Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Pirelli SuperSports, because I suck and live somewhere warm. :D

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Probe Owner
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I AM defiantely getting snow tires, pirellis hate snow. I am trying to decide on a size which in turn will help me decide between either the Blizzak MZ 02 or WS 50. They are both ~$85 f/ tire rack and come in different sizes.

I was thinking about going with 205/60/16s, would this be a good size for our cars? The other option is 215/60/16s. I know you want to go narrower for weight purposes. I was thinking the 205s, anyone have any opinions?

Thanks

walter

·
Probe Owner
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone????

G

·
I just put my "snow tires" on my car for the winter. They are 205-55-16 dunlop d60a2's on my stock GT wheels. I went with these because they are nearly the same size as the stock 225-50-16's. I am not sure if the 205's or 215's in a 60 series will fit without rubbing on the front struts. They might be too tall compared to 205-55-16.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the 60's are going to be too thick for you, it will throw the diameter of the tire off by about 130mm, that would make you speedo about 6% off. I would actually suggest some 195's, they should be sufficient for the probe.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Snow tires? We don't need no stinkin snow tires!

Here in SpoCompton, I've yet to use dem snow tires, ever, and we get a hella lot of snow here.

I just got pretty comfortable driving without them I guess...who needs to go over 30 in the snow anyways?

·
Probe Owner
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI I bought some

205/55/16 Dunlop Winter Sport M2s :-D

And Im gettin em because I had squirming around everywhere, I don't want to worry about sliding off the road wrecking my car or hurting anyone thats with me. And it happens.

·
Probe GT Member
6 Posts
Probe2c helped me out on this one. You can step up to a 205/60/16 but if you try the 215/60/16 you will start rubbing. I just bought the Blizzak MZ-01 in the 225/50-16 size. Online tests confirm that these are the best for icy conditions. Check out the MZ-01's on tirerack. They are reasonable at $124 a piece and look sporty as hell.

·
Probe GT Member
19 Posts
yeah my car slide on 2 inch snow and i hit a street sign ..... :( My front bumper fell off . lol

·
Probe GT Member
19 Posts
But anyone know any winter tires for around 70-90 $$ ?? i just want 2 for the front tires

·
Probe Owner
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 tires would be a very piss poor idea. The front and back would have completely different characteristics making the car very unpredictable.

You will do alot of swing your tail out if you try that, ALOT! the front tires will grip and the back end will just fly around, every time. Don't do it.

The Blizzak MZ02s are only $84 ea.

·
Probe LX Member
8 Posts
Don't get your tires at tirerack.com if you want the Blizzak MZ-01 go to Discount Tire and get them. I checked into it and for four tires mounted and balanced its around 589.00 out the door. Try getting that kind of a deal anywhere else. I doubt you can.

·
Probe Owner
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I called about 10 shops, and checked tire rack. Even w/ mounting and balancing, plus free change over in the spring, plus road hazzard for tires I didn't even buy from them, it was cheaper to get them from tire track. It would have had to be more than $50/tire to mount/balance to make buying them local cheaper.

Its probably different everywhere. Depends on who you have around, and I checked w/ town fair and they were more expensive. Do your own homework price wise I guess.

Walter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts