Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8218926%5E13762,00.html
Silver cars safer: study
December 20, 2003

WANT to stay safer on the roads this Christmas? Travel in a silver car.

That was the conclusion of a team of New Zealand researchers, who found in a two-year study that people are less likely to suffer serious injuries in road accidents if they drive a silver vehicle.

Even when the figures were adjusted to take into account the driver's age, sex, alcohol consumption, seat-belt use, vehicle age and road condition, the study concluded there was a significant reduction in risk of injury in silver cars.

Those in silver cars were half as likely to be involved in a crash resulting in serious injury than those who travelled in white cars.

With five times the silver vehicle risk of serious injury, brown car passengers fared the worst in the survey, published in the British Medical Journal today.

Black cars were almost as bad as brown, and green cars fared little better.

People travelling in grey, yellow, blue and red vehicles were about as likely as white car passengers to be badly injured in a car accident.

"Increasing the proportion of silver cars could be an effective passive strategy to reduce the burden of injury from car crashes," the researchers concluded.

AAP

·
We Love Greb Murpy
3,022 Posts
that better be BS. Not taking into account the demographic of the driver is just st00pid.

·
R.I.P Dimebag
1,333 Posts
Do these people really have nothing better do with their lives then come up with this crap. I mean shouldn't they be studing new equipment, materials ect. 2 years!!! that information could almost be processed in a week.

·
100 SPEED LIMITED SILVAEA
1,043 Posts
and what pisses me off is the fact that the government gives out grants to these hobo's to go and sicover this sort of useless crap.

cheers.joe.

·
Mr. Embargo
3,745 Posts
Yay I have a silver car!

What a bloody stupid statistic to study, glad it was fielded by kiwi's.

·
HSV eater
207 Posts
Thats ridiculous. No justification behind their statement either , Unless they mean off night, Im perplexed at how they came to this conclusion.

·
goooone
2,708 Posts
Silver cars can actually be the hardest to see in bright glare or bad weather I'd rather be in a bright car that people see coming really. Shame for me people who I don't want to see me always seem to notice my orange car tho :(

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
pffft !

There are holes in that study you could push a silver BUS through...
One more proof that university education doesn't mean you have a clue :p

Thank god it wasn't done in Au. NZ Taxpayers should demand their money back from the monkeys who produced this drivel.

·
R.I.P Dimebag
1,333 Posts
Ok I have a silver car does that mean if i'm high on marjuana and pissed as a goat i'm more likely to make it home from the pub than a sober person with a black car?

·
pR()rN_*
1,966 Posts
I'd say this means that the type of person that buys a silver car is a more attentive driver rather than the fact that the car was silver.
It's been said before that people that pick differant car colours have differant charateristics.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I remember early in 1994 some goofus came up with the same result about silver cars being safer and involved in less accidents so based on that some halfwit/Govt funded genius will come up with "an important study into the safe colour selection for cars" in 2014 Result? Silver!
Safe motoring to all FF patrons

Cheers
Bill.

As a courtesy alert other drivers of speed camera hazards by flashing your highbeam.

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
A. Only in NZ
B. I bet one of them got a PHD for that conclusion
C. Why do grey cars fall in the same categories as the rest of the field when it could be argued that grey metallic is a form of silver :p

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
my black car doesn't rate - it travels so fast that people don't even know it exists

·
Registered stingy user
208 Posts
What about cars that are 2 tone, and what about cars that are black with a silver tinge. Pearl? Are we semi safe or semi dangerous?

Interesting headline, interesting conclusion. They are eff'd! Thats all.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
Mr Jucy said:
Silver cars can actually be the hardest to see in bright glare or bad weather I'd rather be in a bright car that people see coming really.
That is the exact reason why my Sister won't agree with this "study". She hates silver cars, and will never buy one. First of all she hates people saying Silver is a colour...and secondly she brings up the point that they are the hardest to see at dusk etc.

Give me a Blood Orange GT anyday.

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
LOL, this study is the biggest load of crap.

Comparison:

One flatmate drives a dead stock silver excel, the other flatmate drives a silver astra. I drive heavily modified White 6cyl and Black/Silver (more black) V8.

Just for the year 2003: The 2 silver cars have had 4 accidents, my 2 'high risk' cars combined had 1 (hit a dog). The drivers have racked up 3 speeding fines to my 0. Stick that in your silver pipe and smoke it, bloody researchers.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Below transcribes a real conversation i over heard.
COP- sir do you have any idea how fast you were travelling
SILVER CAR DRIVER- yes officer, i was doing a bit over 120
COP- sir don't you know speed kills?
SILVER CAR OWNER- officer i know it's dark, but hadn't you noticed i drive a silver car, i'm less likely to be injured because of this.
COP- sorry sir, my mistake. You have a good night.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
What a load of rubbish. If silver is such a safe colour, how come I nearly got wiped out half a dozen times while parked on the side of the road in a bright silver VW Transporter with huge reflective orange stripes all over it and a really bright flashing light pod?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts