Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who haven't already heard me say it I've been trying to get myself into a new BA XR8 ute for some time, & now that I have a second job the prospects are looking pretty good. But it has occured to me that everytime I mention to someone that I'm looking to buy a ute they need to know why. What are you going to use it for? I didn't think you were a builder? You don't ride bikes so what are you gonna carry in the back? I've heard it all!!! I have now grown curious as to whether there is anyone else out there you has bought a ute for reasons similar to mine, these being:

A. A ute is far more affordable than a sedan. It's not that I wouldn't have a sedan, I like being able to carry people in the back. Roadtrip!!!!

B. The utes look awesome, not that the sedans don't look good, but the shape of a performance ute has always appealed to me & I've yet to own one.

C. It's gonna be handy to be able to put the odd thing in the back provided I don't hurt the ute in anyway. I'm a big fan of the liners Ford puts in the back of them these days.

D. Did I mention they are more affordable!!!!!!!! Hell a leather interior even costs half as much cos there's only two seats to cover!!!!

So what's your reasons for a ute people?

·
More horsepower required
612 Posts
Being an electrician , having a place to put my lockup box is important , and carry a ladder when needed . The ute serves this purpose perfectly and has plenty more room for anything else thats needed e.g a 60kg bullmastiff

·
walking power
3,035 Posts
My girlfriend keeps telling me we should get a sedan and even since i've quit my trade i dont really need one but im still gonna get one. The way i see it is that they are a 2 door sports car like a Honda or something, with the benefit of sticking something in the back and like you said before they are cheaper. And who cares what other people say buy what YOU want.

·
BluePrint Bandit
149 Posts
I got mine because i need to carry some tools, pick up materials and its very handy when going away for a few days. I do agree with you that my personal choice would be a ute anyway, even if carrying things was not required.

Just do it, they are so sexy;) and not to mention fun with the LSD;) ooh, and chicks love utes;)

cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
You'll find when you get a ute friends will spring up from everywhere. "Hey, can you give me a hand to pick this up?" and "Would you mind taking this to there?"

Of course, it can get a bit tiresome, but it's nice to be popular ...... even if it's for the wrong reason.

Plus, sedans are like arsholes...... everyone's got one. Utes look different on the road, and as mentioned by r00na above, the tail-action is great fun.

I got mine for those reasons, plus I had plenty of yard work to do around the house where the ute comes in real handy. The only problem is, the yard is almost done and I've now got 2 ankle biters, so the next car will most likely be a sedan.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Im a tiler so thata the main reason why i bought a ute .But i cant afford to run 3 cars.My wife has a car and i need a work car and I want a hotrod at the same time.So i cant have a car for my wife a work bus and a BA XR8 sedan all at once.So the Xr8 ute is a reall winner.Now owning it I think its wicked.To me it looks better than a sedan ,I dont know why but it does and its some 10 K cheaper and its very practical.

·
blue blooded
278 Posts
looking for woman .... with no kids

·
APS Phase 3 Ute
262 Posts
-Only one person "bums" a ride at a time.

-Extra money saved on sedan put into APS kit so my ute is faster than most of the sedans and STILL cost less!

-No traction control!

-can put my bike in the back.

-AC and heater work twice as quick coz of small cabin.

And they just look better! IMHO

·
Mercury Cougar Cool
205 Posts
with 2 convertibles and 4 coupes - what next but a ute

·
Registered
695 Posts
- Cheaper
- Holds its value better
- I'm 24 with no family so don't need a sedan
- and last but not least...make sure my girlfriends don't even think about having babies....

·
fpv pursuit no 255
386 Posts
i was having a mid-life crisis so the best medicine for that is a black xr8 ute,and for follow up treatment a fpv-gt pursuit ute is recommended :hippy:

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
i love the style of a ute, since i was 17yo i wanted one, then came i family now 20 years later my son 20yo left home daughter 17yo dont hang aroung with dad and my wife has 2002 5 door hyundai, then came the BA XR8 JUST HAD TO HAVE ONE...

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
I'd be hard pressed to go back to a sedan now.

I agree with all the reasons above but practicality is obviously the common theme. Remember though that there are negatives:

- utes do NOT handle as well as a sedan, especially the rear end on rough/patchy roads
- NVH is far worse
- build quality and finish is worse (reality I'm afraid); falcon utes are factory fitted with rust under that bed liner

I have to say one thing though. Since getting the ute I have enjoyed a far more active lifestyle. I can at short notice load up my KTM and/or shooting gear and/or camping gear and/or whatever and make a weekend of pretty much anything. I dare you to load up the 'fresh dog meat' on the way home in your sedan......

·
Registered
244 Posts
xr8 utey said:
i was having a mid-life crisis so the best medicine for that is a black xr8 ute,and for follow up treatment a fpv-gt pursuit ute is recommended :hippy:
For what was an impulsive purchase decision on the BA XR8 Ute, I think you sum it up!

·
BluePrint Bandit
149 Posts
utes do NOT handle as well as a sedan, especially the rear end on rough/patchy roads
Aint that the truth, mine has stepped out a bit in some awkward spots with bugger all throttle.... but looking as young as me most just assume you meant it;)

cheers,
Matt

·
V8 ute driver!
984 Posts
man they are the best soundin two door spoorts car around, with a reeeeaaaalllyyy big boot!
Chuck a matteress in the back an ya can live in it!
Cus they are tough!
An cus i wanted it......Bugger what anyone else thinks/ses/reckons.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
- build quality and finish is worse (reality I'm afraid); falcon utes are factory fitted with rust under that bed liner

Rust under the bedliner......... I HOPE YOUR JOKING!!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts