·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
5x7 inch front and back i believe...

·
Learning The Unknown
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are oval and thanks for your help i been looking all over the place and through the manual and couldnt find it

·
Focus user
287 Posts
wow that is bizarre. i just figured they'd be 5 or 6 inch round. 5x7 ya reckon. i haven't been able to pry the covers off to have a look. who makes 5x7 speakers these days? i have a feeling eclipse does...or maybe i'm thinkin of somebody else. oh well.

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
I've replaced mine with a number of different sizes, (5x7 and heaps of 6" models using a custom mounting plate so as not to alter the factory locations) and I couldn't improve on the Factory speakers; perhaps a different head unit, some amps and component speaker package will be what is required without going silly.
I've also figured that a 12" sub can easily be fitted in the hatch on the driver side without losing boot space!

·
Focus user
287 Posts
yea thats why i haven't touched mine. they sound really good. i don't wanna change the head unit cos i don't want to lose the steering column controls as i use them all the time. but maybe if the standard hu has the capacity i might add a amp or two with a sub. maybe....if i can be bothered. im pretty happy with the way it sounds now to be honest.

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
Audio being a pet interest of mine, I have pulled out my HU a number of times, once to install a 6 stacker coz the stock HU is compatible with a stacker.... even works off the remote and it's AWESOME. As for amps, you'd have to use some of the 4 channels already amplified by the HU as there are no amp pre-outs, but that's cool. You'd get a little more noise on an amplified signal if you used the HU channels as they are already amplified somewhat, so you'd just disconnect ur rears, plug in a bridge to the amp input (2 channels in) then amplify them and bridge them out into whatever you wish, say 2 channels back to the rear doors and 2 channels in to subs or some 6x9's on the parcel shelf. Sky's the limit really.

Covers on the front door can't be removed, you're looking at removing the whole doorskin, not too hard but a pain in the ass. As for the rear covers, again it's the whole side moulding and that is an even bigger job. Not impossible but I couldn't be bothered.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
hrmmm was thinking of changing the stereo as well, but after reading this i think i will just leave it how it is, might do what you suggest Zetec and chuck an amp in later and a sub or 2.... but the rest sounds awesome as it is, even the HU 6 stack works great, and i am not a fan of stackers at all.

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
If I had a wish list, and Ford would read it, I would ask for an MP3 compatible HU.
That, (and a 12" Sub) would make my day!
Fordel, I'm with you, the Factory setup is really good, much better than anything else in its class, so almost all of us will leave it as it is!

·
the fOCUS Family
56 Posts
yep the standard setup is pretty good already. i had quite a few people asking me if i had changed the speaker because they think it sounded really good.. that's said it all. though it will be great if it can also play mp3...

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
when you get asked where the subs are... that's when you know it's a decent stock system... :D I love mine, for what I use it for it'll doof doof all day or play opera or the blues. I love it. For my needs it's perfect. With the stacker there's not a thing I'd change.

·
Learning The Unknown
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont think the speakers are all that great personally. It may be that i always change my speakers to a better quality. Where can i find the mounting plates for the speakers or did you make them yourself. If it is possible i would like to put some pioneer 5 - way speakers in the back and front if they will fit. But the would be 6 X 9's so i dont know if it will fit properly, with out geting in the way of anything else.

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
6x9 won't fit unless you cut your panels with tin snips, and the door trims will easily fit back over the mods. The locations have pleanty of depth and heaps of clearance from other bits inside so you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Wouldnt try to do that myself, would rather have a " professional " install it, at least you can then blame them if something goes wrong with with the doors...

·
2,922 Posts
I have found that 'professionals' do a worse job than I do... a previous car done at a certain car audio shop was terrible when I had to remove a door trim for trouble shooting.

I'm with Alien Spade - the sound is good (better than any other car I have owned until I have gone aftermarket), but even my brothers 2001 KQ Laser's standard sound system is better, by a fair shot. I think a good pair of splits with their own pre-amp up the front, and a nice little amp and sub for some depth in sound would be great. I am not sure if the standard head unit comes with RCA outputs though... and I don't particularly want to pull it out to find out, so if anyone else does, please let me know!

Thanks... Tim

·
3dr zeTEC
222 Posts
No RCA outlets from the focus HU. I believe that there is a 1Vpp output incorporated in the wiring cluster but I'm not sure

·
Zetec Is Better Than VTEC
184 Posts
might be a stupid question but anyway..... if you change the head unit can you still use the remote on the steering colum?

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
don't think so, although it's worth checking. I doubt it, most HU's are only built to take their own remotes. As for Tim, read back earlier and I stated that there are no RCA pre-outs ;)

Cheers,
Matt

1 - 20 of 41 Posts