Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
im real close to purchasing my next car, and i kinda have my heart set on the BA XR8 right now, so im just wondering what you XR8 owners out there think of your beasts??

How are they in peformance mode?? Do they really get hammered by the SS?
(not that it really matters).

Has anyone bettered the 14.3 q/mile that motor have got?

How do they respond to mods??

Any major build quality issues??

Anyway, any info good and bad would be appreciated, i allmost positive ill get one but i just want to make sure:) The only other cars im looking at are the WRX and possibly the XR6T (both considered due to the lower price).

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
97 Posts
ozzyjim said:
Hi all,
im real close to purchasing my next car, and i kinda have my heart set on the BA XR8 right now, so im just wondering what you XR8 owners out there think of your beasts??

Where I live no SS Commodore has tried me on. They just stare. :)

Some say they have, but I'm not sure if their cars have mods.

Good by all accounts. Personally I've not felt the need for more power then what comes stock. There is an art to learning how to get the most from the stock car and that keeps me entertained.

Brake shudder seems the most common complaint. It's real and Ford have a pretty dodgy fix for it. Looks like they are happy to leave a real fix for the problem until series 2. Other then that, its a bit of luck of the draw. My car has had one door side protection molding come loose, the clutch pedal rubber fell off as well - both trivial. Longer term issues are the start of the shudder problem with the brakes and a slight vibration noise in third gear on my manual transmission XR8. The transmission noise doesnt bother me, but others report it can be better or worse depending your luck. The brake problem does annoy me and more so for lack of a decent fix from Ford.

Anyway, any info good and bad would be appreciated, i allmost positive ill get one but i just want to make sure:) The only other cars im looking at are the WRX and possibly the XR6T (both considered due to the lower price).

Good
Lovely V8 noise.
Solid car (mines been on long trips fully loaded and dirt roads)
Light years better than previous model Falcons.
Handling is brilliant. There will be some here who will go on about the XR8 being nose heavy. Just adjust your driving and it isnt a problem. Easy trade off for the V8 sound and bonnet bulge in my book.
Gear box is remarkably smooth for the amount of torque it has to deal with (the XR8 manual box is different to the XR6 BTW)
Good headlights (slightly worse then AU, but much better then any other Falcon before that)
Back end doesnt have a mind of it's own in mid corner any more.
Ride quality. It really rides better then my EL Future with standard suspension.
Much improved tactile feedback to all controls. This raises the enjoyment of the car, the more you drive it.
Good standard equipment list.
All controls and gear stick are closer to driver. Don't need to reach across the car for any controls anymore, like you did with older model Falcons.
The BA's in general are the best drivers cars Ford has made locally.
Reasonable fuel economy in the country (different story for city driving).

Bad
Average quality of some interior trims.
Brake shudder.
Some driveline shunt in manual cars.
Usual ommissions from the standard equipment list to leave somewhere to go with series 2.
Doesnt really have a clearly defined market. Stuck between XR6T that matches it for performance and features and is cheaper and GT with all the look at me stuff for around 10K more.

Overall
Great first effort for Ford. I'm certainly in no hurry to trade her in. Buy if you can get a good discount, otherwise hold off for series 2 and enjoy the fixes and extra refinements that car is bound to have.

Whichever way you decide to go with your purchase decision, you will end up with a great car. All the BA's represent a big leap forward for Ford.

Regards,
Daniel
(August 03 build BA XR8)

·
BA XR8
448 Posts
ozzyjim said:
Hi all,

Cheers
Jim

"Brake shudder.
Some driveline shunt in manual cars."

Well, I've had none of that. I had a small software glitch that was quickly and easily fixed by the dealer, and since then nothing else about the car I've been able to complain about.

The car rides smooth, no body roll like Commodore's, rumbles like a beast, and looks like one too.

In my opersonal opinion, even though the 6T has the power under the hood, it doesn't have the presence of the 8. The GT I don't know about, because I like the XR8 more than it. I have had the car modded with a chip, so it's run up to 290 now. Awesome, awesome.

So in summary, rockin' beast, excellent driving, and no problems.

(01/Feb/03 BA XR8)

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
The BA XR8s are an awesome car. I swapped the rotors and pads right after purchase so as not to experience the shudder. I do get the driveline shunt, which is the main thing that lets it down in the manual, though it doesn't outwieght how great it is to drive. Mine has the usual mods of lowering and a better air filter, they are good to do. Fuel economy is not bad around town considering what it is, I certainly wasn't looking for fuel economy when I got it, power was the consideration, and there is plenty there. The 6T wasn't even looked at, the 8 with the bulge was the only way to go, and yes, great road presence.

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
What can I say?

ITS AWESOME!!!

power, bulge, room to move, and more looks than Kylie Minogue!! What more could you want! OH, and 12l per 100k on a trip................YAY!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guy's, i totally understande the "presence" part, it just looks so good and sounds horn!!! Im only considering the other 2 for financial reasons, But at this point i still cant get the XR8 out of my head:)

Also, are there any vids/mpegs of these/your beasts getting around? Ive got a heap of 6T ones but cannot find any of the XR8:(

Anyway, keep the replies up:)

Cheers
Jim

·
FFing Festive
597 Posts
ozzyjim said:
Thanks for the replies guy's, i totally understande the "presence" part, it just looks so good and sounds horn!!! Im only considering the other 2 for financial reasons, But at this point i still cant get the XR8 out of my head:)

Also, are there any vids/mpegs of these/your beasts getting around? Ive got a heap of 6T ones but cannot find any of the XR8:(

Anyway, keep the replies up:)

Cheers
Jim
Hi Jim,

All of what's been said before me is pretty right. I have brake shudder (see avatar) otherwise the only drama was not being able to open the tailgate (internal fastener came loose). Tailgate's OK, will be fixing the shudder soon (and the avatar, people are getting spun out). Yes there is some trim that's less than beautiful but nothing that upsets me when I look at it.

The Boss engine is fantastic, screw the points of seconds that some "other" vehicles have over the XR8 because the engine note and performance gets me every time. ANY chance to give a blast. I love being up front at lights as I can give it a real kick. I've got 12,000 on the clock now and it's still surprising me with better and better performance, a combination of the engine loosening up and me getting to know the sweet spots. The Auto box is great and I really have little need to run it in Perf. or Manual mode. It shifts so sweetly and predictably that you can really have fun in standard mode (and use less fuel too).

Unlike many others here on FF I can't yet justify the money for mods (I went from looking at an XR6 Ute to getting the 8 with lots of options and have broken the budget), and it sounds like you might be in that boat too. Anyway I decided early on to let the machine fully "mature" before modding it. That way it also makes it clear what the mods have actually done for you versus the full potential of the factory job. If I'm getting bored with it after 20,000k's then I might look at something to pep it up. For me the whole point of getting a modern performance vehicle was so I didn't have to dick around with things.

As for a vid, took some footage yesterday which would have said it all but realised that I didn't have the software to transfer it from camera to PC. Will keep trying!

Be a devil, go for it! 4000revs and the indecision will vanish:dev2:

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
I love it.

I haven't had it long enough (only got it last week... Feb 04 build) to give you a real good gauge, but it has exceeded all my expectation so far. My car has had no issues so far including the driveline shunt or the dreaded shutter, and every time I drive it, it just gets more responsive and progressive.

They are a little quiet when idling especially new, but the sound influenced by the right foot is nothing short of thunderous. This car turns heads like there’s no tomorrow and when I drive it, even slowly I feel like nothing can touch me.

And lastly if you ever get a chance to play with an SS across the hillside (reasonably safely), you will soon realise that when on song these cars can hold their own completely. On top of this, imagine the sound of a BOSS V8 echoing off the mountain walls while being punted in 2nd gear as the needle points north.

This would have to be the best ‘stock’ car I have ever had.

Did I mention I love it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This just keeps getting better, you guy's should be salesmen as you have all sold me:)

>>As for a vid, took some footage yesterday which would have said it all but >>realised that I didn't have the software to transfer it from camera to PC. >>Will keep trying!

Keep trying mate!! Sounds good:)

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Jim

I'd like to put my hand up for the BA XR8... its a gem. I'm a fussy bugger, and it has exceeded all my expectations. I read some of the negative posts and wonder, am I seeing my ute through rose coloured glasses? Nope... I've had some minor issues as front end alignment, tailgate and a door trim. But the rest... it's not perfect... for me and what I use it for... it's so damn close.

Mine is primarily a work ute... it is used every day for deliveries and 4 weekly commutes over 120km, it is equally at home carrying the surfboard and dog (wet and smelly) to and from the beach. Or, give it a wash and it's a weekend cruise/tour/fanger.

It looks great, the styling matches it's character. That bulge... you don't need to read the badges. I still stop and give it the 30 second look... It has road presence. Mine is absolutely filthy at the moment... but it still looks fantastic. The leather trim is up there with the best I've owned. I've had no brake shudder, no excess oil usage. My Boss engine is a pearl. It's a real sweet peach. And the sequential auto... for my driving... is spot on.

The engine gets better and better, mines got nearly 7,000 kms now. It improves with every run. I am now positive it will continue to get better for many kms to come. I've never spun my tyres deliberately, but I find with 7,000 on both engine and tyres... I am doing it from time to time... I should say I am all grown up and it's a bad thing... but ha ha... I fugging love it!!!

The decision to own these type of cars are hard to justify in the cold light of day, it's an emotional thing... it's difficult to describe the feeling... but perhaps this helps... life's is just too damn short to not get what you want!!!

Mate you deserve to be happy... and if this makes you happy... do it. I can only speak for myself here, but I have a hunch a lot of others feel it too, the guilt of buying what you want over what you should have is soon forgotten. Do I miss my AU I 1 tonner... lol

Jase

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
It would be interesting see if the feeling would get even better with the BA2 XR8. I would love to even drive one of these let alone own one. But finances speak otherwise when it comes to it. I still have setimental feelings toward my old beast but none too short than to own a BA!:hehe:

·
Registered
48 Posts
pround owner of an XR8 and OMG it is the best freakin' car out there on the road. As for the SS's beating it, in their dreams! My baby is stock standard and havent had one beat me yet. Had plenty who want to try (being a female and all), but nothing, i repeat nothing, passes by baby. Oh and one more thing to persuade you to buy an XR8.........................the bulge............enough said.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
Its interesting to see a girl liking the front bulge!!! :hehe:

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
I think the XR8 is better than what we are lead to believe in the mag comparo's. My ute has just done 20,000km's, and the amount it has loosened up is great. It does have a bit of lag down low, but this gets better with km's travelled. I thiunk it's also a characteristic of DOHC engines.

It's not bad on fuel when u want it to be, i got over 700km out of mine. The quality of mine is great, only dent in this was a brake shudder issue which i got done at around 10,000 and hasnt come back. The engine responds well to induction mods, and is a real head turner!

On the road, i think it would be even stock with an XR6T and an SS. When mine was stock it had no dramas keeping even with either, the mags may get an extra poofteenths out of the SS and the T but in the real world it's the driver on the day and how much you like it that really matters!

·
GO THE BOSS
21 Posts
my xr8 is a beautiful car to drive but if i were you i would wait until series 2 comes in november. i have had a few problem with my car but the are fixed now. i hope nothing else go's wrong with it!

·
FF Town Sheriff
1,165 Posts
I've done 10,000 k's and all is sweet - my biggest drama is it needs a massive run - 15 mins to work and same in return at 40k/h just doesn't seem to cut it.

one day I might get into 2nd gear.

·
Team Galaxy: Mad Bastard
2,847 Posts
I have a 1:18 BA XR8 in Blueprint...and mannn....it's one helluva hot piece of machinery!!!!

Alrighty, now bash me for being a smart arse.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My wife bought me a Phantom XR-8 1:18 model last week, and it's ****ing grouse. Even the glove box and console lid opens and closes.

Tomorrow we pick up the real thing, Phantom, Big Brakes, Leather and premium sound. Yeh Baby!

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
I'm still lovin my Phantom XR8. Had it one year and two days...I better put that new rego sticker on!
Only done 8900k, but loved every minute of it. The grunt, the noise, the bulge!
Only drama I had was very noisy power steering pump, which was promptly replaced under warranty. Haven't had any brake troubles as yet, but that might be due to relative lack of k's on the clock.
Mostly highway stuff, it see's under 10L/100k often, when not prodding it to hear that beautiful noise. It's just been a wedding car for the second time. Makes you feel good when some people are looking at your car more so than the bride!
Haven't modded mine yet, but the time will come.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts