Ford Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the oil in the XR8 and noticed that it has oil spattered from the bottom of the oil filler cap and down onto that side rocker cover.

The amount was probably not much and was pooled slightly at the rear of the cover.

Does this mean something bad or a minor issue?

·
Super Moderator
3,754 Posts
Yes; I'd hate to be the only one worrying needlessly.

I gather you think the oil is leaking from the cap itself. If so it could be a faulty cap or rocker cover but more likely a spill when someone missed pouring oil in. Nonetheless check the cap is sealing properly and the filler cap and pipe thread is Ok, and seal is in good nick. If in doubt, buy a new filler cap.

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm,

I checked the cap it was tight. The oil seemed to be coming from where the filler meets the rocker cover but I guess it could have sprayed from the cap.

Suppose as long as it's not appearing from below the rocker its probably something minor.

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh,

I've never treated it rough - I've only opened it a couple of times.

Its an AUIIXR8 ute with 10000kms on it so it really hasn't had a change to be abused full stop.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Just a thought check to see if the p.c.v has not come out at the back centre of your engine, and is working properly..I wouldn't worry...Spilt oil... one drop there goes along way..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts