Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GT probe squeals when I first crank it up on a cold morning, and the lights are dim and the voltage meter is low for about a minute, and gradually goes up, and the squealing subsides. Could this be a pulley/tensioner problem? My valve cover gaskets leak, and I wonder if any of the oil is falling on the belts?

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
it's possible that the oil is seeping onto the belt, but i would think it's more a matter of the belt needing to be tighted a bit. give that a shot and it should help clear up the squeal.

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
I agree with Damon. Also check the belst for cracking or glazing. It may be that if it still happens after tightening, they may need to be replaced.

·
Probe GT Member
18 Posts
Curtis2001 said:
My GT probe squeals when I first crank it up on a cold morning, and the lights are dim and the voltage meter is low for about a minute, and gradually goes up, and the squealing subsides. Could this be a pulley/tensioner problem? My valve cover gaskets leak, and I wonder if any of the oil is falling on the belts?
i can almost guarantee the tensioners are to blame. Pop the hood in the morning, and start the car, if the pulleys dont move, replace them. and DONT try driving if the tensioner seizes/ The alt/ac tensioner is a piece of cake to fix. I dont mess with timing, so i dont know how hard it is to replace the timing tensioner.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, but how do you tighten them? I've never done this before.

·
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez
681 Posts
you cannot adjust the timing belt tensioner at all, as it is an auto-adjusting mechanism.

there are two accesory belt tensioners, one above the car and one below. you can spot these by looking for the pulleys, then look directly above it for a threaded bolt with a square-ish head.

to adjust these tensioners, you must loosen the locknut. the most common mistake is to try to adjust them without first loosening the locknut. this is why most auto shops will break the bolts when trying to tighten the belt. once you've loosened the locknut, you can adjust the tension of the belt. remember that turning right will increase the tension and remember to adjust both pullies equally.

when you're done, just tighten down the locknut and you're set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts