Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know pretty much jack all about speakers, so I need some advice. At the moment, I've got a Sony CDXMP50 HU that puts out 4 * 52W and as you could guess, sounds pretty crap on factory speakers. I need 4 new speakers, 2 rear that pump out crisp bass, and two front that have good tone quality. I'd prefer the sony XPLOD range, to keep it all the same. I'd like them all to fit the factory holes, use the factory wiring, and be under $250. Thanks

Donno

·
100MPH Hunter
1,045 Posts
I am pretty sure that the factory fronts are only 4", which is really hard to get anything decent for, they may be different on the ED's try and go a 6" split system which gives you a separate tweeter and them the actual speaker.

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
ED fronts are 6 inches. Watch out which ones you relplace it with as the depth of the window is fairly shallow. When I had my ED i had to put in 5.25 inch splits instead of the 6.5's cos of the window position when wound down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hay donno id just go down to the local car audio store and ask them..... just keep in mind $250 wont go to far...if you can do most of the fitting your self it will save a lot...are you planning on building it up or just going to stop at fronts and rears???

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer jeffrey2184au, but i'm not in the market quite yet, probably another month, I've still got to get a replacement harmonic ballencer, plus my pinstipe has to be redone, like 400 bucks worth (few smaller things too). Then another grand on a lukey system, thankfully I've got work. I asked a mate who had 6*9's in his commie and he said it fitted all in the orriginal 6" holes. Is this true, cause i'd love that sort of base, but not sub.

·
Registered
237 Posts
yes thay will fit with a spacer and u can have the 6x9's for $80 with out the sub if u like

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe in a month or so, at the moment, I want to get those other things done. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Donno

·
Registered
271 Posts
definately get splits mate. and usualy 6.5" are shallower because the magnet is wider i have found. easy to fit and if the factory hole is 6" then not much cutting will be needed or fit a 6mm mdf spacer coz there is lotsa room behind the trim. i wouldnt limit yourself to sony either, no need to and i have found it quite expensive for what you get.

·
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo
1,087 Posts
What is everyones opinion on splits in the rear shelf for rear fill?

·
Registered
46 Posts
i think that rear splits are a good idea. it just depends on your listening style. not every speaker setup is going to suit everyone and its just a personal taste thing. and these days most good h/u (all h/u) have front and rear outputs so why not use them. as joel said before dont limit yourself to sony there are plenty of speakers to chose from. try and go for splits they may be abit more dear but well worth it.

graham

·
Sandwich Connoisseur
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another quick thing, are components the same as splits?

·
Registered
46 Posts
yeah they are.

·
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo
1,087 Posts
Sweet as, thanx for that info

·
Registered
102 Posts
splits are ideal in the front but in the rear u wont hear them!!!! a soft dome tweeter will give a softer treble response not as harsh as a titanium dome tweeter so look for one of those another thing just get coaxial 6.5 inch for the rear and get a sub later on. NO good in having 6x9's in ur gonna get a sub later on. also that xplod deck is more like 22X4rms so look for a speaker that accepts around that figure unless ur gonna amplify them later on and finally dont get xplod speakers its ok to mix n match brands. sony decks are ok but the speakers are crap for ur budget u should be looking at some jaycars, neway thats my two cents

·
4.1 XFLOW EFi Turbo
1,087 Posts
Can i get everyones advice for speakers for the XF. For the fronts im running splits and im running 2 12 inch JL Audio subs, what would be good rear fill?

·
Registered
309 Posts
just try some cheapo pioneers, get them for around 140, same ones as mine, they are great for rear fill, i have a 12" sub and goes together nicely, dont spend up big in the rear, u need around 300-500 for a good quality front stage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i certainly hear my rear speakers.....then again they are right near my kidneys.....hehe.
xf6250 i think that you want rear speakers....... no matter what everone else says. having font splits and a sub in a rather large car hmmmmm got to be considerate of your passengers right? spose it is rather piontless having a large parcel shelf and nothing in it. id go for a simple set of splits maybe the same as the fronts. just turn the bias to the front abit more....sloves that problem. having rear speakers has more than one advantage, that you wont have to have ur sub on all the time and still have decent sound. its all up to the person who has to listen to it all the time.

graham

1 - 20 of 22 Posts