Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 E350 cutaway van that was turned into a motorhome. I had to replace the muffler and when I did that I noticed that there were what looked like small man-made holes at the neck of the end of the catalytic converter that connects to the engine side.

This causes a significant leak in the exhaust system and also unsurprisingly makes for an interesting sound. Are those holes supposed to be there? Or was this a case of somebody trying to do some kind of backyard improvement?

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Apart from the noise , fumes it will also fail any emissions test . Usually knackered / clogged cat when someone does this rather than replace .

·
Super Moderator
3,715 Posts
Depending on the size of the holes it's either backyard hack of questionable value to deal with a plugged cat or someone had drilled a hole to insert a test probe into the cat (see Catalytic Converter Testing). Or if it's at the lowest point of the exhaust someone may be trying to prevent the exhaust rusting out by providing drain holes to allow condensation to drain (unlikely); often works with rear mufflers and resonators but not at the front of the system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I road tested this hoglet and I am getting some backfiring at high rpm/load. I know leaks can cause that. Any thoughts on just plugging the holes and see what happens? That would determine if the cat is clogged correct?

·
Super Moderator
20,942 Posts
Crazy and dangerous to drive with holes in it . Best of luck on plugging the holes !! I remember road testing a car that backfired and split the front exhaust silencer / muffler wide open the length of the seam weld .Frightens the s**t out of you .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crazy and dangerous to drive with holes in it . Best of luck on plugging the holes !! I remember road testing a car that backfired and split the front exhaust silencer / muffler wide open the length of the seam weld .Frightens the s**t out of you .
Well I only drove it a short distance lol. I swear as I get older and work on cars I just scratch my head because if people just left it alone, it would be fine. People always trying to "get more power" and stuff like that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts