Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming up for my 15 thou service on my BA. After all the discussions on pros and cons of what oil is best, I have decided to use a particular brand and change it more regular than the set services. My dealer uses a different brand so I was wondering how I would go doing it myself. Does any one know how the warranty is effected or any other problems I may come up against?
Thanx - Eric

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
If its an approved oil that sells in service stations you have no problems..So long as you tighten filter and sump plug properly and not too tight...

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
You'll probably need to let them change the oil as part of the service - I doubt you'll get a service any cheaper if you tell them not to, and they might use as a point of dispute in any warranty claims (you'll know you've changed it, but they'll probably argue that you prove it. Also, I believe you need to legally get it serviced by an registered motor vehicle service centre for the warranty to be valid).

It might be worth clarifying the above (they *might* be happy to let you do it), but make sure you get it in writing. You would also want to document the changes (dates, k's, receipts for oil / filters etc).

But its probably going to easiest to let them change it, then you can simply change again once its back.

Oh, as a final note - I personally will never let a dealer change the oil in my car once its past warranty. Last time I did this, it came back with a bonus engine noise, of which the service dept either couldn't hear, couldn't diagnose, or thought was normal for the vehicle.... I have a personal suspicion than an apprentice did something very dumb to it . . .

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just supply the oil you want in the engine and tell them to use that.
Never had any arguments with dealers not doing as asked.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I think he wants to change it more regular.. Yes do it imo..
But I wouldn't tell them as they could use it as an excuse if somethimg goes wrong.. Hardly likely though...

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am always suspicious of dealers or anyplace changing my oil. I check the colour before it goes in and as soon as I pick it up from the dealer,in his yard.
On the subject of oil, which is the best oil for a car that now goes 15000km's between services ? My dealer recently changed from Mobil to Castrol, as it is better for the new engine, than the Mobil oil, he said.

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
casrms1450 said:
On the subject of oil, which is the best oil for a car that now goes 15000km's between services ?
i would say no oil, do one oil change yourself in between if you plan on keeping this car for some time, i would to it every 7500 klm thats what i am doing with mine, and you will find most poeple wont wait 15,000 klm to do a oil change some of the V8 owner's are choosing to have a 5,000 klm oil change..

·
Warning: Constant drifter
112 Posts
either supply the oil you want, or just use their oil. The oil we use at Range Ford is very good.

·
On the 7th God Made Ford
98 Posts
I'd also suggest unless your doin heaps o kays and hard mods u probably wouldn't need to change any less than 7,500kays - any more and your probably just being too cautious - But i'm not saying it hurts to change frequently!

·
Registered
625 Posts
[atomic]nexus, what oil does Range Ford put in the AU Series 3, V8 ?
Mine will be getting its 30k service, soon.
15k service was done by Lynford, where I bought the car.
Thanks

·
112 Posts
it would be castrol super

·
112 Posts
take it to range ford welshpool... they are a service dedicated dealer. not a car sales yard. we are very professional and your car will be looked after.

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
Always double check work that was done- make sure they didnt forget something...I've had problems with several dealers and the local lube shop-Examples:
1) I rebuilt the front end on my mark vii, was out of tubes of grease, decided to just go to local lube shop- had oil,chassis, and transmission serviced. got home, double checked for leaks, noticed they didnt grease the new balljoints or tie rods...called them, they said sorry, bring it back, they got me in and out in a minute, got back home-decided to doublecheck- they greased the balljoints, not the tierods. Called them back, they said sorry, bring it back...needless to say I never gave them any more business.
2)my wifes windstar had a fuelpump quit when the car was only about 4 months old. happened on a saturday, they towed it in to the ford dealership, monday morning at 8:30 my wife calls, said they called and it was ready to pick up. I know it takes longer than 1/2 hour to put a pump in, so I called service to see what they did- said it was 'just a blown fuse'...I asked them to let it idle for another half hour or so, 10 minutes later they called me back to say it blew two more fuses(two more!?). they replaced the pump, we got it back in a couple days. idiots...
3)About 6 months after the fuel pump, my wife said washer fluid was low- I opened the hood and saw the fuse box cover was missing- dirt/bugs/salt...called the dealer back, they were 'certain' that they didnt forget to put it back on after the fuel pump fuse problem-- I explained that this was the first time I had ever looked under the hood- car went to dealer for regular servicing...reluctantly they replaced it. careless...still waiting for electrical problems from this.
4)windstar went in for service- warranty replacement of squeaky tierod ends-had them service brakes at same time as noticed a slight squeal in rear- had them replace front linings,replace rear if needed- picked up the car, was shocked to pay $200 for the brake work- replaced front, inspected/cleaned/adjusted rears...two days later, on the highway, hit brakes and pedal went almost to floor. got off highway, thought low fluid, removed M/C cap, and sprayed brake fluid everywhere. walked around car, rear wheel was smoking- tore apart beside the road, found a filthy, dusty, brake with stuck wheel cylinder. was so hot it boiled the fluid-thats why m/c sprayed. loosened adjuster limped to nearest dealer, got new drum/seals and wheel cylinder, had to replace myself as of course, had to happen on holiday weekend.told my wife the dealer will never,ever see this car again. dangerous ...
I've got a few more, but this is getting way too long...you get the point though.
people are people, but especially with warranty issues- theres a push to 'get them out the door' as hourly rates are fixed...one job has one hangup, broken bolt, etc, and the mechanic has to make up time somewhere, or he looses money. everybody makes mistakes, but just because you pay someone a decent rate, dont mean they wont screw up- always doublecheck anything done.

·
Registered
625 Posts
[atomic]nexus. Whats the difference between Range Ford Maddington and Welshpool ?
Aren't all service depts the same ? Welshpool is out of my way. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts