Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
BOFH
Joined
·
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Series 3 AU XR6 owners help please (Insurance SUCKS!)

I'm playing silly buggers with my insurance Co and need some quick info please. :fraz:

Can any owner of a Series 3 AU XR6 with STOCK FACTORY suspension please give me mesurements from the ground to the lowest point on the car (where the jack points are) for both the front and rear wheels?

Basically I want to lower my XR6 but the insurance says it has to be "within factory specifications". As my XR6 is the first of the Series 1's it is pretty high, higher than the series 3's I've seen. With any luck I'll be able to lower it about 30mm (or a tick more :angel: ) and still have it within approx factory settings.

And yes, I'm calling just cars now to see what deal they can give me too! :wnc:
 

·
3FB's Peter Pan!!!
Joined
·
777 Posts
Who are you trying to insure with? I was told that 30mm and a minimum height of 100mm is all that applies to this kind of thing....oh and the distance from the centre of the headlamp to the road surface had to be some magic number as well...this is for NSW anyway.
 

·
BOFH
Joined
·
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just trying to get some sort of guide for lowering. I've been told no more than 30mm drop from standard but the AU had about 4 different standard hights!! The insurance companies have no idea!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,874 Posts
Series 2/3 was dropped to the height of the series 1 XR which I beleive was 15mm but this is no hard fast rule as you have mentioned.

I put superlows in mine which I beleive are around the 40mm lower mark so POTENTIALY I have 5mm to spare.
 

·
BOFH
Joined
·
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I rang Ford Australia...20 minutes on hold, no one there knows. WTF???

So Now I have contacted Westpoint Ford and will go down there at 5:30 to get a letter stating what the ride hight should be.

Now, Simon at Ford, being a good guy, is going to put it on a letter for me to the insurance Company with the LOWEST possible ride hight, all nice and official. That way my 30mm starts from the lowest point, not what mine is.

So, 1.5 hours later and I am still no better off...but getting there.

This whole insurance thing is a wank...

"sure, lower it 30mm"
"ok, so whats the starting point?"
"oh, we dont know"
"so how do I know if I'm still within the limits?"
"hahaha, you don't, gotcha you loser, just wait till you make a claim!"

I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them!
 

·
Boat Hunting ;)
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
I would imagine it would be of YOUR original ride hight... Its no point having a fairlane, and trying to claim that the TS50 was the original ride height IMO... or another example a lancer, and an evo.. same chasis, but totally different car me thinks... for your sake though, good luck!
 

·
BOFH
Joined
·
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
younggun, I am getting the ride hight for my car. The XR6 had about 3 different ridhight changes, in fact they were all over the place. So I am not pretending my car hight is something else, I'm simply selecting the best possible choice!
 

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
Joined
·
2,379 Posts
The Series 3 SR falcons were lower again!! I can't believe the variance in the AU's!
 

·
BOFH
Joined
·
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I have the OFFICIAL ride hights for all XR models in the AU series 1 straight out of the Ford Dealer Service Manual.

OFFICIALLY (and yes, I know, ride hights were all over the place) this is the numbers that the isurance companies HAVE to accept as stock hight. This DOES NOT apply to NON TICKFORD MODELS as they were a different right hight.

The measurement is from the top of the wheel arch to the center of the wheel.

As quoted in the manual:

Wheel alignment (Tickford Suspension) to be performedd at controlled ride hight. Fender openings 367mm front and 377mm rear.

This means that if your insurance company only allows a maximum 30mm drop the LOWEST your series 1 XR 6 or 8 can be is 337mm front and 347 rear. Any lower and the insurance co has you by the balls.
 

·
Boat Hunting ;)
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Casper said:
younggun, I am getting the ride hight for my car. The XR6 had about 3 different ridhight changes, in fact they were all over the place. So I am not pretending my car hight is something else, I'm simply selecting the best possible choice!
yeah I can understand that, but from an insurance companies point of view, I would have thought they would have chosen the ride hight for your EXACT model car, whether that is series 1 AU xr6 HP or VCT or what ever, just what I would have thought they would have done being so diplomatic.

But congrats on getting your ride heights.
 

·
BOFH
Joined
·
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes it did, but no one could tell me what it was. Fortunatly I have found out what the official numbers are (see above)

Now, for curiousity sake I checked mine and the comparison is as follows:

Official Front 367mm / Mine 367mm No difference
Official rear 377mm / Mine 392mm A HUGE 15mm difference!
 

·
BOFH
Joined
·
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
younggun said:
yeah I can understand that, but from an insurance companies point of view, I would have thought they would have chosen the ride hight for your EXACT model car, whether that is series 1 AU xr6 HP or VCT or what ever, just what I would have thought they would have done being so diplomatic.

But congrats on getting your ride heights.

Thats just the thing, the AU series1 XR6 had a number of ride hight revisions. Noone could tell me what it was OFFICIALLY!
 

·
Bucknaked Is My Real Name
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Re: Series 3 AU XR6 owners help please (Insurance SUCKS!)

Casper said:
I'm playing silly buggers with my insurance Co and need some quick info please. :fraz:

Can any owner of a Series 3 AU XR6 with STOCK FACTORY suspension please give me mesurements from the ground to the lowest point on the car (where the jack points are) for both the front and rear wheels?

Basically I want to lower my XR6 but the insurance says it has to be "within factory specifications". As my XR6 is the first of the Series 1's it is pretty high, higher than the series 3's I've seen. With any luck I'll be able to lower it about 30mm (or a tick more :angel: ) and still have it within approx factory settings.

And yes, I'm calling just cars now to see what deal they can give me too! :wnc:

I measured my AU3 XR6 and this is what I came up with. From the ground to the centre of the rear wheel arch, it is 675mm. From the floor to the centre of the front wheel arch it is 650mm. From the ground to the bottom of the car where the skirt meets the body of the car, at the rear, its 190mm.

Does any of this help ya. Mine is as factory as they come. It was an ex ford exec vehicle, so I doubt they would have done anything other than standard sports suspension. What ever thats called. Mines a VCT so apparently it has all the extra bits and bobs.

Any more measurements you need. While I was at it, I measured my pecker. hehe. Just kidding.
 

·
BOFH
Joined
·
7,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you try from the center of the wheel to the center of the wheel arch front and back please?

Thanks Bucknaked!
 

·
Bucknaked Is My Real Name
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Casper said:
Can you try from the center of the wheel to the center of the wheel arch front and back please?

Thanks Bucknaked!
rear is 370 and front is 350. Because of the slight angle, you could be looking at a 2 or 3 mm variation. I tried to get it as accurate as possible.
 

·
LOOKING FORWARD TO NYE!!!
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
you need to change insurers casper!

it should be able to be as low as you like as long as its still legal....

dave
 

·
LOOKING FORWARD TO NYE!!!
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
oh and how does their ruling work on general settlement of the springs? before i replaced the springs in my old XD they had sagged well over 30mm...and they were the standard springs still so the car was technically as it left the factory....
 

·
Bucknaked Is My Real Name
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
tickford2001 said:
you need to change insurers casper!

it should be able to be as low as you like as long as its still legal....

dave
I would agree with that. Genebaby put super super lows on his BA XR8 and as far as I know, he still got insurance. Try Alianz. Reasonably priced too
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top