Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I had a question about the belt setup on a 1992 Topaz with the 3.0 V6. Seems a pulley has started to go bad, namely the one on what seems to be the tensioner for the water pump belt. No one has the part listed for THAT particular spot in this particular car. A replacement pulley has to exist, right? It's a 4 rib belt, the main is a 6. Is there a workaround? Does a standard idler pulley same as the main belt drive work? At a loss here. It's not awful yet, and it's not a primary car, but it's nice as a well-working backup and is in stunning shape otherwise. This part hunt has gotten frustrating, though!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is the bearing to it encased in plastic or metal? I've rebuilt them by removing old bearing from metal and pressing a new one in, can't do it on plastic ones though.

I've run into other parts NLA on the 6 cylinder Tempos, not a lot of them made and parts makers are abandoning them. You might look at Taurus parts, may find something there.............

No, a replacement part does NOT have to exist, I ran into NLA parts by Ford itself 6 years after the '94 Tempos were out. Running out of certain parts now on Focus cars............that old unwritten thing about parts being out for at least 10 years after car made has pretty much fallen by the wayside on many things now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about raiding a Taurus or Tempo/Topaz at a salvage yard. :p

It's metal, which is good, because I just might have to re-use it if nothing else turns up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts