Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hope this fix might help someone else with a faulty one of these:



One of my smartlock remotes had been playing up for some time requiring a good tap to make it work. It finally stopped altogether and after a few hours of tracing the circuit under a magnifyer I found the microswitches no longer appeared in circuit. Initially I was able to fix this by GENTLEY pinching the four corners as illustrated (pliers shown on lower microswitch; points to squeeze gently shown with yellow arrows on the upper microswitch). However, this fix lasted only a few days. Further examination and testing showed the joints (shown with the red arrow on upper switch) on both switches were 'dry' or broken away and a quick application of a hot fine pointed soldering iron has fixed it. I assume pressing on the switches moves the switches slightly over the years causing these problems.



WARNINGS: Take the battery out of the remote before doing this; you don't want to short something and create a new problem. If you are not an experienced solderer find someone who is as this is a fiddley job and you want to be quick and accurate.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I mentioned to a friend that I had fixedmy remote and she gave me her one to fix. Turned out to be a different problem. Where the battery connectors are rivetted on the rivetted part was no lomger making a connection with the track. I guess I could have tried tightening it with a strategic hammer blow but I went with a jumper wire soldered through the rivet and a test hole at the end of the track instead as shown


.

This was my first attempt. Besides the bad soldering the wire was in the wrong place and too thick to close the remote. Moving it up towards the battery fixed it. In any event another one fixed and another cause that according to my friend apparently initially had similar symptoms although it was dead when it came to me. Tracking this one down took much longer and also showed me the centre pins on those microswitches (red arrows in 1st post) don't make electrical connections; they just stop the switch moving so I assume that on mine in the first post the slight heating of the other four corners (yellow arrows) that I did at the same time fixed it.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top