Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Linux User
214 Posts
Read the article and I didn't think it was too bad at all. They certainly mentioned some good points about it.

I can agree with the 'why you wouldn't' of lacks straightline performance of some rivals. My stock zetec isn't the fastest thing around but how often do you need it to be? Coming in to work today I was lucky to hit 60 even on freeways......... you would almost go for a more driveable car than a drag machine. I think this says it "There's no question it's a very practical, useable engine.", but then again....maybe for the price you would want something more and i guess they are marketing it as a real sports machine....... but they have some pretty good deals right now too.

Anyway.....I'm not questioning your decision at all and hope you enjoy your alternative (for the price, the VW GTi turbo would be pretty enticing for me), but it is all a bit out of my range right now.

my 2 cents

Andrew

·
Corner Hugger
1,487 Posts
I'm getting sick of these magazines and articles being treated like God and telling us what to think. Just drive the bloody thing for yourself and then make up your own mind. Magazines provide a good reference point, but I am yet to know of a single ST170 owner who isn't totally happy and even a little too happy about how well their car handles and drives. Straightline speed is pointless and as long as a car feels like it is balanced I really don't care. Having driven one I can say they are a stunning car and I'd be very proud to own one. Cynic you are definitely living up to your name, you seem to jump at any chance to fault the car, as if you've been living at pains with the reveiwers who didn't actually say it was a little too underpowered. Yes compared to the Astra Turbo it is and Yes compared to the Corolla Sportivo it is. It's also a larger car with more room than most in the class, looks much better, has no wanker factor unlike the Astra Turbo and you'd be hard pressed to beat one through a corner literally no matter what you are driving. It's not the best car in the world, just an extremely competent one and I'm happy with that, as are evidently the people who bought them. When will people in this country finally wake up and realise that power ain't everything??!!! IF you can carry a 5-10km/h higher corner speed through a corner then you're already making up for the slightly slower acceleration out of the corner. If you want a cheap quick car get a WRX and piss off out of here. Otherwise, along with any French car, put up with out little quirky Focus, that has benefits and disadvantages like any other car. This little car still has soul, it still has character and it's still number one on my Christmas present list... after an RS.

Not Happy Ford? Well then you're mighty hard to please because the only problem I've heard is that the price is a little too high. Now that you can get an obscene discount on the car, it's pretty good bang for your buck. If we're going to get disappointed or disgusted with Ford for producing the amongst most powerful naturally aspirated 2.0l engined cars in Australia, with a reputation in Europe and the USA of an amazing little car that humbles others twice it's size, which is still the highest selling passenger car on this little planet of ours, then is it perhaps just us, the "lucky" country (spelt uncultured big fat bastards) who only like rear engined dinosaurs with rear wheel drive and more power than most trucks have ever had in the last 20 years who are being ungrateful, picky and stupid. I'm beginning to take a very French attitude to a car that is essentially very similar to years of Peugeot GTi's and hot Renaults... if you like it then welcome the league of those who do also, if not then just piss off. Doesn't get more French than that!!!

In the end the less people who like it the better. Less idiots to steal them, less idiots to drool over them and more idiots to blast on the road when they are too ignorant to realise that it's actually a pretty decent car!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I liked "Brothers" response better actually. Zetec take a chill pill.

I have driven the ST170 - I walked away uninsipired and for the cash insulted even if you keep on crapping on about "discounts" which by the way I NEVER see in the city dealers. I always hoped for more go for the dough - accelerating in this thing is quite limp even if you can hang it around a corner at break neck speed.

If you are getting sick of tired of those comments, I would also like to pipe up how sick and tired I am hearing of people like you carrying on like a pork chop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plus this should generate at least another 50 pages of responses as per usual.

Oh by the way if you would have spent high 30's for a 3 door hatch back you better bloody well love it as much as you can because if you don't you will definately look like a fool.

·
Zetec Is Better Than VTEC
184 Posts
Some one just tell ford to start importing the RS.........
I'm sure that will shutup most mags..... Allthough the TopGear review of the RS wasn't to smashing either. The thing is realisticly the focus isn't really a hardcore sports machine... Allthough the car is well ballanced and is awesome around corners not many people would choose to drive it fast. Especially someone like me who doesn't work and has no money to pay for a speeding ticket. At best its good for what it does but people shouldn't really be excpecting alot from it unless willing to fork out the cash to modify it.
And if cyn11c decides on another vehicle thats his choice....... and i hope u find something u like thats right for u mate.

·
Linux User
214 Posts
cyn11c, those discounts are real. At least they were when I was looking.......

I agree that cars are VERY personal, probably why there's a million models out there, and way too often, we take these car mag reporters too seriously. For all I know he just got out of a porsche in his previous test drive or an XR6 turbo............ I think that would make an unbiased review very hard.

I still think that overall that was a pretty positive review of the ST170 (I've seen other cars get absolutely rubbished in reviews before, and it certainly didn't happen here). Sure there is always something missing in a car that some reviewer may want or feel necessary to complain about, but then again, I doubt he was ever planning on buying one anyway or could possibly have been converted.

I agree with zetec that everyone should test drive one before they bag it.........don't take someone else's word for it. I may be biased, but with my zetec, I think I'm onto a bloody good thing........ still gets heaps of looks in traffic. One more, or one less focus on the road really doesn't worry me, I love seeing cars disappear in my rearview as I go around a corner!.

·
Linux User
214 Posts
cyn11c said:
Plus this should generate at least another 50 pages of responses as per usual.
So did you just post to provoke angry respones?? There's no need for that, but it will definitely generate some discussion as it should.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope didn't post to get angry responses. I only posted it because it was the best review I actually read about the ST170 - and I do agree with the article after having driven one.

Projekt is right - choice is personal and is right about the Focus's role - its not a performance car, and if you want to make it one a lot of dosh will come of it.

Reviews are reviews. People like them manage to drive a hell of a lot more cars than what we would ever in our lives so we can't completely rubbish them for what they write. There are sometimes I read reviews and think twice as to what angle the author of the article is trying to make, and what context he is trying to make it.

I like generating discussion in a more in depth manner. But people carrying on like their ass is on fire is beyond what I am trying to achieve.

·
Linux User
214 Posts
cyn11c said:
Nope didn't post to get angry responses. I only posted it because it was the best review I actually read about the ST170 - and I do agree with the article after having driven one.

Projekt is right - choice is personal and is right about the Focus's role - its not a performance car, and if you want to make it one a lot of dosh will come of it.

Reviews are reviews. People like them manage to drive a hell of a lot more cars than what we would ever in our lives so we can't completely rubbish them for what they write. There are sometimes I read reviews and think twice as to what angle the author of the article is trying to make, and what context he is trying to make it.

I like generating discussion in a more in depth manner. But people carrying on like their ass is on fire is beyond what I am trying to achieve.

touché

So what did you go for in the end cyn11c?

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Yeah tell us what you got cyn11c, im saying astra turbo :p
I love my ST best car i have, enough power if you know how to drive the thing ;)

Cheers

Chris

·
Linux User
214 Posts
I'm with you fordel, an astra would explain his reluctance......just tell us already cyn11c.......

·
184 Posts
yes please do tell.........

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
Zetec said:
In the end the less people who like it the better. Less idiots to steal them, less idiots to drool over them and more idiots to blast on the road when they are too ignorant to realise that it's actually a pretty decent car!!

That is my sentiments exactly, i get looks from people as the car looks nice, but not many of them really have a clue as to what it is.

The fact that there were only 120 odd bought into the country makes it better for me as well, as less people to own them, therefore I own something that is a little less common then the rest of the heard and something which is an awesome car..

Handling is the cars strong point, as proved to my g/f the other day coming down the adelaide hills in the wet, the traction control / ABS working nicely

All I have is praise for the car, best thing i have ever driven

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope I already have an Astra - can't wait to see the last of it. Turbo was out of the equation - the ST170 has it all over the Astra in handling but not the herbs - and in that instance choosing between the two (if it was my only choice?) ST of course. Happy? :) I'll refer you to "The Australian" newspaper online - check out the motoring section, and read the reviews of the Astra Turbo and ST - I agree with their sentiments there. I won't tell you the outcome but yes they are right.

No ladies and gents I have gone left field. Honda Accord Euro *cringe* ..... *peek through fingers*. It will be sitting on a set of 18's and lowered. These rims look pretty trick on an ST for all you punters out there (www.roh.com.au - check out the "Modena" 3 piece 18" are a minimum up to 19" max).

My rationale? Don't like turbo cars. I always liked a high output four cylinder. I wanted space, I wanted 6 speeds, so my list came to either the ST or the Honda. Test drove the Honda on the weekend (and the SP23 as well guys.... its a piece of SHIT dont bother with it) and thought I can one of these on road cheaper than an ST. Personal choice I guess - I can always make a car handle better for less money than to make it go faster.

Go on .... say it ! :)

·
Linux User
214 Posts
Can't speak for others but I reckon the accord euro is a good car. seen one in my area and I really rate its looks. I think it's up there with the focus and the 350z. The accord and focus are pretty different in my opinion, I don't want the size. Had a bigger car previously and got tired of getting into tight car parks and the fuel consumption, but honda's are always good on fuel. It's funny, here they have a great rep, but overseas (US) people look down on them, at least so I've heard.

Checked out the price of one......not bad at all, the 18's will be good too

I think you may be missing out by not getting the focus (how biased am I), but hey, it's your choice and I haven't driven an accord euro

·
184 Posts
Good choice mate! I'm actually secretly a HONDA fan (don't tell these Ford boys they might bash me) I rekon the accord is awesome denfinatly, If I had the cash i would of got either the euro or a integra type r would be nice.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts