Ford Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 V6, 180,000 miles

I recently posted about having the sound of a overtightened screw sound coming from the drivers side wheel area when I drive. I was told that it might possibly be the upper strut bushing/bearing

Not sure if that is the problem yet but as I took off the wheel and noticed that my recently installed sway bar links had grease coming out. I don't know if when they were installed the mechanic puts extra grease into those areas or if that might be a problem with a defective part.

Can anyone give me any feedback on sway bar links.
Thanks,
Schleprock

·
canuck
2,498 Posts
Sway bar's are a mixed bag. Personally, they're not necessary on any Taurus model unless you drive it like a performance modified Porsche.

On a side note, adding grease on or around the bushings for the sway bar links will help lower noise down the road and to keep the bushings themselves (which are solid rubber) from drying out (thus creating that creaking noise that some assume it's bad suspension).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Moog and Deeza both offer end links with grease fittings. If you grease them first and then install them, it compresses the rubber boot and grease oozes out. No big deal unless they greased them so much that it ruptured the rubber boot. That's a very common mistake by rookie techs.

You never grease tie rod ends, ball joints, or end links until grease comes out. At that point you've already ruptured the boot. You grease until the boot is firm to the touch. Then quit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Moog and Deeza both offer end links with grease fittings. If you grease them first and then install them, it compresses the rubber boot and grease oozes out. No big deal unless they greased them so much that it ruptured the rubber boot. That's a very common mistake by rookie techs.

You never grease tie rod ends, ball joints, or end links until grease comes out. At that point, you've already ruptured the boot. You grease until the boot is firm to the touch. Then quit.
Well, it is fair to say that today, 11 years later, I found this out the hard way. I didn't do any research on this matter, greased that sucker till it started coming out. drove 150 miles, and grease blew out on all 4 ball joints (2 on each side), I wish I took a picture, it was just everywhere and the car drove like it was inside the ground. I trashed it, and replaced it with a sealed version. Lesson learned ✅

1 - 7 of 7 Posts