Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's new to him(2009) sport trac xlt now shows the warning light "check brakes". It wasn't on when he bought it tuesday and we drove it home. It was owned by an elderly man. My son said when he moved the pickup in our driveway, he put the parking brake on and released it to be sure it worked and thats when he noticed the warning light come on. It stays on. The folks that sold it to us replace the brakes over the weekend so it has new brakes. I'm thinking maybe its a brake switch? My son said he checked behind the parking brake and the one behind it moves in and out, but the one for the main stopping brake seems stuck? I don't know much about mechanical things, but I've used youtube before to fix small things on my old caravan and my washer and dryer. LOL So if there is a step by step for us to find and follow, I'd appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
Depends on what they replaced , may only have been front pads / rear pads , or both .The parking brake shoes and mechanism is separate , internal to rear rotors and needs stripping down and examined for wear and any faults . Also the emergency brake cables need checking also , possibly sticking .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spoke with the neice of the deceased owner and she said they changed out the front brake pads only. Wouldn't the back ones need changing as well?

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
I'm not really sure what this means " he checked behind the parking brake and the one behind it moves in and out, but the one for the main stopping brake seems stuck? " unless he means the brake cables or calliper pistons . All depends on mileage , service history whether rear pads would need changed also , but front pads wear faster than rears . As stated , emergency brake set up completely separate from pads . You could scan it for fault codes , could be a sensor / wiring fault on replacing front pads and parking brake COULD be giving us a bum steer . You don't want to take any chances with brakes and really need it checked out , hopefully something minor .

p;s
Check brake fluid level

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took in to the shop. Said two bearings were loose/bad and wheel hun assembly needed replacing. 764.00 with labor. Then he called today to say that the ABS system or module, needs replacing or it will continue to show the ABS light on and won’t have ABS control. Wanted another 602.00 additional. Told him we’d wait on it. I didn’t have them rrr er place the wheel hun assembly but feel that was crazy expensive. He’s a teen so doesn’t need it till august to drive to school but I’m hoping to either find another place not so expensive or maybe we can do it ourselves? I know nothing about ABS.

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
Almost sure you could maybe get the hub assembly complete with the ABS sensors . if both needed , a bit cheaper than that . You could then see if that cured the problem before getting involved with the additional expense of the ABS module . Shop around and get a second opinion

1 - 6 of 6 Posts