Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Probe GT Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 pgt. I had my automatic transmission rebuilt last week, I picked up the car last wednesday and have been driving with no problems, last night (sat. night) I got in the car after it sat all day in 45 degree temperature and rain, let it warm up for about a minute, and drove off, about 5 mins later on the highway it stalled on me. I got over to the shoulder and it started up 3 out of 25 times, sputtered and died out again......i got it into drive afew times, drove afew feet, only for it to die again.....The car gave me no warnings, no starting problems prior to this, what can be the problem? I had to have it towed to my house after the battery died. Today i gave it a jump, and tried to start it, only to have it crank again, and fail to start. Please help me out, i'm thinking distributor problem, or fuel filter, but i have no idea.....any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks
danny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its probably the ignitor in your distributer. Once it goes bad it stalls the car when heated. Your best bet is is replace the complete ditsy with a reman. w/ the updated new parts. I got mine at Trussville Mazda for a good price.

·
Probe SE driver
99 Posts
PROBEN AINT EZ said:
Its probably the ignitor in your distributer. Once it goes bad it stalls the car when heated. Your best bet is is replace the complete ditsy with a reman. w/ the updated new parts. I got mine at Trussville Mazda for a good price.

That sounds exactly like your problem! though, If it just went bad, it will usually crank after it has cooled off. But this time it might not. never know. But regardless, that does sound like you problem being those always went bad in '93-'94. Kinda like the sticking rear calipers.

·
Probe GT Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took apart the disty, seems everything inside is okay, the only questionable part is the ignition module. That doesnt seem to give spark to the spark plugs.....I'm trying to find an ignition module, and if that fails, then it might be the Crankshaft Position Sensor, which was the case with Don Peters (Tang Pgt) What do you guys think?

·
Probe SE driver
99 Posts
probe 186 said:
took apart the disty, seems everything inside is okay, the only questionable part is the ignition module. That doesnt seem to give spark to the spark plugs.....I'm trying to find an ignition module, and if that fails, then it might be the Crankshaft Position Sensor, which was the case with Don Peters (Tang Pgt) What do you guys think?
you'll prolly spend the as much on a ignitor module as you would a new disty... Might wanna check some prices first.

·
Probe SE driver
99 Posts
probe 186 said:
Do we have the large or small rotor distributor? autozone sells it for like $150 (small) $200 (large). I have yet to find out the price for the ignition module.......
there is a letter on the disty somewhere that would distiguish between the 2, large or small. Unsure of which one though. sorry man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts