Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Just finished putting together my dad's 05 f150 after we redid the timing on it. Fired it up, runs perfectly smooth and idles great. We drove it around a bit, let it heat up, drove fine.

Turned the AC on and immediately started having problems. Idle started fluctuating, it loses power, and it stalls out occasionally. Turn the AC off and after a few minutes it levels out.

First time it did it, CEL came on with code bank 2 camshaft sensor too retarded. Turned off ac, cleared code, hasn't came back on as long as the ac has been off.

Thought maybe clutch was seizing up and putting strain on the motor but it's blowing out cold air with AC on.

Any ideas?

Oh, also, we can't run without ac because somebody before us did an electric fan conversion and tied the fan on wire to the ac blower wire so it only turns the fans on when the ac is on. (looking online for a more appropriate wire to use)

·
Super Moderator
21,198 Posts
First thing I would check would be the alternator under load and battery voltage .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I would check would be the alternator under load and battery voltage .
So with it having sat for a while we went ahead and put a new battery in it just to be safe, and the battery gauge on the dash is about at the 3/4 mark, however we haven't checked using an actual voltmeter, so we can try that although aside from checking at the battery terminals specifically, I'm not sure how to check alternator load.

·
Super Moderator
21,198 Posts
Put a voltmeter across battery terminals with engine cold and not running to see what battery condition is . Then start and see what voltage reading the alternator is putting out , then see what it shows when aircon switched on and gradually a few other things like wipers , lights etc to see if it copes o.k

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car off, key out, the battery registers at around 11.8. Truck running with no accessories is about 14.2. With ac on high or heater on high, it's 13.8-14.0. Any other accessories don't change the reading.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car off, key out, the battery registers at around 11.8. Truck running with no accessories is about 14.2. With ac on high or heater on high, it's 13.8-14.0. Any other accessories don't change the reading.
Another thing I'll add is that it seems like shifting into reverse and backing up, then shifting back into drive seems to cause issues as well. Even when cold, shifting into reverse and back into drive causes the power to go low and it want to stall out.

·
Super Moderator
21,198 Posts
With that reading of battery voltage at 11.8 v , battery is only 35% charged and indicates a dud cell. .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With that reading of battery voltage at 11.8 v , battery is only 35% charged and indicates a dud cell. .
12.2-12.8 is typical full charge isn't it? So how is 11.8 (a volt less) only 35% charged? 35% of 12 volts is only about 5 volts.

·
Super Moderator
1,538 Posts
Start with the basics. You are wasting your time trouble shooting any further until you change the battery and make sure that the charging system is functioning properly. Your truck is computer controlled and computers need correct voltage to function properly.

·
Super Moderator
21,198 Posts
Start with the basics. You are wasting your time trouble shooting any further until you change the battery and make sure that the charging system is functioning properly. Your truck is computer controlled and computers need correct voltage to function properly.
Agree 100% .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts