Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting hit on the head, I thought enough is enough....

So at the first service I told the service manager, who said she will
have a look.
Now at the second service I asked the question again and was told
I needed the heavy duty struts because of the weight of the Spolier.

AND AT A COST TO ME!!!

Why weren't these struts put in when the ford dealer had the spoiler
fitted prior to delivery! no one can answer.

I rang ford, who told me that I needed the struts and it will cost me.
I told them that they made the struts because of this fault/problem and
ford should cover the cost not me. They created the fault.

Anyone else have this problem!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, they refuse too

and don't seem to care if it falls and hurts anyone.

The dealer has the same attitude.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had this issue, but without having a spoiler fitted.

It took 4 seperate complaints before anything was done.
My line, unacceptable, unacceptable...........

I think 'Heavy Duty' struts are the ones that get fitted when your complaints become heavy duty, nothing to do with the actual spec.

I have heard that this is not uncommon on XR series BA's, less so on models without spoilers.

If the dealer accepted the order, supplied the goods and the result is not suitable for intended usage, they must repair it, or fix it.

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is the place to refer to.

"Goods
Under the Act the consumer is entitled to expect to enjoy quiet possession of the goods and to own the goods outright, subject to lawful restrictions made known to the consumer before purchase.

As a consumer, goods that you purchase must:

be of merchantable quality—goods have to meet a basic level of quality and performance given the price and description of the goods
be fit for the purpose—goods must do the job you made clear to the supplier you wanted them to do or that are implied from the circumstances in which you purchased the goods
match the description or sample given to you before purchase, whether through a catalogue, labelling, packaging, on a website or in person."

Go get em!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
mcalvi,

The above words "fit for the purpose" gives you the edge.

Clearly the struts supplied are NOT "fit for the purpose", that is, to keep the boot lid securely open.

Go get em 2!

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
Alternatively if they don't want to do it, ask them to remove the spoiler and repaint the boot instead...lol.

See how that goes down...

·
EF Series Fan
198 Posts
Had similar experience with Dad's EF Fairmont (weakening struts). Twas a painful experience, especially if the boot looking bit gets you.

·
I am The Brain
3,073 Posts
mcalvi said:
So at the first service I told the service manager, who said she will
have a look.
Well there's your problem then. :angel: j/k

May I ask what your car is? Is it a BA? Haven't heard of this happening at all.

·
Abuser of Charvels
909 Posts
Drummer in my band has this problem on his V6 Commodedoore with body kit. He added the spoiler which is too heavy for the standard struts but just chocks it up when using the boot, the cheapass. I thought it was quite funny.

Struts on my XR are fine, and if they weren't, Ford would know about it.

Sounds live mcalvi may have got an XT with bodykit? Is that right? Still means Ford should cover him for struts that work properly!!

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
RED_EL_XR8 said:
Remember those brock Commodores! Now they could smack a scone.
lol

I guess you mean the luggage rack / bathtub equipped group a's ? :)

I wonder if they would pull the same stunt with skirts. e.g. fit skirts, bumper falls off, "you need to order the "strong" bumper bolts - that'll be $100 please" ?

I think you have a definite case with the fair trade. If you can find the relevant doco to support your case, send a formal letter, with references to the documentation supporting your claim off to the dealer, and copy in ford HO. Don't rant and rave and make wild statements or threats, just state teh case and your planned course of action should you not be satisfied by their response (formal complaints etc). I expect the struts should arrive fairly quickly after that.

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
I know my boot struts are perfect on the XR8, but the struts that I had on my previous car were a bit weak. It was a AU Fairmont Ghia with factory (Tickford) fitted dual plane spoiler, along with the full bodykit. Anything other than fully open and the boot would come down. It was a heavy thing.

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
Rastus said:
It was a AU Fairmont Ghia with factory (Tickford) fitted dual plane spoiler, along with the full bodykit. Anything other than fully open and the boot would come down. It was a heavy thing.
lol, I can relate to that. My old AUXR8 had the duel plane spoiler and kit as well and she coped my head a few times. The biggest concern was when you shut it it really came down with a bang. I was always waiting for the boot lock to break!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rastus said:
I know my boot struts are perfect on the XR8, but the struts that I had on my previous car were a bit weak. It was a AU Fairmont Ghia with factory (Tickford) fitted dual plane spoiler, along with the full bodykit. Anything other than fully open and the boot would come down. It was a heavy thing.
Mine did the same thing to me yesterday.

And damn it hurts... :AAHHH:

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
mcalvi said:
I might be wining, they may replace the struts.

Sounds like a good sign! Are you still dealing with the dealership or did you have to go through Ford direct??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to Ford and they washed their hands,
saying that the dealer is not actually ford themselves
but a franchise.... like every other car dealership.

At the service the lady said the parts where on order....... not sure if it will happen!

·
Miss Fairmont99
1,169 Posts
The same thing happened with my grandfather's EA. The struts had been replaced once, however just before Christmas it fell on his head again.
He is now in hospital recovering from surgery to drain bleeding around his brain that was impairing his thinking, senses, and movement.
We thought it was a stroke, but the doctors said it was from a fall (he hasn't fallen, was very competent on his feet, and driving the car, even at 85yrs old).
The only other head "trauma" we can think of was the knock from the bootlid.
We were lucky, if it had been left any longer it would have killed him.
But happily, he is well on the road to recovery now...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts