1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 focus spi been sitting for 5 years
I have NO first gear.
When I put the trans in first gear it just revs like its in neutral
starts off in 2 gear,,, but it works fantastic otherwise!
i have all the gears, overdrive, torque converter locks up fine; just no first gear.
Any hints would be appreciated.
Can I put some transmission in a can in it?
If So what kind?
I changed the shift solenoids from a know good tranny; well, the ones on the passenger side.
I couldnt get the other ones out.
2 small ones and one large one.
Thanks mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
I’d start by checking the fluid level. Does it smell or look burnt? Why was the car parked?

Have a helper shift through all the detents as you watch what’s going on at the trans. Does everything shift ok, and can you tell if the detents in the shifter match the detents in the trans?

You might try shifting it into First, then take the cable loose and give the linkage on the trans a shake to be sure it did go in to the First gear detent, although on my wife’s ‘08 getting to the shifter cable is difficult.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks; Im gonna change the valve body; complete with solenoids from a known good transmission.
Apparently; its not that difficult. The trans works great; no slipping, good positive shifts. Im hoping that the solenoids were bad OR maybe there
was some POO in the valve body,,,
wish me luck
mike

·
Registered
124 Posts
TransGo makes a kit for the 4F27e transaxle that you might consider.
I’ve had very good luck with these shift kits. They do what they promise in the handful of transaxles I’ve put them in.

Winters are cold where I live, and the 2001 Montana we had wouldn’t go into Reverse until the trans warmed up a little. Common on those GM 4T65e transaxles. The TransGo kit took care of that. Oversized seal on the piston for Reverse, IIRC.

Edit: I haven’t used their kit for the 4F27e yet, although I’m planning to put one in my wife’s ‘08 next year. If you decide to try it, let us know how it goes.

You can find a PDF of the installation instructions on that page.

·
Super Moderator
1,448 Posts
My bet is a sticky valve body. I’ve used seafoam transtune in my old 98 p71 that had no 2nd gear. After a few miles it had 2nd again for the next couple of years I drove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,592 Posts
Good advice from Dan in Wa about checking the shift cable first before getting too involved .Could maybe update the forum on the outcome whatever you decide to do ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts