Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many would be interested in attending one of our next meets at Irwindale Speedway? The prices listed aren't very high 'depending on the evening's event, prices start at $25 per person, minimum of 24 persons, for a catered dinner under a canopy in the Chalet Village'.

I personally would love to go, and seeing that it's located between LA and Orange county, it should be convinient for all. And of course all would be welcome.

Comments, pros, cons or concerns?

Attachments

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As in spin me around?? My insurance would love that one!! We could do a timed lap session. It has two tracks, an inner and an outer run. All I know is that I'm tired of hearing about other clubs that get together and race. We need to get together and form a stronger bond in something we all enjoy, our cars!:wink2:

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
Count me in. That place is cool. I can almost certainly talk another Probe into coming (the new PSE owner), and perhaps some passengers...

The $25 price is a steal, their regular prices range from $15-$35 plus parking depending on what series is running that night.

We'll HAVE to have someone willing to sit in the stands & take lots of pics. :D

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
no, that's not a bad price.

i'm interested in seeing about having a race day for us there. this would help getting a regional or statewide probe meet and exposure for our club if we host it. ;)

if neither gil nor chris can find out something, i live close enough to them. i can drop by and see what information i can find out.

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we have two choices. We can take the parade lap prior to a race and have dinner in the mix of the crowd where we would have a buffet, or we can actually rent the track for ourselves and do as Damon suggests, a regional or state meet. I would prefer the race meet.

Unfortunately the only guy who does the rentals is a guy by the name of Chris Morgan. He is very busy, too busy to return my calls. I think if several people call him it would be better then if one person calls him. The number is 626-358-1100. That way if any of us reach him we can get all the info.

The biggest question would be scheduling. I may be wrong but I think that they rent for the evening, like after for 4pm until 10pm. If we are to make this happen we need to find out which day we would have the most participants vs. the tracks availability.

I'm open to either Sat. or Sun. What about you all?

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
From what I understand their price covers the food, parade laps (I think you get 3-4), and admission for the races that night. Just admission is $15-35 depending on which series is there.

I doubt we can rent on Sat. evening, that's when they run the regular races & I have a schedule right here covering 52 weekends for the year.

I could go for either. I'll try calling early next week to bug them.

S

·
0 Posts
That idea is:rocking: :rocking: :rocking: . I wish i thought of it:rolleyes:
Keep us posted I might have to drive 6 hours to hook it up with you guys:D( if I ever fix those :cussing: :cussing: motor mounts)

·
POC Mod/Probe GT Member
84 Posts
I have yet to come down to LA for a meet with SCPOC so keep us all posted. If it's a Saturday or Sunday then I'll have to ride down there.:thumbup: :cool:

·
SCPOC/Probe SE Member
15 Posts
PROS:
The price sounds good...
chillin' with some Probe friends always sounds good...
the idea of dinner & racing sounds pretty novel...I'll try it...
the location seems pretty central to OC & LA folks...

CONS:
Only complaint I have it it's an oval track (boring...not too exciting driving around in circles)

Bottom line is I'll go! Sunday evening is best for me.

·
SCPOC/Probe GTS Member
58 Posts
Well, yah, an oval track is not as challenging to an autox'er, but it's still more entertaining than a 1/4mile strip. Besides, a speedway like this will let you hit top speeds you'll never see at an autocross. (But if we're only doing parade laps, that's academic. If we actually got some real racing track time, it could still be a lot of fun, a lot of adrenaline...)

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have been unsuccesful in contacting this guy! I've left numerous messages with numbers to reach me. Sometimes I call and they say he's in a meeting, so I call about 30mins. later and then he's gone for the day.

I'm open to solutions, help or new suggestions.

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
Good News!!

I called them earlier today & just got off the phone! Here's the scoop:

They would like to see a minumum of 10 cars, but can work with us if there's fewer (the club I saw had around 6 show up). They can handle up to 25 cars. You pay a regular admission per car--that means if there's passengers, you divide the regular admission.

The deal is twice by the start/finish. Track in is on the back straight, track out is just before turn one, so it's around 1-3/4 laps. We go on track before the anthem just before the first race (BUT, see below). After that, we can stay to watch the races.

They would like to have a club spokesperson to talk while we're on the track (this unforunate soul would not get to drive...), and/or a short write-up about the club. Failing that, Bruce Flanders will make up stuff (again. the club I saw didn't provide anything, so Bruce was on his own).

For money, they request that we have someone collect all the admission money & give it to them so their coordinator doesn't have to chase down the drivers.

Now, there's only a few dates available, some of which would be shared dates with other clubs. They are: August 4 (sahred w/ Classic Muscle Cars), September 1st (early night), 8th (early night), 15th (shared w/ Santa Clarita Street Rods), October 13th, 20th, November 3rd, 17th, and Thanksgiving.

The early nights they run a truck race before the anthem, so I think we'd go on between the rach & anthem. he mentioned that there's a possibility we would be lining up during the race (this means we would be next to the track while they're running--corner worker view!).

I need to call back for track rental info, that's someone else.

So, who can make it when? Looks like we'll need to get in gear to get a night this year!

S

·
0 Posts
I should be able to make any of the September Dates but flexable with all of the dates but Thanksgiving;)

·
SCPOC/Probe SE Member
15 Posts
I'm not sure I got things straight here. So Chris all this info you just gave was for doing 1 3/4 parade laps? Is that right? and we have to pay??? Does this include the dinner?

·
Just some guy...
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lino Sacman said:
I'm not sure I got things straight here. So Chris all this info you just gave was for doing 1 3/4 parade laps? Is that right? and we have to pay??? Does this include the dinner?

Yes. It's a parade lap and dinner. The info I was trying to get was on actually renting the track by the hour for a group run. they run the rentals during the weekday evenings.

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
Yes, what we get is:

1. A tent to display our cars
2. I believe a catered dinner
3. The parade laps
4. Admission to watch the evening's races

What we pay is one admission ticket per car, so if you pack the car with 3 passengers, you pay 1/4 of a regular admission. There's no parking fee.

It's a pretty good deal, prices run from $15-$35 depending on what series is running on that night. I'll double-check the open nights & repost all that info.

I need to call back about the track rental this week--that guy was already gone when I got through.

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
this sounds great chris!

i would look forward to doing this on sept. 8, and it could be our official meet for september. i could put together an information sheet for the track announcer and we could nominate someone to share the information during the announcements.

the tent/catering is also good. this would be pretty decent exposure for the club and hopefully some people in the audience that night would know someone with a probe and direct them toward us!

good job.

·
SCPOC/Probe GT Member
238 Posts
OK, here's the info I have:

Date $$
Sept 1 $25
Sept 8 $15
Oct 13 $15
Oct 20 $15
Nov 3 $15
Nov 17 $??
Nov 22 $30

Also, dates that would be shared with another club:

Aug 4 $15
Sept 15 $15

Keep in mind these are all Saturday nights--except Nov 22. That's when the track runs it's regualr events. I like the Sept 8 date myself (have to double-check with the wife to make sure I'm not forgetting something tho...). For me, Oct 13 sucks, I hope to be at Laguna Seca that day.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts