Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.... I joined this group in the hope of getting some help I can't seem to find anywhere else.
I have a 1999 4.6L with an automatic transmission that has a worsening shimmy when the engine speed is approx.1500-1800 rpm (vehicle doesn't have a tach).
At first I thought it was related to road speed, until one day I thought to rev the engine in park, and discovered it shimmies while vehicle is sitting still.
Engine runs great other than the shimmy, no codes (other than a reappearing small evap leak code that's addressed by simply wiping the gasket seal at the top of the gas filler tube). Couple thousand miles ago I replaced a leaking intake manifold, during which I also replaced the original spark plugs. Everything looked fine, engine runs very good at 116K. Nice smooth idle, performs well under acceleration.
I've also replaced the harmonic balance...., with no effect.
Anyone had a similar issue, and find the culprit? I have my suspicions, but thought I'd ask here before going to all the work it'll take to address them.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
1,415 Posts
Absent a misfire, which you have eliminated, or anything more obvious, I would check the torque converter. That, however, might involve pulling the trans!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts