Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to install a shift light in my BA XR8 only a light, I don’t want some big assed tacho. I think they start from around $200, any one know are they hard to install or should I get a pro to do it. Or can you recommend a brand or an installer
Maybe I should ask Herrod he might have something.
Any input would be greatly appreciated

thx..

:edit: need to find out if the BA has a tacho output on the diagnostic connecter like previous models.:edit:

·
Registered
354 Posts
try contacting 9psi eb, he has access to user definable RPM switches

·
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TaraHymen said:
try contacting 9psi eb, he has access to user definable RPM switches
thx for that TaraHymen I send him a pm...
Had a look at your cortina i had 2 a tc and a te long time ago great cars with a 6cyl donk in them do you think your 9 inch is taking a lot of your torque out of your engine with only running a 6 cyl. ??

·
Registered
354 Posts
XRFPV8 said:
do you think your 9 inch is taking a lot of your torque out of your engine with only running a 6 cyl. ??

yeah it probably is but it's hardly noticable. i scored a cheap cortina wreck with the falcon brake upgrade done and that came with it. i dont neccessarily need the 9inch but i'm more than pleased to have 4 wheels discs, a falcon stud pattern and a really tight lsd.

it did however make my steering alot heavier and it understeers due to the lsd - but i'll manage :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Auto meter make one for around $230 and Spitfire make a copy for around $140.
I have just ordered a Spitfire one.

·
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx for the info SVO XR6, vbmenu_register("postmenu_606886", true); i found a gismo one that has a dual shift light ($199) and another one that has a daul shift light with recall ($329) but after doing alot of tacho watcing in automatic perfomance mode it changes at 5750rpm witch is perfect i couldn,t change the shift that good so i am not going to bother with the light or manual shifting.
thx..

·
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard
2,847 Posts
I've seen a couple of the GISMO ones and they look really neat...not sure if I'd put one in my beast though (also becoz it's an auto)...

·
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HOTDBZ said:
I've seen a couple of the GISMO ones and they look really neat...not sure if I'd put one in my beast though (also becoz it's an auto)...
hi mal, i have an auto also but we can use a manual perfomance mode on the auto thats in the XR8 and the FPV cars. it wont change gear until you change it sits on rev limiter...

thx

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
Someone, I can't remember who, did a really nice integrated custom unit a couple of months ago on a GT/P. Might have been in the FPV forum.

·
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard
2,847 Posts
XRFPV8 said:
hi mal, i have an auto also but we can use a manual perfomance mode on the auto thats in the XR8 and the FPV cars. it wont change gear until you change it sits on rev limiter...

thx
Oh...Do you mean the SSS? Sequential Sports Shift?

·
Blood Orange Pursuit
49 Posts
Becareful with the shift lights on the BA, i bought one of those little sequential shift lights with the coloured LEDs, great little bit of gear.
Anyway the Pursuit was going in for a service so i asked the ford Dealer to install the shift light. They Could not do it !
Something to do with the fact that the BA doesnt have the typical signal that is used for a tacho, the fly by wire throttle, crank sensor etc. etc. (they lost me on the technical explaination)doesn't support an auxillary tacho

·
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HOTDBZ said:
Oh...Do you mean the SSS? Sequential Sports Shift?
yeah Mal, SSS have you driven one in manual mode yet??

·
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
falconhell said:
Becareful with the shift lights on the BA, i bought one of those little sequential shift lights with the coloured LEDs, great little bit of gear.
Anyway the Pursuit was going in for a service so i asked the ford Dealer to install the shift light. They Could not do it !
Something to do with the fact that the BA doesnt have the typical signal that is used for a tacho, the fly by wire throttle, crank sensor etc. etc. (they lost me on the technical explaination)doesn't support an auxillary tacho
my local auto barn guy was going to do it for $70 says he wants car for 90 mins, i have no idea how he thinks that it is going to be fitted.....

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
I can only say that make sure you're happy with what they are going to do to your ute, and that they have explained it to your satisfaction. That way you are less likely to have some shonky butcher job done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts