different cam when I get the blower installed. I'll see what sort of power I get then go from there. The thing I'm worried about is I don't want to lose to much of my bottom end power just to achieve high horsepower figures, especially if that power peaks at 7000rpm. I'd rather have a car that has a good broad "on cam" power range. But then again the magical 300kw figure is hard to ignore. =)

If you could get the details of what your mate has done to get 312kw that would be great, or give him my e-mail address.
[email protected]

Ta.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
You dont need a Cam with a supercharger setup, but a good set of heads will do wonders :-D

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the AU2's had decent heads on 'em? Are you talking about porting the existing heads or is there aftermarket heads to suit?

P

·
0 Posts
Plenty after market Holley.Edelbroke,Air reserch,Twisted Wedge.Available from Usa imports 02 96072299 /Eagle motor sport Minto 02 9820 3320.They come with ALL the good valve gear too.The std valve springs are suspect at high revs esp with milage,ks.Ask if you need taller valve covers.Suggest you buy at cost if you do.as I did.I needed valve covers and roller rockers,for the twisted wedge heads,bloody cheap at cost.

K

·
0 Posts
Paul

Do those places you mentioned actually carry the Airflow Research heads for Fords or just the Trickflow stuff?

Also how do you go about buying that stuff for cost price?

P

·
0 Posts
They said it would fit.I said if not would you supply @ cost.Yes.Well they were over 2k.They are all good the cnc machined heads are better flow over250 [email protected] inch's .600 lift.Esp A.F.R and T.W.I chose the T.W for they don't have to have the pistons notched for the bigger valves,Pay little more for cnc ported heads.Ring around.I have put some ph # somewhere here.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Hi grunter
Talked to the guy with 312kws. Basically he sent the car to herrod and they called him when it was finished. Has a Herrod cam chip exhaust superchager two fuel pumps and I don't know for sure but I reckon the injectors are changed as well. It also has the GT intake manifold 70mm throttle bodies as well. Basically tick every box Herrod have.

·
Copyright �2003
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ta mate,

Any idea on costs?

E

·
0 Posts
Hi all. It's good to see so many other Ford enthusiasts! Anyway I just wanted to say that I had a Powerdyne kit connected about 4 months ago. The reason being that it was supposed to be the most road car friendly. That is quiet, (SilentDrive) and no real maintenance as it doesn't have any oil reservoir to worry about. Also it was said to run cooler too. So far it has been great. It does run a little warmer than before in heavy traffic but not anything to worry about. It also is a little bit rougher at idle, but I think this adds to the overall feeling of driving a better performing car.
I was also quite happy with the power increase too. My car prior to the Powerdyne had 136 rwk's, but now has 182rwk's. It's running at 9psi and I also opted for the water injection kit.
By the way this is an EL six. I hope this sheds some more light on this subject.
Just one thing though, would anyone know of an accurate way to convert rear wheel kw's to the figure at the flywheel? Thanks.

Steve.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Bloody board. Ignore the above. The blower was about 7k and the cam about 2k the rest I am not sure about.

M

·
0 Posts
ELectric Falcon - sounds good mate! I was just wondering, 136kW at the rear wheels seems quite good for a 6. What mods have you done to achieve this?

As for the conversion ratio, I've heard that Tickford quote 35% loss for the manual box. Not sure for the auto, but wouldn't be far off.

Anything else you can tell us about your beast mate?

Cheers
Mike

E

·
0 Posts
Hi Mike. Thanks for the info. The 136kw was obtained as follows.
Firstly had the car dyno tested to see what she was putting out stock standard. This was 103kw at rear wheels. (My car was originally a Futura Classic 3/97 EL in Heritage Green. Then in February '99 had extractors and 2.5" stainless steel exhaust fitted, modified cool intake and replaced air filter with King Dragon one. This increased power to 111kw. Then in April '99 I had a new chip fitted. Then in September '99 had the head port and polished new plugs new camshaft. Dyno then registered 136kw and 320Nm torque.
After that, later that month I also had a highflow cat installed.
Then about 4 months ago I bit the bullet and had the supercharger installed, and as mentioned this increased power to 182kw.
If I could ask another question, Do you know if it's possible to safely remove the 180kmh governor on my car. I have heard something about changing the driveshaft?? Also my car is an auto. Can't have everything I guess!

Thanks

Steve

M

·
0 Posts
A goodly 6 my friend :) Yeah the limiter is basically for the tailshaft with an auto box, since over 180k's they apparently start to shudder like a bastard, and could potentially spit the dummy and break, tailshaft going to ground and pole-vaulting you over the nearest treeline. :) I believe most of the chip manufacturers offer some form of governer removal.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Electric Falcon (Steve)
Well if you got 103RwKw stock, then thats 34% drivetrain loss, so then 182RwKw is 275Kw at the engine.

Damn, you must bang that 180kmh limiter in no time. Maybe 15secs with traction?

E

·
0 Posts
Thanks Mike, I'll check into that. I guess it's a matter of the chip as you said, but also strengthening/changing tailshaft?? I must admit I am a novice when it comes to mechanical work, but this is sure a fun way to learn.

G'day Martin. yeh she does get there fast. It's never been a worry before but it's a bit frustrating to have the potential but not be able to use it! Also the guys that do most of the work on it would like to see how she performs on the dyno without hitting that brick wall. So would I.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I wounldnt remove the limiter without upgrading the driveshaft first, especially with that much Hp. At over 180Kmh the Uni joints could break, which could result in it flipping on its roof. I would get a driveshaft loop (stops the driveshaft from falling and digging into the road causing the car to catapault) and an Aluminium driveshaft.

Oh and if youve got the standard 3.08 diff, then 250Kmh is more than a possibility.

So how much did this all cost, and is everything stock other than Cam, Exhaust and supercharger??

1 - 20 of 31 Posts