Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just got off a phone call with a mate who has a very interesting problem that i'm not sure how to fix!

He has managed to drop a carby screw into the intake manifold, its a single plain manifold on a 2v headed 351 and he thinks its fallen into the drivers side head but can't see the screw, and has no idea which runner its fallen into!

I suggested a magnet on a wire but he can't find one small enough to fit down there, so my question is, How in the hell can he get it out without removing either head or the intake manifold?

He's never changed a head gasket or intake manifold gasket and I really don't want to have to do it for him. I'm all out of ideas though, so if anyone has any suggestions at all please let me know!

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Go and buy a small magnet and stick it on to the end of a piece of wire.
Dick Smith or Jaycar will have very small magnets.

Rick.

·
Registered
309 Posts
yep, had a screw driver type thing that expanded and was small enough to fit in there, had a magnet on the end of it

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just spoke to another mate who has done the same thing but used a coat hanger and a speaker magnet halfway along the wire to get it out. I'm going around there on new years day and hopefully its a happy new year!

Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
greetings all
i think it is time to invest in a borescope & poke that down the runners to see were it is as in most cases it drops into the cylinder with the inlet valve open ( murphys law ) you may be able to get it out from the spark plug hole

P.S.
if you are in melbourne drop me a pm as i have a borescope if needed

regards
rod

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
qwikcorty said:
a borescope wouldnt be like the camera they use to see down your throat like on quit smoking ads yeah?
greetings all
yes qwikcorty you are on the right track
it's more like a flexable shaft with an optic fibre light inside it to use it you put the flexable shaft into the hole & bend it to were you need it to go, push the button to light it up inside & then look through the magnified eye peice & it will show you what is "down the hole"

hope that helps

regards
rod

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks rod,

Sounds like a good bit of kit, I'll keep that in mind if things get bad!

His cam's only a small hyd and it hasn't been running in a while, I'd say the screw (from what he's told me) should be too large to get into the chamber.

·
Slurry Boostin
1,211 Posts
Prime the carby, coupla pumps of the throttle, turn the key and

pfftt!!

Straight out the exhaust. :)

Seriously either a magnet, a air gun, a small grabclaw end or maybe a vacuum of some sort.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Providing it hasn't fallen past the inlet valve, a decent vaccum cleaner would do the job with the right attachment.

New of a guy that dropped a wing nut into his Harley, suprisingly didn't do any noticable damage..

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
10 points to TTNOS8 and STROKEXD!!!!!

I tried without success to use a small magnet on a piece of wire but it kept sticking to the valves and considering he wasn't sure which runner it fell into it was getting really frustrating. Fortunatly the magnet came out everytime or we'd have been up the creek.

In the end I used a foot long piece of that black ribbed plastic tube used for hiding wires (I can't rememeber the actual name of the stuff!), taped it into the small ended vaccuum cleaner bit and ran electrical tape right down the tube and pop, 3rd times a charm, the bastard was in the 1st cylinder and got picked up with the all new XDC351 Screw Removal Tool™ - In stores soon!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just another helpfull trick :wnc:
If you dont have a magnet handy, make one your self out of a screw driver. :AAHHH:
All you have to do is wrap some insulated wire around the metel part of the screw driver and then place 1 end of the wire on to a battery terminal, and then do the same with the other end of the wire to the other battery terminal.

Workes a treat :angel:

Jim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts