Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just asking for opinions here guys, of late I have been considering purchasing an ED XR6 manual. Currently in W.A. there seems to be two nice examples (well would wanna be being in the $11K to $12 price range) one is a polly green ex ford executive car with all options like body kit, sun roof, cruise, t/bar, premium sound with 6 stack, full service history, 140K kms, new rubber and full genie exhaust. The other: FALCON ED, XR6, 1993, 5 spd, p/steer, air cond, cruise control, 17" rims, low km, lowered, new clutch & sports exhaust, EL GT hydratrack 3.45 LSD diff, CD player, alarm, serviced every 5000km, 2nd owner, excel cond $11,300 ono

I know both are asking well above the adverage price of an average ED XR6 and would not pay those amounts unless they were in mint condition and also had long rego's.

So do I go out and get a loan? I currently have one year left of uni and work part time or wait till uni is over, get a full time job then loan? I live at home and I figured out if a get a measly $3000 (worse case senerio) for the EB I currently drive this cash could pay off the loan for a year without my works pay contributing to the loan. I know about full comp insurance with loans and can get it cheap as my family has a good broker.

So what should I do...or what have you done??

·
grippin'n'rippin
250 Posts
If it won't put a financial strain on your final year at uni and really want it and can't wait, get it. Go for the manual as they are hard to come accross. If you do decide to get it, have a look in the trading post first as it does seem a bit steep what the dealer is asking for. You would be better off buying one privately.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Personally I waited until I was working full time before I took out a loan for my new car. But if you are confident you can handle the financial responsibilities while still being at UNI then go for it. ED XR6's are lovely cars :thup:

Ash

·
I am a Turbo Wanker
2,379 Posts
I got a $6000 loan for my ED 2 years ago when I was 1/2 way through a four year degree. I had to cause my 20 year old Subaru was getting, er... old. I still owe a couple of grand but now that I am working full time with good pay I plan to pay that off completely in the next couple of months.

I only payed $8500 for my ED two years ago, so $12,000 for XR6 of the same age might mean things are a little different for you than me.

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
Why, specifically, do you want an XR6?
IMO the only real thing they have over a worked stocky is the resale value. If you were going to spend $12k on a car, why not spend it on yours, you should be able to get easy 14's then :hehe:

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
Go the xr! theyre a great car... and go good!!! and the quadlights really make look tough!!
do what u want, but i recommend if theyre in good nick...like they should be for that price, by all means dont hestitate to ask for a test spin... u wont regret it! :p :s6: Oh yeh BTW go the manual!!!!

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mongrelEB said:
Why, specifically, do you want an XR6?
IMO the only real thing they have over a worked stocky is the resale value. If you were going to spend $12k on a car, why not spend it on yours, you should be able to get easy 14's then :hehe:
haha I was waiting for you to say this, but its the whole package I am after. Another ED XR6 man, poly green in good cond is advertised in todays classifieds for $10000 all the above cars are private sales! One ED XR6 man was in the autotrader for $9000 at a dealer but didn't know the condition, Ks and no options by the looks disappeared very quickly. Another ED XR6 auto wagon is for sale in the autotrader, dealer is asking $10999

I will not rush out yet hopefully those guys lower their prices but won't stop me ringing up and tyre kicking. Seems we are paying more then you eastern staters.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
yeh... ed xr's average 9k or less over here, but can sometimes fetch a bit over 10k for a good one.
It all about the pakage isnt it with the xr's! :hy:

·
Poorer than ever!
156 Posts
They're such great cars - you'll be kicking yourself if you don't end up getting one. Seriously through, take a good look at your finances, sure it'll be nice to have the car, but if you have to sell it a couple of months later 'cos you can't handle the loan repayments, it sure wouldn't be worth it. Anyway, if it was my choice, i'd be going the first one. It sounds like a great package, however, just watch out with the power sunroof, if it's factory fitted, make sure that the drains have been serviced recently. If they're blocked, it makes one hell of a mess next time it rains - trust me, I found out the hard way :s5

·
R.I.P S/C EBII Fairmont
305 Posts
ED's look nice and I'm sure are good cars, but personally I'd rather an EL XR6 or EL Ghia. You'd be surprised how cheap some of them go for, especially privately. $12k should be able to get you one of these cars no worry! I'm a big fan of the full leather interior in the Ghia's! EL XR's are very good looking cars, even completely stock without a bodykit. But then again, it's up to you. I was in the same situation a while ago. I decided that it was going to be too much of a strain to get a loan (was looking at a 15k loan over 5 years, as going to cost me 20k in the end) and I'd rather not be paying it off until I was 24. I wanted such a big loan so I'd have plenty of cash for mod's etc for the new car. Now I'm just going to modify my EA. Whatever money I earn seams to go on her...

·
Phat Drift Damage Victim
985 Posts
Even if your finances are good and you have savings you'll need alot of things on your side to get a loan that big, I didnt have a chance of getting a loan of $5k after working fulltime for 6months and had a grand saved up. Shop around a bit, there's some good buys out there if you just hang on and keep looking, my EF is a good example of that.

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK the past week I have talked my self out of investigating further about these EDs for sale so I wouldn't have to worry about a loan.

But talk about being tempted! This weeks Quokka has this EB XR6 (what I have wanted for almost a year now) for sale "FALCON EB 1992 XR6, 5 spd, 10 mths warranty, 10 mths lic, all tickford options, p/steer, air cond, all new 2.5" sports exhaust, Pacemaker extractors, window tint, keyless entry, alarm, 16" tyres, K&N filter, full body kit & starter motor, with all receipts, just had major service, excel cond, must sell, owner going interstate $10,500 ono"
Its rare the EB XR6 pop up and a 5spd in this condition (hopefully excellent for price)! So even if I need a 2nd casual job to have a life I think I wanna get this puppy. So has anyone have old EB XR6 option list and stuff I should expect it to have considering "all tickford options" like should it have power windows?

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
It should have all the Fairmont options, definitely power windows, possibly the premium sound system, dash clock, XR dash, probably a normal heaterbox rather than a climate control, power aerial, spoiler, umm thats all I can think of right now :)

·
Poorer than ever!
156 Posts
That's still a bit for an EB XR though. If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a good ED. I know I'm a little biased, just my 2c however. I'd check up on the options though, my car apparently was all optioned up, but I don't have the power windows, just the wiring for it.

BTW, nice to see you back MongelEB.

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
It all about the pakage isnt it with the xr's!
yeah i reckon :D the seats are nearly the best part :s6:

remember you can always haggle!!!!!! i would rather an ED XR for a few hundred bucks more, rather than a EB XR - i love those lights sooo much!!! when i was looking for a car i had a choice of a fully stock white ED XR with no kit and 160k for $10500 or a fully stock red EB XR with full kit and 110k, and i bargained him down to 9k...

seems like XRs are worth a lot more over there - maybe when i decide to sell my car i will make the trek to perth and sell it there, for the extra few $$$!!!

if you can possibly afford it, and the car is in perfect nick, get the ED - the interior and lights are better, but if you cant, the EB is still a very nice car. also if it has the momo steering wheel (the leather one with 4 spokes) snap it up now!

get another job if you have to...it is worth it!

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well I got some inside info on the EB XR6 for sale. It turns out it was one in a dealership I have seen and started my quest looking for XR6s, the advertised price was $10999 but the sales guy told me it went for $8000. He liked the car and was suprised it was slow to sell (prob cos the advertised price) also commented on the power of the six and only ford guys seem to know about it ;)

going to have a look see tomorrow and give the guy a shock when I tell him where he can stick his advertised $10500 haha

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well just been and seen, has the optional 16" rims with new rubber and castor camber kit, momo wheel with the cruise buttons! power mirrors, no power windows, has premium sound but not working as he reinstalled the head unit as he had an after market head unit in it. The full body kit is an after market kit he got, looks fine but its not the genuine item nor is it the same as the XR6 kit. Also has a Viper alarm from memory and raddar detector. Bad points are the fuel gauge not working, sounds sytem not working after his install atempt and little spots on the guards were the paint has started to bubble due to rust. Gonna make an offer possibly come monday after ringing some lenders :)

·
WA Eseries Rep
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
210000 kms and its that blue colour...one I actually don't know the name off, paint work is in excellent condition and the engine bay is very neat and tidy also due to the $680 full service he had done. So transfer fee would be the only thing I would need to spend on the car and maybe tranfer fee of warrenty (he allready installed clear front indicators hehe). Thinking of making an offer around $7000 to $8000 range.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts