Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking of upgrading the wheels on the AU to 17's but I though that I might as well spend the extra $600 or so bucks and treat myself to a set of 18's for the ute.

What are the pros and cons of going for the 18's?

If they are a major hassle I guess it'll be 17's for the AU.

I was thinking of either ROH RT's, Azzuros or Ravens in shadow chrome.

Any reccomendations for other wheels as well as tyres?

G

·
cons

remember something

16's u have semi low profile tyres/or low prof.
17 u have even lower profile
18 is even worse

if you intend to drive the ute hard or use it as a "ute" 18" wheels dont have much of a tyre sidewall to protect the wheel if you hit a big bump/kerb/rock whatever. thats the major problem with 17 and 18" rims. you can dent them very easily if your not careful.

Also, 17's and lowering it would be a better go, unless u wanna keep it stock suspension.

Otherwise, the price of tyres .. $$$ :)

·
ST170ish
610 Posts
18's would look brillant, but the extra spent could buy much wider 17x9or10's with say 255/45 allround, it would fill the guards better plus get extra grip. Something the utes need at the back with those leafs...the ute fun factor!
You will also need to consider the load rating of the wheels and tyres...which can be very frustrating as I found out, hate to have a 1 tonner as there's not many wheels and prefomance tyres to choose from.

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The damage factor is worrying in fact as I live in Sydney which has awful roads. IS it damge just trough beig a bit silly hitting kerbs etc or are we talking buckles.dings etc from going into potholes?

I already have the standard tickford 17's - its an XR8 ute and I think 18's would look great but I also use it as a ute to tow etc.

BTW tyres aren't actually only about $50 more a set if you shop wisely and bargain.

I was quited 2500 with rubber for a set of ROH RT's and Azzurros in 18 with rubber.

What's the largest tyre you can fit on a standard tickford rim 17x8 - can you fit 9 ich rubber to that or do you need a new rim.

Hmm, perhaps I should get it lowered instead.

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're tempting me...

Such many mods so little $$$$ :)

But 18's shouldn't be too bad there are heaps and heaps of clubsorts/r8's etc out there with 18's etc. They should be so bad unless I intend to smash up against gutters etc.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
The new pusuit 250 is coming out with 18's as standard i think. You shouldnt have any probs.......go for it!!

·
BSR Field Agent
578 Posts
Mate Go with the 18's but just remember the floaty suspesion of the Forte. Will the body work stay of your tyres with standard suspension set up??

Nipper...

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nipper,

Nah the 18's are for my XR8 ute and the 17's from that would go onto the forte alng with a set of lowered springs and new shocks.

I'll have to think Xmas is coming

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
TheBow said:
I was quited 2500 with rubber for a set of ROH RT's and Azzurros in 18 with rubber.
Where did you get the quote from???

My insurance has my 17" XR8 mags listed as a seperate option, noted down as 'Non-standard wheels 8"', referring to the width. In theory, I could get 18x8 and still be ok insurance wise yeah?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I'll say again from aprevious thread. Azzurros are not available in Shadow Chrome despite the website and all that saying they are.

·
Ford Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Venom XR said:

My insurance has my 17" XR8 mags listed as a seperate option, noted down as 'Non-standard wheels 8"', referring to the width. In theory, I could get 18x8 and still be ok insurance wise yeah?
Australias best Tyre and Muffler service in Bankstown, I found them in the yellow pages.

Don't know about the insurance but it would seem logical as they already know you have non standard. The only issue is if the car gets stolen etc they will replace with 17x8's if that was the size you mentioned not the 18's.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Venom XR said:

I think you are right with that assumption. When I was looking into getting EL GT rims for my EF Ghia, they were not concerned with the diameter of the rim, only the width. Which made the EL GT rim no good for my car, being 8 1/2" wide. No EF come out with anything over 7" wide. I think it's the old 1" over rule, nothing more.
Stupid I know considering the EL GT was near the same car as my EF Ghia with Tickford suspension.
Russell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts