Ford Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 4000Km my AU11 XR6 VCT Auto was tending to pull left so I spoke to the dealer about a wheel allignment. After trying to do the allignment the dealer said the car was out of spec and needed a shim kit (to allign the castor). They quoted $300 plus but upon recognising the car had such low KMs they did it under warranty. Apparently the Falcon front end cant be alligned without these kits and the dealer had recently had to do this to a few cars. Has anybody had the same problem. PS the shim kit did not fix the problem fully, which the dealer later described as "tyre pull". Beurepairs(spelling?)got the car going straight. Anybody had the same problem and had a shim kit installed? It doesnt look too scientific, just a couple of metal plates wedged in place.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Took mine to Pedders.They are experts in this field.I would'nt take a wheelburrow to a Ford dealer to fix.Horses for courses.Besides they do!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cutting the story short, took it Bob Jane - bad decision.
3 months later, Bridgestone better end results but suggested a caster and camber kit which I assume you call it shim it. Price range around $300.
After contemplating I'm not paying $300 went to back to dealer and they fixed it without the kit but I still had to pay the normal wheel allignment charges. From what I could see there is adjustment in there but I cant pinpoint where they exactly had their spanners on.
Question... is there a possible way of making the rear end have a neg camber on a solid axle. Would having a neg camber rear end stop it from overtaking the front in wet conditions?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All Fords (Falcons) have had this camber /caster problem fitted free from the factory. EA - EL there were allsots of adjusters available and prices varied as well
AU - AUII have a different frt end set up, again there are several kits available.

Slow xr,
With the rear stepping out it could be poor tyres or even frt end set up needs adjusting, but NO u cant change the rear geometry on the solid rear set up.
Happy driving

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Falcons EA-EL had different wheelbase on each side of the car, :) As the car gets older the problem slowly gets worse till one day you take your car in for a wheel alignment and they can't adjust the nut any further without it being dangerously close to falling of the thred. A Kit is a must.

IRS can't change camber/caster. But spring and shock setup will help. If you are running large wheels this would all be riding differently no?

I know someone with a stuffed IRS diff cause he had low springs in it and wore the bearing.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
slow xr6

I would think the presence/size of a rear swaybar would contribute more to rear induced oversteer in such conditions.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can change it .Look at the super v8s.How do they do it? Bend the diff & strengthen it.NOT what you would want to do on a road car ha?

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear end too firm? if oversteer.Read book "How to make my car handle"Has car been lowered etc?Too much tyre pressure can do it.
Try firmer bar in front/softer rear..OR adjustable rear/front bar.Believe me you are better off with oversteer than understeer.Though understeer you know what you are going to hit.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
A bag of cement in the boot greatly improves the rear end traction in most Falcons from what I have found.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I learnt to live with the oversteer now still not a complete master in tricky situation I wish I had the IRS.
With my question in the previous post, well I wondered the same thing what paul said about the V8 supercars it looks like they've got a camber on it.
I should have a browse under Lowndes car while at Melbourne.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts