Ford Forums banner

Smartshield engaged NU Fairlane Ghia Series III

774 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Aussiblue 
#1 ·
Hello, I've replaced the BCM (pink) and ECU with 2nd hand items from wrecking yard.
Also new batteries (twice, due to parasitic drain?) over last 4 years.
I have 2 keys with remote fobs.
PATS code comes up as Possible anti-theft detected, Smartshield engaged.
Everything works on the car when on (accessories) but no start.... car is Immobilised.
How can I fix the issue, I have the replacement ECU vin number.
Can a locksmith refresh the computer?
Could an NRMA start it with an NGS detect?
Or is my only option to take it to FORD dealership, which they quoted over $1,000-AUS to recode.
Please help, I'm a Disabled Pensioner living on scraps.

#2 ·
You need to do a parameter reset. You can do it yourself with Forscan for Windows and a Windows notebook or lapotop PC. See Parameter reset for AUII Falcon Ute - FORScan forum and Parameter reset for AUII Falcon Ute - FORScan forum etc Also search for and read all other references to "AU Falcon" and "Parameter reset" in the Forscan Forum . You will also need Forscan see Download FORScan and one of the two USB dongles they recommend here: the OBD Linx EX or the Vgate VLinger FS OBD2USB Adapter for Forscan with HS/MS Can Auto switch. In theory you can also do it with a Bluetooth Phone or Phone and Wifi and a ELM32r with a Ford switch (eg. Modified ELM327 WiFi Diagnostic Scanner Tool with Switch for Ford Mazda KK 880926343562 | eBay, but I would not recommend it; comms are much too slow and unreliable in comparison to a laptop PC and a USB connection. Otherwise it's off to a Ford dealer.

If you can let us know what City or town you are in (post it here), someone on the forum might volunteer to do it for you.

#3 ·
I have a MUCAR V06 diagnostic scanner, with Ford subscription.
It's Android 11.0 latest version.
Can't communicate with the ECU, comes up "Check connection, check ignition is on". Very frustrating.
But it did manage to pull a code, PATS is engaged (Smartshield).
Do you think I could download Forscan software into my scanner/tablet?
I only have an old Macbook Pro 10 laptop.

#5 · (Edited)
I have never heard of the MUCAR V06 diagnostic scanner until now and it doesn't seem to the support the Ford Falcon/Fairlane/LTD AU/NU which has a unique proprietary Ford Australia OBD protocol. I very much doubt that you can install Forscan on it. I think you need to contact MUCAR and ask about support for the Australian AU series. As nothing comes up when you click on "Ford Australia " here https://h5.thinkcar.com/coveragetk/detail?soft_name=Ford (Australia )&package_id=AUSTFORD&name=&type=2 after clicking on support here MuCar it does not look very promising.

#6 ·
You are correct. After pre-purchase questioning Thinkcar regarding my Fairlane problem, they assured me after Ford software subscription option was taken up as well that the MUCAR V06 would have bi-directional communication with vehicles ECU.
They lied!
Thinkcarbest last reply after I pulled P1260 code from the Ghia was..." You changed SKU, our unit will not work.
Swindled out of $450-AUD I was, I despise cheats.

#8 · (Edited)
Note also that some scanner maker have adapter cables so their standard dioagnostic scanner can work with an AU Falcon e.g see the DL-16 adpater for Snap-on referred to in their manual at https://www.snapontools.com.au/wp-c...ord_Vehicle_Communication_Software_Manual.pdf No guarantee implied but some people have found these adapters also work with other than Snap-on code scanner. They are somewhat readily available tooe.g. NEW 5-FT Extension Cable 4 Snap-On DA-4 MT2500-46 & DL-16 OBD-II OBD2 Adapter | eBay the AU supports international standards ISO 15031-5 and SAE International J1979, but not J1850 as most scanners and other diagnostic tools do. It was a way for Ford Australia to get more service business as you really had to go them or buy a relatively very expensive tool that was compatible. It backfired somewhat as this together with, and probably more significant factor, what many considered was the ugly looks of the AU, drove customers away from buying that model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.