Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
That is a pretty big side impact - must have been another Holden IRS lose.

The only prob with the VT IRS is there isn't enough rebound damping - once you get the tail out and the outside spring is fully compressed, it will spit you back the other way because the spring etxtends at a rate greater than the shock can damp.

I know, cos it spat me into the gravel coming out of the hairpin at Collie in WA.

Hey DONUT KING you may want to edit your post above and link this pic , it's only 55k instead of the 900k .bmp you linked up there, would load a bit quicker for us poor poeple who don't have cable yet (only 2 more weeks - woohoo)

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
This is obviously turning into a safety issue. I remember in the latest MOTOR comparo of the AUII XR8 and VX SS, journo said that through a particular corner on the test run, the SS would lose it while the XR8 had no trouble, and that's at the same speed! If this is an issue of safety, whether it be the IRS design or suspension setup, HOLDEN should fix it! They would probably say, "well you shouldn't be driving that fast on the roads", then I would say, " then why bother selling such a car"...

·
Interloper from LS1.com
768 Posts
It certainly is an issue - it's the same as the VT's chopping out the inside of the rear tyres - it's the geometry of the IRS, a camber kit will fix it but should you have to fit one to fix a problem that is a design fault.

It could well become an issue especially with the number of Commodores out there cos the Falcon is so sucky and no-one wants to buy it. :p

Look at the number of cops cars that have been crashed the same way.

·
Ford Member
520 Posts
I am a control freak! I like big rearwheel drive Australian cars epecially the SS Commodore, and my Commodore loves power poles! :D

My name is Mark Skaife and im gay too! :evil2:

HAHA thats a pretty big scratch, do you recon touchup would fix it?

T

·
0 Posts
I have it from a reliable source the VT's dont have IRS.
Willing to share if anyone's interested.

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
THE DOCTOR said:
I have it from a reliable source the VT's dont have IRS.
Willing to share if anyone's interested.
What??? Do you mean the cop cars?

Start sharing :wink2:

T

·
0 Posts
no-no, got this article on Holden VT's. This guy reckons they dont have IRS as such, it's a fib from Holden. I'll dig it out and put it up for discuss.

T

·
0 Posts
without causing to much of a scare, remember it's a Holden, sorry Hobbes.

Quote" GM insiders claim the IRS is a state of the art platform with an almost all-aluminium multi link rear suspension to replace Commodore's present antiquated semi-trailing arm design. Although HSV likes to describe the rear suspension of the GTS 300 as a multi link design, this is a little bit of a fib. The hottest Holden of all, actually has the same rear suspension that's found beneath every other Commodore, but with a simple toe-control link added. Unquote"

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
Oh ok, that was in MOTOR I remember, yeah that just saying that the GTS has an extra link over the standard trailing arm design on all other commodores!

·
Bring Back the 24hr!!!
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the trailing arms do allow independedt movement of the 2 sides of the rear suspension so technically it can be called IRS

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
As much as id love to see Holden recall every Bombadore to 'fix' the rear suspension, we cant assume that this accident was because of it, who knows what the driver was doing to cause this. 200kmh on a wet road, hitting a puddle which causes it to aquaplane into a power pole or tree would not necessarily be the fault of the suspension.

But bet some 18yo hoon bought this wreck and is now putting the LS1 into his full sick Gemmi :rolleyes:

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
I don't think we were implying that this particular accident was caused because of its IRS! It just made me raise a point about it, then it continued from there. But as Brendan said (LS1 owner), he feels there is a safety issue that is real and can be avoided if Holden fitted the extra link, like they do to the GTS.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Scary to note that the Commodore IRS is almost excactly the same as the one that was in my 1971 Triumph which dated from 1964! At least the holden rear end doesn't get spline lockup like the Triumph did and try to spit you sideways!

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,542 Posts
Geeez that SS has been in abit of a dinger.
Thats one bent commodore.
Hehehe yeah your probably right martin theres bound to be someone getting the parts out of the car and puttin it in their fully sick gemmi mate.

yeah bout the commo rear end, i drove a VT and nearl7y lost it in the wet, never had a car loose the back str8 out like this commodore. Have to say it was bloody scary. As soon as it snapped out it snapped the other way. Lucky me recovered un harmed.

·
Formerly J-type
1,629 Posts
The driver of that SS would of been killed instantly - there is no way anyone could survive an impact like that .
Side impacts are the weakest link of the VT, though if the car was fitted with a airbag curtain it might of been a different story- the car could of been fitted with holdens side airbags but they are not really effective enough to protect the head even though the bag is designed to.

T

·
0 Posts
cant say I'm a fan of the VT or airbags. I did have a small or rather minor accident in a work car with a buddy. the impact was such that the front bumper recieved a scratch, however that was enough to set the airbags off. I can tell you one thing, having the bag go off in your face, is like going 5 rounds with mike tyson.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
11 Participants
The Stylist
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing