Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok..does anyone here have a SVO lightning shifter fitted to there T5?

Are they worth it? $375 seems a bit much for what it is. SVO claim a 40% reductoin which is pretty good.

Are there any other brands or methods someone could use to make the shift alot quicker? I know someone who just simply cut the actual stick itself but I was looking for somehting a bit more professional than that.

check out www.svomotorsport.com and have a look.

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
BPT over here in perth will shorten the T5 shifter for 60 bucks.

however, that shifter could quite likely remove the annoying T5 thing where it gets stuck between the 1st and 3rd gate when you're trying to select the latter..

375 aint baaad considering.. whats a b+m shifter worth?

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
i cut a bit off my shifter becasue i think they come at a stupid height from the factory. It does make my changes a tad quicker and makes the box feel tighter , but i mainly did it for looks....i gave the SVO shifter some thought at the time but it is a bit much IMO...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have herrods sureshift in my elxr.It shortened the throw & i had a mate make a shorter stick aswell.The herrods shifter is pretty expensive @ about $500+ but is good quality.

·
LOOKING FORWARD TO NYE!!!
2,512 Posts
cArSiK said:
i cut a bit off my shifter becasue i think they come at a stupid height from the factory. It does make my changes a tad quicker and makes the box feel tighter , but i mainly did it for looks....i gave the SVO shifter some thought at the time but it is a bit much IMO...
i think that the SVO shifter is not just a shortened stick as such, but also a raised pivot point, in turn shortening the throw even more. I think herrods do a similar 'kit'

IMO $375 is a bit steep for what it is. Is that fitted? But i guess they would have put some development work etc

if it was me though, id be making up my own system which would probably cost ya a few hours and about 5 or 10 bucks!

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
tickford2001 said:
i think that the SVO shifter is not just a shortened stick as such, but also a raised pivot point, in turn shortening the throw even more. I think herrods do a similar 'kit'

IMO $375 is a bit steep for what it is. Is that fitted? But i guess they would have put some development work etc

if it was me though, id be making up my own system which would probably cost ya a few hours and about 5 or 10 bucks!
I realise that its not just a shorter shifter like the BPT one , but the propper thing. I just couldnt see the advantage of intalling it to my daily driver..... im sure it would transform the box tho.. :wnc:

James

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
this is the part in question.

Attachments

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
would this shhifter still be acceptable for daily driving? any1 got one to say how good they are?

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
Do they actually work? Why not just slam your gears in harder?

I've got a short stick on my TR7, and a Normal one, cant tell the diff at all. Just seems sportier, nice and tight doing little shifts, its no quicker i dont think.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
i have one, its 100 times better than the stock au shifter... $375 is a good price compared to some of the american ones..
it isnt just a short stick, its actually shortens the throw of the shifter, its a lot more sturdy, not like the flimsy ford shit.... well worth the dollars IMO, but not sure if **** webb has made anymore, i bought his last one at the time, he sold em out pretty quick.

·
Experimental Racer#6
8,192 Posts
I put a shortened(by 1.5") gear stick in my ED last year, it lasted a week, i didnt like it.
What shortening the shift lever/stick does actualy lessens the Mechanical Advantage the gear stick has, therefore making shifting harder.
As for just slaming the gears home, you can if to if you want to stuff up your syncro's.
The SVO/Herrod short shifter raises the Pivot point of the Ball on the shifter, this gives the same mechanical advantage(minimal shift effort), as the standard, but results in quicker gear changes.
And in my opinion $375 is pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
FoMoCo4eva said:
Are there any other brands or methods someone could use to make the shift alot quicker?
You could use the factory Tremec short throw as used on the XR6T. Normally about $275, without the annoying rattles of other makes. % reduction will (as with any brand) depend on what shifter you have now.(what is the distance from first to second?)

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
however, that shifter could quite likely remove the annoying T5 thing where it gets stuck between the 1st and 3rd gate when you're trying to select the latter..
yeah damn i hate that!!!!

As for just slaming the gears home, you can if to if you want to stuff up your syncro's.
The SVO/Herrod short shifter raises the Pivot point of the Ball on the shifter, this gives the same mechanical advantage(minimal shift effort), as the standard, but results in quicker gear changes.
raising the pivot point on the shifter means the bottom moves 'faster' in relation to the top (where your hand is) so it is in effect doing exactly the same thing as if you shove it harder, but the benifit is that you have to move your hand less far at the same speed to have a faster shift.

your synchros still cop it weither you slam it into gears with a stock shifter or a "quickshifter"

i would love one, but more HP is more important at the moment :D gm destroya and i are looking into the possibility of enginerring up one of these things to sell, but it probably wont be for a while...

·
EB Series 2 XR6
37 Posts
I have one in the EB XR6 and if u are thinking about it, be sure your T-5 is reasonably healthy, u will probably appreciate it more. It does lessen the shift but for the $375 it costs, if i had my time again i don't think i would've bothered.

Cheers
Nath

·
cArSiK
1,249 Posts
TIKFD6 said:
I put a shortened(by 1.5") gear stick in my ED last year, it lasted a week, i didnt like it.
What shortening the shift lever/stick does actualy lessens the Mechanical Advantage the gear stick has, therefore making shifting harder.
so true kerry , it does make the gearbox harder to shift. I was just getting bored with the stock one with that massive rubber boot....you do get used to the shorter shifter , put your shorter one back on....you will get used to it! :angel: :angel:

james

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
yeah, just as i thought, lol, it does nothing :)

Shoving it in faster normally hurts your sychros(normally its downchanges that hurt them anyway), and with the quickshifter, your hand isnt moving as fast, but the gears are, and so hurting your synchros just the same.
So whats the point? I guess its just nice, it sure doesnt help the speed of the gearchange or help internals of the gearbox in anyway.

Save your money i think, and get some better tyres with the money!

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
well in theory it does decrease the time it takes to change gears, and from peoples' qualitative assessments (ie wot they reckon mate) it makes the gearbox feel nicer to use.

a lever thats the same height as the stock one and angled just a little closer to the driver would be sweet i reckon - i tried a cut-down lever in my car for about a month (borrowed it off gm destroya for a test) and decided that i preferred a lever closer to the steering wheel, and also with a shorter lever you loose that perfect angle EA/D falcs have where its just sooooo comfortable to have your elbow resting on the centre console lid and your hand on the shifter as you cruise down the freeway...

its on the "to do" list i suppose - but its pretty far down.

·
Bring Back Jeff Kennet
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
geez thanks fellas...

well im a little doubtful about it now. I guess I could use that 375 to buy a better diff i guess.

Although the idea of bending the stick itself sounds interesting..ill have to check it out.

·
Banned
555 Posts
3.7 or 3.9 diff gears behind the 5 speed will make the car faster than any shift kit on the market.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts