Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have had an ef falcon towed in, with 140 k's on the clock. The thing has busted a timing chain! and destroyed most of the timing case. The bloke said he couldnt hear any rattling noises before the chain snapped but there is evidence that the chain was sraping around before it snapped, any ideas to why the thing has broke in the first place?

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
has it had a head done recently? maybe the people that did it didnt re-set the chain tensioner properly, allowing the chain to thrash around? or maybe the tensioner just died a natural death somehow? are the guides ok or are they mangled from the chain?

thats pretty bad luck i reckon!!! it has to have busted a few valves too - i hope the owner has a lot of spare cash!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes the guides are all snapped in 1/2, valves have been bent and its getting sent away for a rebuild, but iam not sure about the head, what if the head is still orginal what would cause the chain to snap soo soon and is it commen to happen on a car with low km's like that

·
Birth, Drift, Death...
3,039 Posts
i have absolutely no idea why it would have happened, if all the guides and tensioner were working properly, then in theory there would be no reason for it to break, unless the chain itself had a manufacturing defect. if a guide was loose or the tensioner was buggered then the slapping action of the chain might have contributed to its early demise.

i have never heard of a timing chain snapping on an I6 before.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My friend's grandmother's Daewoo snapped the camshaft in 1/2. The car was clearly not serviced regularly and the oil was like tar. Was the falcon regularly serviced and was the oil still good??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts