Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

This may seem a ery dumb question, but i'd like to know the proper way to tighten spark plugs. What i usually do is finger tight the plug then with the socket tighten with a force that i feel confortable with ie not too tight.
Is there a rule of guide to tighten the plug with a socket, ie 1/8 turn or whatever.

Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
1/2 turn for a spark plug with gasket, another 1/16 of a turn for ones with taper seat.

G

·
0 Posts
On the subject of spark plugs....anybody know how to repair the spark plug thread on a aluminium cylinder head?

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
Yea head machine shop's fix that sort of thing,Check yellow pages

·
Registered
453 Posts
gtho4 said:
On the subject of spark plugs....anybody know how to repair the spark plug thread on a aluminium cylinder head?
You can buy a HELICOIL kit that contains a special threading tap. It has the original thread at the start (to allow you to start it straight) then steps up to a larger thread (to cut the new thread for the new helicoil insert.)
Should use grease on the thread cutting tap (so you dont get shavings of aluminium into the cylinder)
When you finish cutting the new thread, screw the new thread into the newly cut threaded hole (careful not to cross thread)
bingo ! new thread

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
I'd like to see you do it in the car though v8.

G

·
0 Posts
mbrown42 said:

You can buy a HELICOIL kit that contains a special threading tap. It has the original thread at the start (to allow you to start it straight) then steps up to a larger thread (to cut the new thread for the new helicoil insert.)
Should use grease on the thread cutting tap (so you dont get shavings of aluminium into the cylinder)
When you finish cutting the new thread, screw the new thread into the newly cut threaded hole (careful not to cross thread)
bingo ! new thread
Yep bought it and cost $130, next time I wont rush and stuff up the thread.
The tap that has the original thread is a good idea but if the thread is damaged it aint so easy to start straight as I found out but nevertheless all came good.....phew!

G

·
0 Posts
Jase_ELXR8 said:
The worst part of the job is snaping off the little tab on the insert. All in all, a piss easy job....
Actually it was quite easy just need a long nose pliers.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am not sure if this post will pop up in the recenlty threads or not cause this thread was started two months ago, but I did a search for "Helicoils".

I was wondering if anybody knows/thinks it is ok to use a helicoil on a manifold bold hole? I guess it is????? I have a 93' Cobra upper and lower manifold. one of the threads on the lower that holds the upper down has been suspicous for a long time.. I checked it today to find it won't hold over finger tight, then it pops loose.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Okay, so some of you think Helicoil is easy. Well, there's the easy quick way, and there's the proper way.

I spent quite a while working hands on as a bolt removing, thread repairing fix it life saver. Only the stuff I worked on could easily cost millions of US$ if things went wrong. The key to doing helicoils right is to use the right parts, the right tools and the right people.

Trust me, thread repairs on engine cylinder heads are being done by some bodgy operators and I've seen some who stuff up and walk away saying all care and no reponsibility. And I've seen some people try it themselves and stuff up REAL bad.

One of my ex-offsiders who is WAY GOOD and still works on Jet Engines doing just this stuff is:

SYDNEY
Mobile thread Repairs
David
0411 388121

Sorry for the plug (pardon the pun) but I can only offer good advice.

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Another point to mention....... All those using "alloy" heads....... A big must is "ANTISEIZE" on the plug threads.. Not only does it make undoing easier but it also ELIMINATES galling the threads when you loosen ya plugs!!!!!!! You have been Advised!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts