Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We should probably restrict this to hot rodding terms as we would surely get into trouble if we were to apply slang to the "chicks". Wow, is that still used? Oops, I see that this subject has been broached before, but not as it applies to hot rodding or cars.

·
Super Moderator
20,676 Posts
Banger
Internal combustion engine pistons cylinders

Internal-combustion engines have cylinders. The controlled explosions that create power enable pistons to move up and down in these cylinders, or combustion chambers.
Modern IC engines have 4-, 5-, 6-, 8-, 10-, and 12-cylinder engines. The 4s, 6s, and 8s are the most most common, giving us V6s and V8s when the cylinders are arranged in a V shape with an equal number on each side; a 4-cylinder engine will usually set the cylinder up "inline" — in a straight line.
Gearheads will often call a 4- or 6-cylinder motor a "four banger" or "six banger" because the exploding gas-air mixture and pistons will "bang" in the cylinders.

BANGER
This is what we call a lump of crap car .

We called "chicks" ............. birds , something similar .But chicks was sometimes used by some trying to be " hip " ( in their minds only ).

·
Super Moderator
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeh, "Banger" That is used often here too, unless it's a single-cylinder motorcycle. Then it's a "Thumper". Here, junk is just a POS car. I can only guess, but if we were to count the number of slang terms applied to anything, women would come out on top, cars second, maybe.

·
Super Moderator
20,676 Posts
Pocket rocket .

Small car with lots of power.

Smoker .

a cheap secondhand car

·
Super Moderator
20,676 Posts
A rumble seat (American English)

Dicky seat, dickie seat or dickey seat (British English), also called a mother-in-law seat

·
Super Moderator
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Huffer" "Puffer" = a blower=a supercharger, but not a turbocharger.
Who can forget "Seemore"doors?

·
Super Moderator
20,676 Posts
Who can forget "Seemore"doors?

Me , haven't a clue what they are and cant find anything on them . You will have to educate me ( again ) on this .

·
Super Moderator
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Umm! Ahhh! Some call them "suicide" doors, ones that are hinged in the rear and open into the wind, like on a '33-'34 Ford. They got the name "seemore" doors because when a lady in a dress exits you can see more with these doors. I'm really in trouble now.

·
Super Moderator
20,676 Posts
Worked on plenty of cars with suicide doors , the first I remember was one of these from a customers collection .

1936 BENTLEY 4¼ LITRE SALOON BY PARK WARD

·
Super Moderator
20,676 Posts
Some motor trade cash slang ,

monkey = five hundred pounds (£500)
archer = two thousand pounds (£2,000)
ayrton senna/ayrton = tenner (ten pounds, £10)
bag/bag of sand = grand = one thousand pounds (£1,000),
bar = a pound
bunce = money
bung = money in the form of a bribe
deep sea diver = fiver (£5),
McGarrett = fifty pounds (£50)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts