Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a ZH that i recently bought of a gramps, who hasnt touched the car in years (been in a garage). I went to check the timing to find that the dizzy is siezed up on the block (302C). Any thoughts on how to fix this without chizzling out the dizzy and replacing it?

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
My neighbors old 289 hadnt been timed since the 70's(1965), dist was seized- on the 298, theres a flat sided area at the lower part of the housing- was able to get a 15" crescent around it and rock back and forth...took a while, and I really thought I might bust it, but it finally started moving(had sprayed penetrating oil on also, imagine it had to help a bit...)

·
Registered
89 Posts
The only stuff I've ever used that actually got a seized dizzy loose was Inox. Soak the base of the dizzy with it and leave it for a few hours. You'll have to be patient cause it takes a while.

It gets in. Even better than liquid into this chalk........ :jester:

·
Banned
555 Posts
problem with the zh is the aircon compressor getting right in your way so its very hard to use any tools to turn it, best bet is some wd40/rp7 or similar put heaps let it soak then put some more and then try and un twist it but at a guess i'd say the air cons gona come off for you to doit.

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Be careful though - I have seen someone break their dizzy using excessive force in trying to lever it out of a clevo...

·
Registered
540 Posts
As stated above. This problem has occurred to me on a number of occassions before. Without fail, everytime, I always use 'Penetrene' throughout the course of the day. Also, pour some more on last thing at night and then in the morning it will be either free or close to it.

If it is still tight, pour on more peno and then grab it with both hands and try and turn it either direction but only a small amount. The trick here is persistance. Continuos penetrene and slight movements and you will get there. Once you start with big heavy tools you are well on your way to destroying the distributor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts