Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need a bit of info on setting the timing on my EF XR8, I've marked TDC on the harmonic balancer but I am not sure where that needs to line up with the timing plate which bolts to the block (there is a cut out section followed by a radius section). Also when setting the timing (this is with a timing light) what does it need to be set at (eg 10 deg BTDC).
Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
i'll never grow up
294 Posts
You Set A Static Timing.. There Is A Mark On The Distributor That Should Line Up To A Mark On The Block.. This Should Be 26* Btdc.
Which Is 10*btdc As The Eec Adds 16* Of Timing, And Will Adjust According To A Number Of Signals It Recieves From Sensors.
So There Basically Is No Adjustment Unless You Pull The Spout Connector (which Is A Circuit Breaking Plug Located In Ignition Harness) And Remove The Eec's Ability To Adjust Timing Which Will Allow You To Lock Down The Timing Depending On Your Mods To A Good Known Point.. It Will Affect Nothing But You Will Prob Find An Increase In Hp.. I Gained 12rwhp By Pulling The Spout And Leaving It Out And Locking The Dissy At 26*. It Also Stopped A Small Case Of Pinging At Wot.
You Prob Notice With A Timing Light On It At The Moment The Timing Marker Is Jumping All Over The Place.
If You Want To Read More About Pulling The Spout Connector Look At Coral.net And Do A Search For The Word "spout" There Is Articles Everywhere On It.

·
i'll never grow up
294 Posts
Sorry As Re The Marker.. The Flat Side On The Left Hand Side Of The Engine Is The Marker Side

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Don't you bridge out two connectors on the service port connector nr booster ???It sets timing to static so your able to time engine...

·
Are we there yet?
1,621 Posts
Hmm I have never heard of pulling the 'spout' connector out. The way Australian 5.0's are usually done is how EBXR8240 said, bridging the terminals of the diagnostic plug puts the engine into diagnostic mode, then you set the timing from there.

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Yeah the spout out method is for US dissys. On the EF you need to bridge out the top and bottom left hand pins on the diagnostic connector (the white connector located under the fuse panel inside the cabin). Then start up the engine and in a sec or two the engine will rev up around 2000rpm, thats when you set the base timing. Stock settings are 30 degrees BTDC.

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Is 26 degrees BTDC ok? When I last checked the timing it was at 26 degrees BTDC and I wasnt sure what was standard or not and left it at that as the engine seems to be running fine, the motor is completely stock tho and I'm running optimax as it seems I'm getting better economy out of it than ULP. Should I set it to 30 degrees?

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Yes I just woke up and realised it's retarded, much like my mind atm. I'll give it a go at 30 at lunch time tomorrow

·
5 Litres of Fun
417 Posts
When you bridge out the diag plug, do you leave the bridge in while you set the timing or bridge it, pull the bridge out and it remains in diag mode?

·
345kw of V8 Windsor Power
2,784 Posts
Bridge it and leave it while you set the timing. Then shut the engine off and remove it.

·
5 Litres of Fun
417 Posts
Thanks.
As I said in my other post, I'm going to be playing with my timing to see if i can get any improvement, hopefully this weekend. Depends on the weather, forecast isn't too good and trying to feel if you've got more power is pretty hopeless in the wet...

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Yes 30 degrees BTDC is much better than 26 degrees BTDC, I couldnt believe the difference, what I thought was normal was really crap, it would go doughy after 4800rpm and now it pulls right through to redline, cannot believe the difference

·
XH XR8
7 Posts
You Set A Static Timing.. There Is A Mark On The Distributor That Should Line Up To A Mark On The Block.. This Should Be 26* Btdc.
Which Is 10*btdc As The Eec Adds 16* Of Timing, And Will Adjust According To A Number Of Signals It Recieves From Sensors.
So There Basically Is No Adjustment Unless You Pull The Spout Connector (which Is A Circuit Breaking Plug Located In Ignition Harness) And Remove The Eec's Ability To Adjust Timing Which Will Allow You To Lock Down The Timing Depending On Your Mods To A Good Known Point.. It Will Affect Nothing But You Will Prob Find An Increase In Hp.. I Gained 12rwhp By Pulling The Spout And Leaving It Out And Locking The Dissy At 26*. It Also Stopped A Small Case Of Pinging At Wot.
You Prob Notice With A Timing Light On It At The Moment The Timing Marker Is Jumping All Over The Place.
If You Want To Read More About Pulling The Spout Connector Look At Coral.net And Do A Search For The Word "spout" There Is Articles Everywhere On It.

Hey this is going to sound kinda stupid how do i adjust my timing as my dissy can not be rotated.???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
jasonbradley
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing