Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ford butcher and baker
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose I am not the only one who has had the shifter pull out of the single rail gearbox while moving up to the window in the macdonalds drive thru at 6pm...

I've bought a new nylon bush and it still happens.

Does anyone have any decent permanent fixes for this?

Are quick-shifts available for the single-rail 4speed?

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Well, how many times did I have this happen?

Lots!
The threads on the alloy housing are probably partially stripped.
The fix - when you put the nylon bush in use loctite or super glue. Works a treat.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
max_torque said:
I suppose I am not the only one who has had the shifter pull out of the single rail gearbox while moving up to the window in the macdonalds drive thru at 6pm...

I've bought a new nylon bush and it still happens.

Does anyone have any decent permanent fixes for this?

Are quick-shifts available for the single-rail 4speed?
Grant Walker motors in Bayswater have reco honey pots. They sleave the shaft and also put new thread in. I got one of these when i had my XD and it made it feel so much better. If you do get one make sure you get the right one as there is two different types, one is higher than the other.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
It's a common fault with Single Rails, along with the synchros (especially 2nd gear) wearing. As Aussie Pete says use some glue (Araldite might be better than Super Glue) and try putting a hose clamp around the fold down metal tabs.

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Another alternative is to use the metal threaded ball on the lever from earlier or other models (not sure which ones now), which won't strip.

I had my nylon lever ball come out a few times at inconvenient moments when I really didn't want to be unable to select a gear or stay in neutral (it always came out part way through a shift), so I replaced it with the metal one and no problems ever after.

One problem with the metal version, as I discovered when replacing the clutch on the XF, is that you can't get at it properly with a wrench etc to remove the lever before you drop the box, and if it's in real tight you can't remove it and then the lever can't clear the hole in the tunnel and then you can't get the box back far enough to get the shaft all the way out and then when you've got that far and pulled the shaft part way and can't get the bastard back in you realise that the box cannot be removed with the lever attached.

Moral: don't put thread locker on the metal one, and do it up in the car, not about 500 Nm on the ground before you put it back in.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
Falchoon said:
It's a common fault with Single Rails, along with the synchros (especially 2nd gear) wearing. As Aussie Pete says use some glue (Araldite might be better than Super Glue) and try putting a hose clamp around the fold down metal tabs.
Yeah second gear was always a problem on those. I found it was the synchro springs causing the problem, not allowing the blocking plates to move properly. A bit of modifcation fixed the problem and it never happened again...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts